HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fairfax teacher Sean Lanigan still suffering from false molestation allegations
Posted by: Atticus Finch ()
Date: May 17, 2011 06:57PM

OK, smarty pants...

A Magistrate found probable cause to issue the arrest warrants
A Judge found there was enough evidence at the preliminary hearing to send to Grand Jury
A Grand Jury (of his peers) indicted him
A Judge chose not to dismiss it and let it go to the jury
An acquital is completely different than falsely accused

But a jury dismissed all charges in 47 minutes...sounds like one overzealous true-believer cop thought she had her man, started the ball rolling, and no one, not a migstrate, judge 1, Grand Jury, or Judge 2, actually looked at the facts and the ridiculous testimony of the plaintif, and derailed this idocy.

A jury of non-lawyers, but all of whom thankfully possessed some degree of intellect threw this ridiculous case out in, let me repeat this...47 minutes!

So you're implying that he actually is guilty? You're comparing Lanigan to OJ?

What an asshat...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax teacher Sean Lanigan still suffering from false molestation allegations
Posted by: The people speak ()
Date: May 17, 2011 07:13PM

"A little information for all those who only deal with the courts for their weed charges"...

Very funny...your lame defense of the court system in this pathetic case was even funnier...

Posted by: Back on up... ()
Date: May 17, 2011 11:44PM

It's a damn shame that such a mess ends up with donations being made to a neighborhood bank account, in his name, as if he's an indigent needing a kidney.That's a profession??

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: May 18, 2011 12:02AM

Um... he was deprived of his livelihood on account of false accusations made against him. I don't really see a problem with setting up an account to help the guy and his family out.

Posted by: Back on up... ()
Date: May 18, 2011 05:54AM

What I meant was that it's an indictment of the entire system, that such a shoddy investigation can be done, knee jerk decisions based on so little, etc. If it was really a profession, all people in the industry would act PROFESSIIONally.

In other industries, there would be no reason for donations. I've already made mine.

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: May 18, 2011 09:03AM

justsayin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where do they have an obligation to do that? They
> have an obligation to supply a place and teachers
> using public funding, that is about it. The rest
> is there to protect against lawsuits. Parents out
> of room = only one story.

Ever heard the term, "in loco parentis"?

Posted by: Les ()
Date: May 19, 2011 12:04AM

Washington Post Editorial: Fairfax County needs to right the wrongs against Sean Lanigan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/fairfax-county-needs-to-right-the-wrongs-against-sean-lanigan/2011/05/17/AFYJRl6G_story.html

Date: May 19, 2011 12:10AM

Lanny Davis on Huffington Post goes even further, and it looks like Nicole Christian appears to have done this before.

I wish the Post had published its photographs with the word "shame" as a common caption. At the very least, therefore, I want to nominate certain individuals by name into what should be called the "Fairfax County Law Enforcement System Hall of Shame":

- First and foremost, Nicole Christian, the lead detective whose flawed and biased investigation was centrally responsible for the false charges being filed against Lanigan. The Post reported that Fairfax prosecutors subsequently dismissed another of Christian's child-abuse cases in the middle of a trial because she acknowledged misstating the facts in her sworn testimony. Has she been fired? Why not? Has she been prosecuted for perjury in the subsequent case? Why not?

- Fairfax Commonwealth Attorney Raymond F. Morrogh, who pressed the case and obtained an indictment even after the two girls recanted key prior testimony -- and couldn't even get a jury to deliberate for more than 47 minutes before acquittal. Why isn't Morrogh embarrassed and publicly apologizing to Lanigan? Why hasn't he resigned?

- The Fairfax County Police Department, which chose to put out a press release and mug photo of Lanigan -- and now declines to comment to the Post, much less apologize to Lanigan.

- The head of the Fairfax County school district -- who is he? His name is never mentioned in the Post story. He/she or one of his/her underlings continues to hound Lanigan, treating him as if he'd been found guilty, and refuse to pay all his legal fees and take responsibility for this gross injustice.

- And regarding the two minors who caused this tragedy more than anyone else: I respect the Post's policy not to name them because they are minors. But I wonder whether they would learn a much more profound lesson if their parents forced them to take public responsibility -- and issue a public apology. At the very least, why did the parents "decline to comment" to the Post? Why didn't they apologize to Lanigan publicly?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lanny-davis/the-shameful-case-of-sean_b_863721.html

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 19, 2011 06:30AM

just to devil's advocate - I can see why they would not want to go public just seeing the hatred that is going on now towards them

If your kid did this bitch-ass shit, would you want to get bricks thrown thru yr living room window every night for it?

I pray that they and Lanigan have had a sit-down apology in private, though.

As for the school system, yeah - they need to Cowboy up and do the right thing, here...........................

Posted by: ex-teacher ()
Date: May 19, 2011 12:08PM

In one of the comments on the Huffington Post, re Lanny Davis'article, a former public defender stated:

As a former Public Defender, I even heard a judge comment, off the bench "They're all guilty of something.­" About one client who did NOT have a prior, I remember repeating to two clerks, "He was acquitted, acquitted!­" to which they responded "That doesn't mean he didn't do it." As for the lead investigat­or in Mr. Lanigan's case, she is teflon because a) the culture of any prosecutor­'s office is psychotica­lly rigid in the belief that law enforcemen­t officers do not lie, and b) do you know of any prosecutor elected without the endorsemen­t of the local law enforcemen­t organizati­ons? Regarding the school district, I can actually understand them running scared. Most of their parents probably didn't pay attention to petty details like, the kids lied, and probably think "Where there's smoke, there's fire," anyway. So the district probably feels like there's a noose around its neck having Lanigan still employed at all.

I recall a former FCPS Superintendent, Bud Spillane, uttering those exact words. FCPS mentality is that students don't lie and that even if there is a any question at all to what might be said by a student then by all means go after the teacher with guns blazing. I understand that FCPS must be proactive in protecting children but they have gone far beyond that standard.

And has been mentioned in another thread there a administrators who try to "make their bones" by going after any teacher they can.

