HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia closer to legalizing marijuana for all medical uses
Posted by: Virginia closer to legalizing ma ()
Date: February 18, 2018 01:28AM

Virginia closer to legalizing marijuana for all medical uses
http://richmondfreepress.com/news/2018/feb/16/virginia-closer-legalizing-marijuana-all-medical-u/

Virginia inched closer to greatly expanding medical marijuana use last week after legislation passed the state Senate with unanimous support — three days after its companion bill was approved by the House of Delegates.

SB 726, which passed the Senate 38-0 on Feb. 5, would let doctors issue certifications for patients to use cannabis oil to treat the symptoms of diagnosed conditions or diseases. The measure is now before the House Courts of Justice Committee.

The House version of the legislation — HB 1251, sponsored by Del. Ben Cline, R-Rockbridge — was passed 98-0 on Feb. 2. It has been referred to the Senate Committee on Education and Health.

With similar bills approved in both chambers, the legislation is likely to head to the desk of Gov. Ralph S. Northam, a physician, who has said he would sign such a bill.

Doctors in Virginia currently can issue medical marijuana certifications only to people with intractable epilepsy. If Gov. Northam signs the bill, the new law would let doctors issue certifications to treat any condition.

The legislation is considered a major victory for marijuana law reform advocates.

“This will bring relief to thousands of Virginians suffering from cancer, Chrohn’s disease and PTSD,” said Jenn Michelle Pedini, executive director of Virginia NORML, a marijuana law reform advocacy group. “We could not be happier with the unanimous passage of these bills.”

If the measure is signed into law, Virginia would join 29 other states that allow the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Three U.S. territories also have a similar policy.

The bills were recommended by Virginia’s Joint Commission on Health Care, which researches health policy options for the state.

Republican Sen. Siobhan S. Dunnavant of Henrico, a physician, sponsored the Senate bill.

“The literature on medical cannabis is going to be evolving rapidly now, and because of this, it is not a decision that should be in the hands of the legislature,” Sen. Dunnavant stated. “Instead, it should be with physicians.”

An April 2017 poll by Quinnipiac University indicated overwhelming support for the legalization of medical marijuana in Virginia. About 94 percent of Virginia voters polled expressed support. Additionally, 59 percent backed legalizing small amounts of the drug for recreational use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia closer to legalizing marijuana for all medical uses
Posted by: Politics cannot alter the physio ()
Date: February 18, 2018 01:45AM

Politics cannot alter the physiological effects of a substance. Medicinal use of cannabis is not new, it has been used as medicine in many cultures for thousands of years long before. Cannabis was an important part of America's pharmacopoeia until 1942 when it was removed for political reasons (the American Medical Association protested against this removal). Its medical usage is new to our generation due to the political agenda that suppressed and demonized it for the last 70+ years. Cannabis is able to treat such a wide range of disease partly through its action on the newly discovered (thanks to cannabis) endocannabinoid system and the receptors CB1 and CB2 which are found throughout the body. An extensive review that examined over 1,300 studies on cannabis and its cannabinoids concluded:

"...In the past decade, the endocannabinoid system has been implicated in a growing number of physiological functions, both in the central and peripheral nervous systems and in peripheral organs. More importantly, modulating the activity of the endocannabinoid system turned out to hold therapeutic promise in a wide range of disparate diseases and pathological conditions, ranging from mood and anxiety disorders, movement disorders such as Parkinson's and Huntington's disease, neuropathic pain, multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury, to cancer, atherosclerosis, myocardial infarction, stroke, hypertension, glaucoma, obesity/metabolic syndrome, and osteoporosis, to name just a few..."
[Pacher et al. 2006]

Other recent reviews have confirmed the medicinal efficacy of cannabis:

"Use of marijuana for chronic pain, neuropathic pain, and spasticity due to multiple sclerosis is supported by high-quality evidence"
[Hill. 2015]

"this is one of the fastest-growing fields in psychopharmacology"
"the endocannabinoid system may lead to the development of novel therapeutic drugs with higher societal acceptability and lower side effects profiles."
[Pamplona et al. 2012]

"There is now clear evidence that cannabinoids are useful for the treatment of various medical conditions."
[Grotenhermen et al. 2012]

It clearly does not belong in Schedule I, with heroin:

"Based on evidence currently available the Schedule I classification is not tenable; it is not accurate that cannabis has no medical value, or that information on safety is lacking."
[Grant et al. 2012]

"Overall, by comparison with other drugs used mainly for 'recreational' purposes, cannabis could be rated to be a relatively safe drug."
[Iversen. 2005]

Already 76% of doctors support using cannabis for medicinal purposes:

"with 76% of all votes in favor of the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes — even though marijuana use is illegal in most countries...In sum, the majority of clinicians would recommend the use of medicinal marijuana in certain circumstances"
[Adler and Colbert. 2013]

This number will continue to rise as more doctors, like surgeon general candidate Dr. Sanjay Gupta, a neurosurgeon, realize they have been "systematically mislead" for decades in regard to cannabis. It is absolutely absurd that doctors can prescribe morphine (essentially heroin) but not cannabis, a substance objectively less harmful than alcohol.

