HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
need advice
Posted by: Nova0011 ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:06PM

My spouse got a job offer to in Denver with the gov't- ironically we are not sure if he can get a job offer here in DC with the shitty economy. I have a steady job here as a teacher (yes I love it, very happy with my decision to teach here) but I am reading CO has cut back so many teacher jobs, infact there is not enough money for immunizations so it is no longer required to go to school!!! Anyway, my spouse was raised in the midwest and truly hates NOVA for all the reasons discusses on this board. Should I get out even though I may not have a job? I live in a great neighborhood but since we bought in Dec 2008 we have not paid down much and will probably have to rent before we sell to break even, although I hear there are always military families to rent to.
I love my spouse and don't want to cause any unhappiness but scared that Denver may be a worse situation. Should I get out of here??

Re: need advice
Posted by: nova0011 ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:07PM

Please excuse my typos, I am running on no sleep since this was found out on Wed. I had Back to School night right after I found out, LOL. Talk about a hard day!

Posted by: No problemo ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:11PM

We just thought you were a wetback

Date: September 19, 2010 11:13PM

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:16PM

You think the economy is shitty around here? We're one of the only ones that is growing. What do you think it'll be like moving away from here? If you do somehow land a job you'll make a hell of a lot less than you do now and have less to work with in the classroom. My advice sounds like shit, but my Aunt & Uncle did it and it's worked out for them so far. Tell your husband to rent a room in Denver and take the job. You stay here and teach and together pay on your house until you're in a position to sell for a profit and then take it from there. This won't be a quick fix, but it sure beats one or both of you ending up unemployed with no house at all. Good luck.

Date: September 19, 2010 11:19PM

Gonads and Strife, we definitely discussed that. Obviously, that is not the most desirable option but logically it makes sense, in case he were to lose his job or decided he hated Denver, we are not totally out of luck. Just of curiosity, how long did you aunt and uncle have this before they moved back in, or is this still the situation? Thanks a lot.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:24PM

If you think the economy is bad around here, travel to the other 90% of the country. The economy had been bad in many areas of the U.S., long before the current recession even.

As for teaching, places like NY have some of the best pay and benefits around.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: September 19, 2010 11:42PM

I do know we have it pretty good in NOVA, but unfortunately the economy still isn't such that if he passes on this job he will get one here in a reasonable amount of time.
I definitely don't expect people here to know when he will get hired in DC, I just wanted to ask if people thought it was a bad idea to leave or I should get out. It also makes me sad that he dislikes it here so much, although there are no guarantees about Denver. If you have ever been there any info is appreciated.

Posted by: Not myself ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:54PM

nova0011 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do know we have it pretty good in NOVA, but
> unfortunately the economy still isn't such that if
> he passes on this job he will get one here in a
> reasonable amount of time.
> I definitely don't expect people here to know when
> he will get hired in DC, I just wanted to ask if
> people thought it was a bad idea to leave or I
> should get out. It also makes me sad that he
> dislikes it here so much, although there are no
> guarantees about Denver. If you have ever been
> there any info is appreciated.

Have not lived there but of all the places friends and family members have lived I have never met anybody who didn't love it and want to go back. That would be at least 20-30 people, all adults.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: September 20, 2010 12:03AM

nova0011 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gonads and Strife, we definitely discussed that.
> Obviously, that is not the most desirable option
> but logically it makes sense, in case he were to
> lose his job or decided he hated Denver, we are
> not totally out of luck. Just of curiosity, how
> long did you aunt and uncle have this before they
> moved back in, or is this still the situation?
> Thanks a lot.

Well their plan worked out exactly as they had hoped, so it was a little less than a year before he was able to transfer within his company back down to Atlanta where he came up from. Their marriage didn't suffer at all (made them stronger, I can say) but frequent visits helped out in that respect. Depending on how much you'd need to put back into the house to sell for a profit will likely dictate your time apart. Not the best plan ever, but there are far worse options as you already know.

Posted by: wishes ()
Date: September 20, 2010 12:45AM

My brother lives in Denver. When he visited last summer he was very suprised that our area seemed to him to be 'untouched' by the recession. He said it's a very different story in Colorado, where entire plazas and office parks have closed down. Add me to the column of people who think your husband should try Colorado before you uproot your family and your job. The grass may seem greener, but NOVA's not really that bad, especially now.
Good luck!

This forum powered by Phorum.