Date: May 19, 2011 01:05PM

There's a much newer comment in the Lanny Davis' article.

As the mother of the “other girl”, I would like to respond to the question as to the "two minors", and why they haven't apologized­.. My daughter was they key eye witness in this case. I have spoken with the Post, and with Fairfax Times. My daughter was a victim of harassment by not only her peers, the accuser (who lived in the same neighborho­od) and the accuser's family, but by the FCPD and FCCPS. I've written to the school and the FCPD, and had recieved a response from the school. All of which has been given to Sean and his attorney. CPS had dropped the case only weeks after Sean's hearing.
If you are interested in seeing these letters, feel free to contact me, and I will gladly send them to you. Laws were not abided by, in the interview process, in regards to my daughter. And, even after my verbal and written requests to the school and to the Detective N.C., they STILL continued to harass my daughter in school.
Had they listened from the beginning, this case should have never even gone to trial to begin with.
While the accuser continues to live a happy life in the same home and neighborho­od, I have since moved my daughter OUT of state.
My daughter owes No apologies. She has worked with DEFENDING Sean throughout the entire court process. He even gave her a hug outside of the courthouse after the verdict.

Posted by: Teacher mom ()
Date: May 19, 2011 08:09PM

As a high school teacher and the mother of four young adults I can assure you that her parents are just like this girl. Children learn their behavior from their parents. It is a scary situation in schools these days. Amoral students abound, cheating is rampant, and responsibility is constantly shirked by parents and students. If I had seen this situation coming years ago, I would have taken my physics degree and gone into a more lucrative, less dangerous field. However, I love to teach and love children (hence the four kids) and, silly me, wanted to bring a love of math and science to young people. In the future, who will teach our kids math and science? There is already a scarcity of qualified teachers in these fields and who will be willing to tolerate the despicable treatment by parents and school administrators? I hope that FCPS will do right by Mr. Lanigan and pay his legal bills and restore his good name!

Posted by: plagiarist poacher ()
Date: May 19, 2011 11:17PM

jackjohnson-is-innocent-too Wrote:
> A little information for all those who only deal
> with the courts for their weed charges:
> A Magistrate found probable cause to issue the
> arrest warrants
> A Judge found there was enough evidence at the
> preliminary hearing to send to Grand Jury
> A Grand Jury (of his peers) indicted him
> A Judge chose not to dismiss it and let it go to
> the jury
> An acquital is completely different than falsely
> accused
>
> Weren't OJ and Michael Jackson acquitted???

Wow! lifted straight from the a certain someone's commentary.

Date: May 19, 2011 11:36PM

Les Wrote:
> There's a much newer comment in the Lanny Davis'
> article.
>
> As the mother of the “other girl”, I would
> like to respond to the question as to the "two
> minors", and why they haven't apologized­.. My
> daughter was they key eye witness in this case. I
> have spoken with the Post, and with Fairfax Times.
> My daughter was a victim of harassment by not only
> her peers, the accuser (who lived in the same
> neighborho­od) and the accuser's family, but by
> the FCPD and FCCPS. I've written to the school and
> the FCPD, and had recieved a response from the
> school. All of which has been given to Sean and
> his attorney. CPS had dropped the case only weeks
> after Sean's hearing.
> If you are interested in seeing these letters,
> feel free to contact me, and I will gladly send
> them to you. Laws were not abided by, in the
> interview process, in regards to my daughter. And,
> even after my verbal and written requests to the
> school and to the Detective N.C., they STILL
> continued to harass my daughter in school.
> Had they listened from the beginning, this case
> should have never even gone to trial to begin
> with.
> While the accuser continues to live a happy life
> in the same home and neighborho­od, I have since
> moved my daughter OUT of state.
> My daughter owes No apologies. She has worked with
> DEFENDING Sean throughout the entire court
> process. He even gave her a hug outside of the
> courthouse after the verdict.

....................................................."He even gave her a hug outside of the courthouse after the verdict."..................................................

oh, I'm just gonna leave that one alone

LoLz

Posted by: Free Sean Lanigan ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:35AM

Teacher mom Wrote:
> As a high school teacher and the mother of four
> young adults I can assure you that her parents are
> just like this girl. Children learn their
> behavior from their parents. It is a scary
> situation in schools these days. Amoral students
> abound, cheating is rampant, and responsibility is
> constantly shirked by parents and students. If I
> had seen this situation coming years ago, I would
> have taken my physics degree and gone into a more
> lucrative, less dangerous field. However, I love
> to teach and love children (hence the four kids)
> and, silly me, wanted to bring a love of math and
> science to young people. In the future, who will
> teach our kids math and science? There is already
> a scarcity of qualified teachers in these fields
> and who will be willing to tolerate the despicable
> treatment by parents and school administrators? I
> hope that FCPS will do right by Mr. Lanigan and
> pay his legal bills and restore his good name!

I am not a teacher, but well could have been if I followed my passion. Now 30 years down the road, and nearly being done raising my own children, I could not have expressed the state of our education system and society any better. I do fear that our country will close the gap (in the wrong direction) with countries that have poor education systems, because, frankly, who will want to teach these spoiled brats with their helicopter parents who believe that their offspring are the second coming of Jesus Christ (or, if you are not Christian, parents who believe that their children are never at fault, and, even if so, are above the law).

God help us.

Posted by: Duchess ()
Date: May 20, 2011 10:24AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-state-of-nova/post/lanigan-update-fairfax-chief-rohrer-issues-statement/2011/05/19/AFIsaM7G_blog.html

Well, in today's post Chief Rohrer states the witness did not recant, even though her Mother says she did. Who knows what the truth is, but I don't think Chief Rohrer is interested in anything but protecting the police officers involved. Too bad FCPS doesn't feel the same way about its exonerated employees.

Posted by: Atticus Finch is back ()
Date: May 20, 2011 11:22AM

"I strongly refute the allegations and character assassination statements made against our detectives in the media reports and blog comments, and will be taking additional steps along with Commonwealth’s Attorney Ray Morrogh, to protect their character and integrity, along with the integrity of the Police Department and his office."