"I apologize because I didn’t look hard enough, until now. I didn’t look far enough. I didn’t review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis."
- Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Neurosurgeon, Surgeon General candidate, Assistant Professor of neurosurgery, CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent

"Cannabis is a safer drug than aspirin and can be used long-term without serious side effects. It is never possible for a scientist to say that anything is totally safe. But, at the end of the day, scaremongering does science – and the public – a great disservice. Cannabis is simply not as dangerous as it is being made out to be."
- Professor Les Iversen, chairman, British Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, 2003.

"We have some preliminary data showing that for certain medical conditions and symptoms that marijuana can be helpful"
- U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy

"There's evidence that shows that it's useful for medicine, but we need to investigate how to avoid the adverse effects of smoking marijuana."
- Former U.S. Surgeon General Regina M. Benjamin

The entire plant must be legalized for medicinal use. It has been found that various cannabinoids and possibly terpenes act synergistically and are more effective together, even more effective than any additive effect. For example, this study found that THC and CBD work together in fighting brain cancer:

"In the U251 and SF126 glioblastoma cell lines, Delta(9)-THC and cannabidiol acted synergistically to inhibit cell proliferation"
[Marcu et al. 2010]

Posted by: There are many varieties of cann ()
Date: February 18, 2018 01:46AM

There are many varieties of cannabis, each with their own assortments of cannabinoids, terpenes, and beneficial effects. In some cases, such as those with Dravet Syndrome and cancer, cannabinoids can be life saving.

Patients do not have time to wait for these natural varieties to be approved individually by the federal government, a complex bureaucracy that has even delayed approving a single, non-psychoactive (does not cause a 'high') cannabinoid, CBD, for decades and continues to do so.

It is a travesty that the entire plant has not already been legalized. Denying people medicine like this should be criminal, instead using it is. What a bizarre situation politicians have created. Let doctors decide which medicines are best for their patients, not politicians! In every state, legalize this proven medicine now...before more citizens needlessly suffer.

MPP - The Marijuana Policy Project - http://www.mpp.org
DPA - Drug Policy Alliance - http://www.drugpolicy.org
NORML - National Organization to Reform Marijuana Laws - http://norml.org

SOURCES:

-Adler and Colbert. Medicinal Use of Marijuana — Polling Results. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013.
-Bachhuber et al. Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Analgesic Overdose Mortality in the United States, 1999-2010. JAMA Intern Med. 2014.
-Carter et al. Cannabis in palliative medicine: improving care and reducing opioid-related morbidity. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2011.
-Hill K. Medical Marijuana for Treatment of Chronic Pain and Other Medical and Psychiatric Problems. A Clinical Review. JAMA. 2015. Review.
-Grant et al. Medical marijuana: clearing away the smoke. Open Neurol J. 2012. Review.
-Grotenhermen F, Müller-Vahl K. The therapeutic potential of cannabis and cannabinoids. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2012. Review.
-Pacher et al. The endocannabinoid system as an emerging target of pharmacotherapy. Pharmacol Rev. 2006. Review.
-Pamplona FA, Takahashi RN. Psychopharmacology of the endocannabinoids: far beyond anandamide. J Psychopharmacol. 2012. Review.
-Iversen L. Long-term effects of exposure to cannabis. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2005. Review.
-Marcu et al. Cannabidiol enhances the inhibitory effects of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol on human glioblastoma cell proliferation and survival. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010.

Posted by: SWED ()
Date: February 18, 2018 09:44AM

This is nice, but wake me when they make it legal for recreation and are able to open up shops.

At the very least they could decriminalize simple possession to a simple ticket with a fine or community service with no Jail time, ASAP, license suspension etc needed. ASAP is a cash cow for VA, which is why they are slow to move on this. I could see a SECOND possession charge resulting in all this, but not the first, it should be a fine and then move on with your life.

I know, this will likely take another 50 years, I'll be in a dirt nap then.

I can dream, can't I?

Posted by: Sophia777 ()
Date: September 26, 2018 03:18AM

In my opinion, it would be good if Virginia legalized cannabis for medicinal purposes. It can help people in terms of chronic pain, glaucoma, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. I'm against using cannabis for fun, especially on a daily basis, but medical marijuana can be really helpful.

Posted by: Stoner Stan ()
Date: September 26, 2018 05:22AM

Cool, dude

Posted by: Human Tripod ()
Date: October 05, 2018 07:49PM

If it can be taxed, Virginia will legalize it...

Posted by: to buy legal weed man ()
Date: October 05, 2018 09:06PM

do i need a id

can i buy a gun from a federal dealer

can i be in possession of my weed and the gun at the same time

can I be in possession of the gun at any time as a user of narcotics cuz of my id card

i gots to know man LOL!

Posted by: Cocaine Next!!! ()
Date: October 05, 2018 10:15PM

They need to legalize cocaine. Cocaine is in many ways less dangerous than marijuana.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.