I'm reading that as a threat by Chief Rohrer. I'm not sure what "additional steps" Rohrer intends to take, but given the shabby way this case was handled, it seems entirely in character with the Fairfax Police Dept that they would lash out at any criticism...

This pathetic affair just gets more dismal every day. If I was Lanigan, I would sue this county, and just take his family and get the hell out of here...

Posted by: Duchess ()
Date: May 20, 2011 11:29AM

I think the FCPD and Commonwealth Attorney are inviting a Federal Investigation--

"additional steps along with Commonwealth’s Attorney Ray Morrogh, to protect their character and integrity, along with the integrity of the Police Department and his office."

Thats a threat, just like witnesses for the defense were threatened with obstruction of justice charges.

Posted by: Duhhhhh ()
Date: May 20, 2011 11:47AM

The fucks at FCPD are STILL trying to bury this dude and/or insist he is guilty, even in the Chief's press statement:

"In a trial held almost a year ago, the teacher was found not guilty by a jury on the charges of abduction and aggravated sexual battery. Yet, as we all know, trials, particularly in a case involving allegations and subsequent testimony by a young victim and/or a young witness, can be difficult. Most of us also know that in many trials some evidence is presented, some is not or cannot be used, and some witnesses testify, others do not. We also know that a much higher burden of proof is required to convict a person, one higher than that required to support an arrest."

and then...

"In order to convict a person of any criminal offense, the Commonwealth is required to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, the highest burden of proof in our legal system. At trial, the jury determined that the evidence presented against the teacher fell short of proving his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The legal process regarding this case was consistent with established legal standards of due process and the right of the accused to have his case heard before a jury of his peers. Unfortunately, although we always respect a verdict as rendered by a judge or jury, almost any experienced officer and detective has experienced a verdict that is sometimes unpredictable -- yet it does not mean that the investigation was improper. "

That's basically a backhanded way of saying "ohhh, don't you fret, he did it and we ALMOST had him, but he got away on technicalities in court".

It's funny how in his press release he alludes to the police and the prosecutor only going off of what information they had available, meanwhile there's repeated proof of them actively refusing any information that didn't match their preconceived determination of what happened.

Go figure.

... and then to act like you and your officers are wrongly inconvenienced because the underbelly of this case has been exposed (by the same media that descended on this poor guy with a vengeance to start with).

The cops in this case made up their mind that they had a child molestor and went way out in left field trying to make a case to match their decision. That in itself isn't "proper protocol".

Date: May 20, 2011 11:50AM

Some of their figures for don't seem quite credible. Noticed that their slide show at http://www.slideshare.net/fairfaxcounty/child-abuse-awareness-from-fairfax-county-police on child abuse incorporates figures on activity that may not constitute abuse.

"1 in 3 girls will have sexual contact with an adult."

Guess some places still prosecute 18-yr olds that date 16- and 17-year olds.

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: May 20, 2011 01:16PM

I just sent off an email to my supervisor asking for this matter to be brought up with the entire Board of Supervisors.

Posted by: RIP-macho man ()
Date: May 20, 2011 06:05PM

Everyone is complaining because the Police charged him but whenever the Police don't charge someone in a case like this there would still be complaining.
People are never happy!

Posted by: MRNabokovToYou ()
Date: May 20, 2011 06:15PM

I was recently asked to do some volunteer work with students at a Fairfax County school. After reading about the Lanigan case, I phoned my contact at the school and told her no fucking way (OK, I didn't really say "fucking") would I would risk my reputation and career being a volunteer at the school, considering the way the Fairfax police perform their "investigations, and the way that the school system would hang me out to dry if any psycho student might decide to make some unfounded acusatory statement about me...what kind of chance would I have with Detective Christian on the case?

And that statement by Chief Rohrer...I actually thought that was some sort of bit of cutting and pasting words by a clever FFX'er...but the fact that Rohrer actually said that...disguesting...first, implying that Lanigan was guilty, but had somehow slipped through the court system, because of what...a gullable jury quickly swayed by a slippery defense lawyer? How about a case that didn't hold water for five minutes?

And then, to say that "additional steps" are being taken to defend his officers? What the hell does that mean? What sort of additional steps does our distinguished chief have in mind? Sounds like a threat to me...

Finding something better to do with my spare time than be a volunteer at a Fairfax County school...

Posted by: SMH ()
Date: May 22, 2011 06:35PM

Les Wrote:
> My daughter owes No apologies. She has worked with
> DEFENDING Sean throughout the entire court
> process. He even gave her a hug outside of the
> courthouse after the verdict.

So dude STILL hasn't learned?

edit by Cary (the admin): This post was from a FiOS connection in Newark, NJ. A few posts have grabbed national attention recently and we've had a corresponding flood of "out-of-area" posters on this board. This particular post isn't too egregious but many others are. FiOS users in Newark, NJ and "SBCGlobal" users in Tennessee were just blocked from posting to this forum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 06:13PM by Cary.

Posted by: Legal Eagle ()
Date: May 22, 2011 06:43PM

He didn't get off on a technicality, he wasn't found guilty because he wasn't guilty. The witness had lied about the whole thing. She confessed to lying. There's nothing more anyone can do unless there is some REAL evidence to show otherwise.

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: May 23, 2011 05:38PM

Any guess who the employee is here?

Fairfax County School Board minutes: March 24, 2011

http://www.fcps.edu/schlbd/minutes/documents/20110324R.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/schlbd/minutes/index.htm

Date: May 23, 2011 06:08PM

hmmmmmm ..................$60 k is nice chunk of change :)

Date: May 23, 2011 06:19PM

His legal expenses were twice that.

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> hmmmmmm ..................$60 k is nice chunk of
> change :)

Date: May 23, 2011 06:23PM

Date: May 23, 2011 06:38PM

Interesting case of Salvatore Culosi where the FCPD tried to set him up on gambling charges, inadvertently killed him in a SWAT team raid, and then tried to cover it up...

http://williamlanderson.blogspot.com/2011/05/sean-lanigan-is-lucky-at-least-fairfax.html

Posted by: Fegelein ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:10AM

I hope that he sues that girls family and FCPS.

Date: May 24, 2011 08:55AM

@GMU Hokie - which is why I used the word "change"

@Fegelein - I agree wholehartedly with suing FCPS - but you cant sue a kid, I dont think...........

Date: May 24, 2011 08:56AM

@Les - it's offtopic - but yeah, it's A-MAY-ZING how we, the citizens of Fairfax County have let that MURDER of that dude slide. Were there any guns in the house at the time of the raid?

Date: May 24, 2011 10:12AM

Betting on football games, not table games. Unarmed. No drugs as alleged. It's the first I had heard of the case. Didn't this occur well before the state's big crackdown on poker games?

Posted by: Oh, Oh, Sean ()
Date: May 24, 2011 10:51AM

There's something big being overlooked in this whole issue. Sure, Sean Lanigan is being a crybaby about his fees that incurred for hiring a lawyer for his defense.

1) If he was so sure he was "innocent", why did he have to hire such a high-priced lawyer? I'm sure he was scared that things could turn out quite wrong for him, so he found a pricey lawyer to ensure he'd be taken care of.

2) Additionally, teachers in the public school system are offered the opportunity to purchase legal defense insurance. They can have this premium for this insurance deducted from their paychecks. Now, given the situations that we hear about teachers facing each and every day, why didn't he buy this insurance? He gambled - and lost.

For those of us out there that work in other professions, we care that our families would be provided for if we were injured and couldn't work anymore. Thus, we purchase disability insurance if given the option. That is pretty much common sense. In Sean's case, I think the same logic applies. He had the opportunity to buy that insurance, but didn't. If he had, these legal fees wouldn't have been an issue.

Posted by: oh oh sean is ridiculous ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:14AM

Oh, Oh, Sean - he hired a high priced lawyer because that is what it takes to obtain effective representation. This was of course reflected in the Duke Lacrosse case, where a competent team of defense lawyers vivisected a hoax being perpetrated by the DA, who conspired to hide the fact that the alleged victim (now on trial for murder for an unrelated event) had on her underwear the DNA of 5 different men, none of whom were among the 46 members of the team. Those lawyers were diligent and poured through thousands of pages of documents to discover the hoax. Darn right Lanigan hired a good defense attorney - the vast resources of the County were arrayed against him - and those resources insisted on bringing the case even though the accuser recanted her earlier statements, as did other witnesses. No one familiar with legal processes would have recommended any other course of action.

This case concerns me greatly, because the Commonwealth Attorney and the detective tried a case to prove a narrative - that teacher/student sexual abuse is a problem and that because it is so accusers never lie - as opposed to trying a case to prove a set of facts. It undermines our justice system when prosecutors and the police proceed in this manner. Indeed, they undermine future legitimate sexual abuse prosecutions as well.

Don't take any of this as a defense of Lanigan's conduct from a professional standpoint. But he certainly did not deserve a criminal trial. And above all else, a prosecutor's duty is not to win, but to do justice. In this respect their responsibilities differ from criminal defense attorneys.

By the way, the accuser and her family in my view merit ample scorn. What kind of parents would permit their daughter to engage in such manipulative behavior, and then support it through a laughable trial which resulted in giving this girl a reputation and a way of dealing with problems which will significantly impair her life?

Date: May 24, 2011 11:26AM

@oh oh sean is ridiculous - I shudder to think of yr kid telling you they were sexually assaulted and them having to deal with you saying "PROVE IT" to them :(

can you even think that maybe the parents believed their kid, didnt know she was lying? Is there ANY proof to suggest otherwise? If so, then I digress and yeah, they should be dragged thru the mud for misusing the legal system.

But if not, then I humbly suggest you STFU. Kids should be believed when stuff like this comes up, and the shit needs to be investigated. Where things handled wrong in this case? YES! But to blame the parents for believing their daughter and not the accused rapist of their daughter - that's just ludicrous. Not unless you have some proof they KNEW she was lying...................

and not just some "oh, I believe it because blah blah blah", I mean real proof

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 11:33AM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: Okie Dokie ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:29AM

^None of that matters. There was no case against him. They tried to persecute the man by intimidating witnesses and bankrupting him. Defense fund or no, the taxpayers will probably have to foot the bill to cover the fees and compensatory damages.

Posted by: being a teacher must suck ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:32AM

I feel sorry for the teacher.

His life has been ruined and the lives of his family.

He is also broke and the school will not give him enough money to settle.

Date: May 24, 2011 11:34AM

FCPS needs to settle this NOW! Make the man whole for the mess that THEY made outta this so we can move past this - cause the longer this drags out, the worse it gets

Posted by: Teacherspouse ()
Date: May 24, 2011 01:25PM

A little girl with a grudge against a teacher started out with a convincing accusation of molestation and a corroborating eye witness.

She ended up with no corroborating witness and a lie for her most sensational accusation. She was tripped up by pesky physical evidence. A jury acquitted the PE Teacher on the first vote without deliberation.

But she got her revenge anyway. The PE teacher is deeply in debt, will not be able to get another job due to bad publicity and he has been de-staffed by Fairfax County Public Schools. He must now decide whether to go further into debt with an expensive civil suit and he knows there is no guarantee that he can recover his losses or clear his name.

Meanwhile, the school administration, school board, police and Commonwealth’s Attorney sit back with their fat salaries and publicly funded legal staffs, waiting for this nuisance to go away.

Welcome to Fairfax County, Virginia, where the child is always right and teachers are totally disposable.

Posted by: TeacherSpouse ()
Date: May 24, 2011 01:28PM

A girl with a grudge against a teacher started out with a convincing accusation of molestation and a corroborating eye witness.

She ended up with no corroborating witness and a lie for her most sensational accusation. She was tripped up by pesky physical evidence. A jury acquitted the PE Teacher on the first vote without deliberation.

But she got her revenge anyway. The PE teacher is deeply in debt, will not be able to get another job due to bad publicity and he has been de-staffed by Fairfax County Public Schools. He must now decide whether to go further into debt with an expensive civil suit and he knows there is no guarantee that he can recover his losses or clear his name.

Meanwhile, the school administration, school board, police and Commonwealth’s Attorney sit back with their fat salaries and publicly funded legal staffs, waiting for this nuisance to go away.

Welcome to Fairfax County, Virginia, where the child is always right and teachers are totally disposable.

Posted by: Oh, Oh, Sean ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:01PM

Maybe, all of you missed my first point in my response. Sean Lanigan, as a teacher, is offered the option to purchase legal assistance insurance. He obviously didn't select this benefit option. It seems to me with the issues that get brought up in schools nowadays (whether manufacturered or real), one would opt for this insurance.

'Nuff said.

Date: May 24, 2011 02:03PM

Oh, Oh, Sean Wrote:
> Maybe, all of you missed my first point in my
> response. Sean Lanigan, as a teacher, is offered
> the option to purchase legal assistance insurance.
> He obviously didn't select this benefit option.
> It seems to me with the issues that get brought up
> in schools nowadays (whether manufacturered or
> real), one would opt for this insurance.

Actually, dumbass, your first point was casting doubt upon his innocence:

1) If he was so sure he was "innocent", why did he have to hire such a high-priced lawyer? I'm sure he was scared that things could turn out quite wrong for him, so he found a pricey lawyer to ensure he'd be taken care of.

> 'Nuff said.

Indeed.

Posted by: Duhhhhh ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:13PM

Oh, Oh, Sean Wrote:
> Maybe, all of you missed my first point in my
> response. Sean Lanigan, as a teacher, is offered
> the option to purchase legal assistance insurance.
> He obviously didn't select this benefit option.
> It seems to me with the issues that get brought up
> in schools nowadays (whether manufacturered or
> real), one would opt for this insurance.
>
> 'Nuff said.

Can you please provide the specific clause from FCPS benefits packet where it indicates that their pre-paid legal services fully cover any & all expenses incurred resulting from a criminal felony indictment ?

Most cover standard expenses related to housekeeping type activities: financial planning, wills, adoption, divorce, criminal misdeamenor cases (speeding) etc and in many cases still do not provide 100% coverage for even those services.

Please post the information from the FCPS legal plans ASAP.

TKS.

Posted by: Mary ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:19PM

Amen! There is a case being tried right this moment by the same Prosecutor. They will never stop!It is sooooo easy for girls to point the finger because of the willingness to prosecute and because when they get caught in a lie, nothing happens to them. Lord have Mercy!!!!

Posted by: I am glad I only have boys ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:22PM

Girls today are dressing like call girls starting at sixth grade.

Hey moms, stop dressing your girls like whores.

This girl made up the story.

Her parents should be sued too.

Date: May 24, 2011 02:26PM

Give me a break! Do you know what kind of representation you get when you have a legal plan? There is an allowance of so much which doesnt even pay for the trip to the courthouse! All the expenses are not just the lawyer fees. The court charges for transcripts, investigators have to be paid. Besides, you know what it takes to defend a case like that? Many sleepless nights, constant study of the law to find a defense for the client, so the attorney has to be paid for his services (of course, some charge more than others and it is wise to shop around. Many good ones out there with not much notority).

Date: May 24, 2011 02:30PM

It's part of professional liability insurance. Compensation of legal defense fees in a criminal case is very low. It's roughly what the teachers union offers ($35,000).

http://www.neamb.com/home/1212_1840.htm#

Date: May 24, 2011 02:39PM

People are never happy? We are very happy when they prosecute the right person, but more than half the men in jail (at our expense) are probably innocent because of lousy police work. You know how easy it is for them to send someone to jail and how hard it is to defend yourself? Everything goes against you. The Judges bend backwards for the Police and Prosecution. Evidence that is important for the defense is not allowed in by the judge. The fact that the girl is a liar and a slut will never be known by the Jury because it will be blocked out. The girl will be treated like a little innocent girl and all the while she has a world of sexual knowledge that makes her capable of making up the story. Remember when they burnt the Witches just because the young girls said so? That's is what is happening now. It is all in what they want to believe and do. They should all have to some day have a taste of their own medicine!

Posted by: oh oh sean is ridiculous ()
Date: May 24, 2011 08:31PM

Gordon - I have read your posts in the past and it is a bit silly to engage with you since it is clear you are neither very bright and certainly not very well educated.

Certainly a parent should absolutely support their child in the cases of allegations of abuse. But that is not the point. When it becomes clear (through recantation and otherwise, including an utter lack of corroboration and implausible site evidence) that not only will not a conviction obtain, but that the overwhelming majority of reasoned opinion (including a jury who literally laughed this out of court) will be absolutely dead set against this girl, a parent - who is supposed to prepare for consequences - has a higher calling and must look out for the child's long term well being. And when evidence - albeit not proof - surfaces that the family attempted to frustrate witnesses - well, that goes beyond poor judgment and belongs in the category of deeply negative enabling.

I realize that this explanation goes beyond your pithy STFU - a manifestation of our simply awesome intellect, right? But it does speak directly to your points. And I should end the discussion here, because to expect anything rational in return in unrealistic.

Date: May 24, 2011 08:44PM

@ohoh - Beautiful. The "I'm so superior and you are nothing" approach to debate. Nothing like speaking to ppl who believe they are Christ.

As I said, NINE HOURS AGO:

"can you even think that maybe the parents believed their kid, didnt know she was lying? Is there ANY proof to suggest otherwise? If so, then I digress and yeah, they should be dragged thru the mud for misusing the legal system."

Next time learn to read before sprouting off like you think you can cater a wedding party from 5 loaves of bread and a cpl of fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 10:10PM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: ccpplltt ()
Date: May 24, 2011 10:01PM

any of you dumbasses realize that karin lanigan - the 'poor wife', was given the option to resign (and did) because she was having sex on duty with some cops at her station? And they were both swingers and tried to sleep with women at the department...go ahead and ask them about that!

Posted by: ccpplltt ()
Date: May 24, 2011 10:03PM

she worked for ffx pd for a few years. her husband was a weirdo and it did not come as a shock to me. just because a jury couldnt convict him DOES NOT mean he is innocent. and there was a witness however i think her mom was banging sean....

Date: May 24, 2011 11:13PM

Detective Christian! Nice to see you here... bitch.

EDIT:

ccpplltt Wrote:
> just because a jury couldnt convict him DOES NOT
> mean he is innocent.

"couldn't convict" is one thing. They couldn't acquit him fast enough. Your case was literally laughed out of the courtroom, Detective Christian.

> and there was a witness
> however i think her mom was banging sean....

Since your threats of prosecution for obstruction of justice fell through, you're reduced to making unverifiable claims like these, Detective? Things are going to be VERY interesting when Lanigan gets around to filing his civil case against you... bitch.

By the way, is your appearance here one of those "additional steps" to protect your "character and integrity" that "Colonel" Rohrer blustered about the other day? Because if it is, you're doing a bang-up job.

Bitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 11:18PM by Ut videam.

Posted by: mxpcklt ()
Date: May 25, 2011 12:35AM

When a cop goes over the top: more on the Lanigan case

http://www.renewamerica.com/analysis/vernon/110519

Posted by: Swingers? ()
Date: May 25, 2011 10:17AM

What?? Lanigan and his wife are swingers? She was banging cops?

I've been at every swingers party in Fairfax and I've never seen Lanigan or his wife.

White rock in the front yard...did I miss one?

And one of the witnesses in this case was getting nailed by Lanigan?

Gosh, why does all this sound like total made up bullshit?

Date: May 25, 2011 10:23AM

Swingers? Wrote:
> Gosh, why does all this sound like total made up
> bullshit?

'Cause that's how FCPD rolls, yo.

Date: May 25, 2011 10:36AM

Next you check craigslist personals, look for the ad with the stuck keys and you'll know it's ccpplltt ...

Date: May 28, 2011 08:42AM

Had Sean Lanigan not hired a good attorney, his fate could have been similar to those profiled in this book:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/books/review/book-review-convicting-the-innocent-where-criminal-prosecutions-go-wrong-by-brandon-l-garrett.html?_r=1&nl=books&emc=booksupdateema3&pagewanted=print

Re: Fairfax teacher Sean Lanigan still suffering from false molestation allegations Posted by: Mary ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:26PM

Give me a break! Do you know what kind of representation you get when you have a legal plan? There is an allowance of so much which doesnt even pay for the trip to the courthouse! All the expenses are not just the lawyer fees. The court charges for transcripts, investigators have to be paid. Besides, you know what it takes to defend a case like that? Many sleepless nights, constant study of the law to find a defense for the client, so the attorney has to be paid for his services (of course, some charge more than others and it is wise to shop around. Many good ones out there with not much notority).

Posted by: UShowMeYours ()
Date: May 28, 2011 02:18PM

FEA professional insuarance caps at $35K. Mr. Greenspun was the 2nd attorney for Lanigan...he's a champion.

Posted by: Happy ()
Date: May 30, 2011 08:39PM

If we can agree that something terrible has happened here; that the FCPS and FCPD are behaving in completely predictable ways, the question becomes, how do we move forward and prevent a recurrence?

What is to prevent another story against another teacher ending up with the same result ?

Where is the accountability ?

Kick out the School Board members ?

Deny the sitting BoS their reelection ?

Date: May 30, 2011 08:48PM

Happy Wrote:
> If we can agree that something terrible has
> happened here; that the FCPS and FCPD are behaving
> in completely predictable ways, the question
> becomes, how do we move forward and prevent a
> recurrence?

yeah, the school wants to make sure teachers arent fucking students and the cops want to investigate those alllegations - very predictable LoLz
>
> What is to prevent another story against another
> teacher ending up with the same result ?

Well, dont, as an adult, get caught up in compromising positions with kids. Understand the dangers that are out there (i.e. LEARN FORM THIS INCIDENT!!)
>
> Where is the accountability ?

well, FCPS does need to owe up to errors in this - but at the same time, could open themselves to a lawsuit if they do - catch 22 in this crazy world of ours...........
>
> Kick out the School Board members ?

yeah, that'll fix little kid lies, now wont it?
>
> Deny the sitting BoS their reelection ?

I'm gonna do that anyways for other reasons, but THANKS FOR PLAYING!

Posted by: Gordon BVD ()
Date: May 30, 2011 09:47PM

Is Gordon Blvd Troll?

He/She has the same dry alcoholic bipolar writing style

Posted by: HE DID IT ()
Date: June 24, 2012 09:34PM

HIS RICH KNOW THEY JUST PAID HIM 75K

Posted by: HE DID IT ()
Date: June 24, 2012 09:34PM

HIS RICH KNOW THEY JUST PAID HIM 75K

Posted by: Kane ()
Date: June 24, 2012 11:25PM

Wow, hope you're not a FCPS student...you write like one, though...

Posted by: Lester ()
Date: June 25, 2012 01:02PM

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: June 25, 2012 01:07PM

This is why the accused should be as anonymous as the accuser until a conviction is reached. Then go after a convicted person for other victims if they come forward. The accusation alone can end a career, there is no reason anonymity can't be extended both ways until a conviction is reached.

Posted by: ****More info**** ()
Date: June 30, 2012 01:24PM

School system repays some of falsely accused teacher’s legal fees
Since his exoneration, Lanigan has returned to work as a physical education teacher
by Gregg MacDonald, Staff Writer
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20120625/NEWS/706259959/1076/fairfaxTimes/School-system-repays-some-of-falsely-accused-teacher’s-legal-fees&template=fairfaxTimes

Fairfax County Public Schools has agreed to pay some of the legal fees of former Centre Ridge Elementary School teacher and soccer coach Sean Lanigan, who — in 2010 — was falsely accused of sexually assaulting and abducting a 12-year-old, female student.

Lanigan and the school system have agreed to a settlement of $72,838. Lanigan said he spent $125,000 on his defense.

“The School Board and Mr. Lanigan have reached a settlement on essentially the same terms that were offered to him last November,” said school system spokesman John Torre in an email. “The School Board agreed to reimburse Mr. Lanigan for the amount of his attorneys' fees from his criminal case that were not already paid to him by his teachers' union insurance policy.”

Court records show Lanigan originally sought $107,838, but only received a $35,000 insurance payment from the Fairfax County Federation of Teachers union.

In 2010, a Fairfax County jury took less than 50 minutes to come back with a not guilty verdicts in Lanigan’s trial.

Lanigan’s accuser had told the school principal Lanigan molested her in the school gym.

During the four-day trial before Circuit Court Judge Charles J. Maxfield, the sixth-grader testified she was with a friend helping Lanigan clean up the gym when Lanigan picked her up, touched her inappropriately on both the breasts and buttocks, and then carried her into a nearby storage room. The girl then said Lanigan put her down on some folded gym mats and said something about treating her "like a queen."

The girl also testified that when a school bell rang, Lanigan held her against her will and prevented her from initially leaving the room.

However, upon cross examination by Lanigan's attorney Peter D. Greenspun, the girl admitted Lanigan did not touch her buttocks, but in fact came into contact only with her upper leg.

The accuser's best friend — another sixth-grade girl who was there when the incident in question occurred — testified she saw no sexual impropriety in the way Lanigan picked up the other girl, and said the entire incident had been all in fun. The best friend also testified she was told by Lanigan's accuser the two "needed to get their stories straight" immediately after the alleged incident. Both girls were part of a school program called P.E. Pals, in which students tidy up the gym.

On the stand, Lanigan's accuser admitted to Greenspun she was mad at Lanigan for several reasons, including an earlier reprimand and threat to remove her from the P.E. Pals program.

Some of the girl’s classmates testified they had heard her say she "hated Lanigan" and later boasted about "trying to sue the school for money."

Another factor in the case was the accuser's testimony that blue gym mats had been present in the storeroom where the incident allegedly occurred. Teachers and custodial staff testified mats never are stored there, and it was physically impossible for the mats to have been in that room because of the amount of sports equipment regularly stored in the space.

After his exoneration, Lanigan, now 45, said the five-month ordeal had been "a living hell" for him and his family.

He had been a full-time physical education teacher in Fairfax County since 1997, and taught at Centre Ridge Elementary school in Centreville since 1998.

He also coached soccer at Herndon High School and led the team to three Northern Region championships during the five years he initially coached there from 1996 to 2000. He was named The Washington Post All-Met Coach of the Year in 1996. He left Herndon for eight years to focus on coaching youth soccer teams, but returned as Herndon's soccer coach in 2008.

In addition to those coaching duties, he also coached youth soccer in McLean and for the Southwestern Youth Association. He also coached basketball in a community league in Centreville, where he lives with his wife and three children.

When Lanigan was charged he immediately was placed on unpaid administrative leave and was indefinitely suspended from all his coaching duties.

With no discernible income and mounting legal fees, "times were tough," he said. "We ate a lot of macaroni and cheese," Lanigan said after his trial.

"This girl flipped my life upside down and I'm trying to get everything back," he said. "It's a long process and it's not all together yet."

Since his exoneration, Lanigan has returned to work as a physical education teacher at South Lakes High School, but he said it is the Herndon coaching job that has given his life some sense of normalcy.

Within 12 hours of his acquittal, Lanigan contacted Herndon Athletics Director Mike Mahoney to ask for his coaching job back. The school agreed.

"We're like a family here," said junior goalkeeper Jack Clarke. "We wanted him to be our coach again."

Date: November 08, 2012 11:38AM

Posted by: It's just money ()
Date: November 08, 2012 12:16PM

How delightful that the FFX school board fought this reimbursement case tooth and nail, costing taxpayers even more...

Posted by: wowzers ()
Date: November 08, 2012 06:32PM

how crazy is that--who authorized these guys to dump money into a for mega profit lawfirm to harass a guy to cover up their shit?

read the article:

"But the real reason that Fairfax authorities stonewalled Lanigan is an 11-page “Investigative Report” by school district investigator Stephen Kerr, written a month after Lanigan’s acquittal. The report concluded that Lanigan — a hugely popular gym teacher, soccer coach and father of three -- was still an unsavory fellow, he just happened to be found not guilty by a Fairfax County jury.

Kerr’s report was riddled with inaccuracies and incomplete information (we’ll get to that in a minute), but it was circulated to top Fairfax school officials. So when Lanigan came to the district and asked that his legal fees be reimbursed, the district didn’t even bother with a reply. They just ignored him. Forced him to hire a lawyer. Then spent $141,000 of taxpayer money."

Who fucking authorized this shit? 140,000 for some kind of bullshit railroad?

And "top faifax officials viewed it"?

Who, and why don't we know who they are, and who gave them the power to decide?

Posted by: the borg ()
Date: November 09, 2012 09:22AM

How hard is it to admit a mistake, pay the guy's legal bills, and move on? You can (almost) see the initial overreaction, taking the kids side, etc., - but once it's proved false, this should be a no-brainer.

Posted by: teacher creature ()
Date: November 09, 2012 10:01AM

the borg Wrote:
> How hard is it to admit a mistake, pay the guy's
> legal bills, and move on? You can (almost) see
> the initial overreaction, taking the kids side,
> etc., - but once it's proved false, this should be
> a no-brainer.

Lanigan supposedly had a number of issues and complaints on his record from his younger teaching days and the school board initially saw this kid touching incident as a way to finally be rid of him I think.

The fact of the matter is that it is unlikely that he has ever abused any kid and he did not deserve what was done to him. I think a 50/50 split on his legal fees would have been reasonable.

Posted by: locker room talk ()
Date: February 23, 2013 12:30PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> and the beat goes on............
>
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-state-of-n
> ova/post/sean-lanigan-the-rest-of-the-story-vol-3/
> 2012/11/08/c13c1656-278a-11e2-9972-71bf64ea091c_bl
> og.html?tid=pm_local_pop

So Lanigan got the cash he wanted but he is still having fundraisers???

I know the guy was innocent but he brought at least half of his troubles on himself. I cant believe he still lives in the area. He should be thinking of his own kids first, he should move and change careers.

Posted by: sl ()
Date: February 23, 2013 05:06PM

locker room talk Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > and the beat goes on............
> >
> >
> >
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-state-of-n
>
> >
> ova/post/sean-lanigan-the-rest-of-the-story-vol-3/
>
> >
> 2012/11/08/c13c1656-278a-11e2-9972-71bf64ea091c_bl
>
> > og.html?tid=pm_local_pop
>
>
> So Lanigan got the cash he wanted but he is still
> having fundraisers???
>
> I know the guy was innocent but he brought at
> least half of his troubles on himself. I cant
> believe he still lives in the area. He should be
> thinking of his own kids first, he should move and
> change careers.

Areyou kidding me ? Imagine if you got framed by an elementry school kid You would move your children and your spouse away from your famiy and support system . He did not bring these problems on him self what career should he do since you know everything and are perfect ?He is one of my sons teachers now and the high school he is at is lucky to have him.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: February 23, 2013 08:51PM

He's a good guy who likes teaching. Admittedly, teaching gym isn't much work.

Posted by: dieing breed ()
Date: February 24, 2013 12:16AM

This shit with these fucking police, prosecutors, sheriff and mega pussy asshole deputies in fairfax county has got to stop.

I'm not even close to being over the execution of Dave Masters by fairfax county police officer David Ziants. Let alone the murder by hanging of Roy Buchanan in the ADC.

Best wishes to you Sean Lanigan.

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: February 24, 2013 01:21PM

sl Wrote:

> Areyou kidding me ? Imagine if you got framed by
> an elementry school kid You would move your
> children and your spouse away from your famiy and
> support system . He did not bring these problems
> on him self
what career should he do since you
> know everything and are perfect ?He is one of my
> sons teachers now and the high school he is at is
> lucky to have him.

The poster that you are replying to probably thinks that Lanigan brought these problems on himself by always 'lifting' these kids up. I'm NOT suggesting that there was anything sexual going on there as the courts acquitted him and the accuser was found to be nothing more than a little brat who had a personal grudge against her teacher.

That said; do NOT pick up 10-13 year old students if you are a male teacher. Nothing good can come from that. Lanigan may have had his heart in the right place but, IMO, he was way deficient on common sense in at least one regard.

I have you now.

Posted by: Cariee ()
Date: May 06, 2014 09:02AM

his at my high school now lol

Posted by: JERK ()
Date: May 06, 2014 12:21PM

HIS STILL A JERK

Posted by: Spicoli ()
Date: May 06, 2014 02:10PM

HIS STILL A JERK

I bet you hate your English teacher, too...

Posted by: Little cunt ()
Date: May 11, 2014 10:38AM

So some little spoiled brat 12 year old cunt can run her mouth, ruin a mans life and she just gets to continue posting on her Justin Bieber fan ficition sites. Those cock sucking parents of hers, and that entire FFX County police dept should be sued.

There is nothing more worthless then FFX County police officers either.

I hope this cunt is being passed around her high school like a joint. Fuck her and I hope her future kids are whores too.

Posted by: WTF? ()
Date: May 12, 2014 09:35PM

I would sue the shit out of FCPS, the detective, and the girl's family.

Posted by: Frontier Justice ()
Date: May 12, 2014 09:47PM

The way that one woman cop tried to railroad Lanigan was particularly disgusting...threatening witnesses that challenged her wildly preconceived notion of events...she was never disciplined...

This whole nightmare was, and still is, a big joke to that little freak girl...just one big LOL

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: May 12, 2014 09:55PM

Wait.....Why isn't the cunt detective behind raked over the coals? And don't give me any "department won't let her speak" bullshit. She's a fucking cop, not a Navy SEAL with a clearance.

Wtf is going on in this country?

Posted by: Read the post article.... ()
Date: May 13, 2014 06:30AM

Read the article.... No one deserves to be falsely accused of anything however Mr. Lanigan put himself in a bad position habitually picking up kids and flipping and twirling them around. Then he couldn't recall if he had ever picked this kid up.... Anyone who has experience working with kids knows that this is a very practice.

Posted by: Arnold ()
Date: May 13, 2014 10:08AM

Children learn from their parents.

Posted by: M3XbT ()
Date: May 14, 2014 08:18PM

Lanigan, who spent more than $100,000 on his defense

----------------------------------
across the country shithole county gov like loudoun and moreso fairfax have been doing massive theft and this is one way

a gov worker employee is accuse by other gov workers on a charge they know won't convict. they spend shitloads of time and resource and with a "lawyer friends" too

they then sue the county for "losses" (that the intentionally created)

i'll be after you crooks. fuck you.

Posted by: Makes Sense ()
Date: May 14, 2014 09:14PM

across the country shithole county gov like loudoun and moreso fairfax have been doing massive theft and this is one way

a gov worker employee is accuse by other gov workers on a charge they know won't convict. they spend shitloads of time and resource and with a "lawyer friends" too

they then sue the county for "losses" (that the intentionally created)

i'll be after you crooks. fuck you.

I suggest putting another layer of tinfoil on your head...

Posted by: nbc4444444 ()
Date: April 27, 2017 04:48PM

nbc 4 is talking about him tonight

Posted by: samm ()
Date: March 10, 2018 03:13PM

Posted by: not a travel agent. ()
Date: March 21, 2018 03:40PM

samm Wrote:
> This thread is funny! Lanigan was a perv the WHOLE
> TIME and he played everyone including the jury!
>
> https://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/Teach
> er-Acquitted-High-Profile-Student-Sex-Assault-Tria
> l-2010-Surrenders-License-420647113.html?_osource=
> SocialFlowFB_DCBrand

Funny.

Posted by: FUCK YIM ()
Date: July 05, 2020 10:19PM

FUCK HIM

Posted by: SUCKS ()
Date: July 05, 2020 10:20PM

HE SUCKS

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.