HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 28
Re: High School Football 2016
Posted by: outsiderlookingin ()
Date: January 21, 2016 09:47AM

As near as I can tell this is a non-controversy. Don't know why such a fuss. Coaches at Westfield got along great. Nothing lasts forever. People move on. To some it was mission accomplished. If Everett wants to give Bridgewater a shot that's great. More power to him. Simmons really promotes multi-sports so don't understand the multi-sport comment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: In the know... ()
Date: January 29, 2016 08:28PM

After Ken Kincaid turned them down, Stuart settled on ex-Lee coach, Clarence Martin. Enough said about that.

Posted by: In the Know too... ()
Date: January 29, 2016 11:55PM

That's great news for Stuart! Martin is a great coach. He'll do well there.

Posted by: RydellllRoad ()
Date: January 31, 2016 07:54AM

Posted by: Bend it ()
Date: January 31, 2016 04:08PM

I'd take Bendorf as my DC at Westfield any day. Hopefully that's who they transition to. The bigger issue is that they have Simmons (a defensive guru) calling the plays on offense. Obviously it doesn't matter too much since he won a state championship doing it though!

Posted by: blitzcrankMain ()
Date: January 31, 2016 04:13PM

I wish they would just get rid of all the protective gear and turn football into a blood sport already. That way there'd be less life-debilitating concussions and more take-a-month-off broken limbs.

Posted by: Play Calling Was Fine ()
Date: February 01, 2016 08:02AM

I doubt play calling is an issue. Just look at the last 3 games of the season. Simmons just should've put Scanlon at WR earlier.

Posted by: NovaCoach ()
Date: February 01, 2016 09:45AM

Fairfax- Jim Patrick
Stuart-Clarence Martin
Jefferson- Long time assistant.

What the heck is going on with MV and TC? Are they even close to naming a head coach?

Posted by: 2 states ()
Date: February 01, 2016 10:11AM

The D Simmons has lined up really has (2) Titles...

Him and Carrol Craig are one in the same. Not giving Simmons the amount of D respect that Craig had, but Craig certainly could be a Head Coach.....

Posted by: 2 rings ()
Date: February 01, 2016 10:28AM

Yep , Mathie won his first Ring in 1996 at Chantilly, and Got his Second in 2013 at Centreville...Maybe he will bring a few TC Speedsters with Him!

Posted by: edit ()
Date: February 01, 2016 10:53AM

2 states Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The D Simmons has lined up really has (2)
> Titles...
>
> Him and Carrol Craig are one in the same. Not
> giving Simmons the amount of D respect that Craig
> had, but Craig certainly could be a Head
> Coach.....

Certainly could "not" I meant to say.....

Posted by: In the know... ()
Date: February 01, 2016 11:02AM

I have been hearing rumors that Matthie will be Westfield's DC next year. If so, they won't miss a beat.

Posted by: Northern region fan ()
Date: February 01, 2016 12:48PM

NovaCoach Wrote:
> Fairfax- Jim Patrick
> Stuart-Clarence Martin
> Jefferson- Long time assistant.
>
> What the heck is going on with MV and TC? Are they
> even close to naming a head coach?

I'm a bit surprised that Stuart got a coach before TCW and Mount Vernon. I didn't think the Stuart job would have much appeal. Although the Fairfax job was clearly the best job out of all the openings, I thought TCW and Mount Vernon would be more attractive openings than the Stuart opening. Congratulations to Stuart for getting their guy (and what seems to be a pretty good catch) so quickly.

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: February 01, 2016 01:47PM

I'd take Bendorf as my DC at Westfield any day. Hopefully that's who they transition to. The bigger issue is that they have Simmons (a defensive guru) calling the plays on offense. Obviously it doesn't matter too much since he won a state championship doing it though!

Won't happen unless Bendorf steps down from his administrative position at Westfield. Then again, I assume you're referring to Pete, not his twin Mark?

Posted by: InsideSource ()
Date: February 01, 2016 07:42PM

Word through the grapevine is that a DC has already been selected at Westfield. Supposedly the young Line Coach was Everett's protégée and will take over the spot. Westfield usually hires Coordinators from within the program

Posted by: Outside source ()
Date: February 02, 2016 03:34PM

i thought Everett had a Muse and a Concubine....where in his contract did he get a protege....?

Posted by: Quick question ()
Date: February 03, 2016 10:31PM

Rumor is that school will be starting before Labor Day due to snow days, those this mean HS Football games will start a week earlier than usual??

Posted by: NR football fan ()
Date: February 04, 2016 10:23AM

Quick question Wrote:
> Rumor is that school will be starting before Labor
> Day due to snow days, those this mean HS Football
> games will start a week earlier than usual??

Whether that happens depends on the number of snow days. Fairfax County has had 7 this year. I think you need to have 10 in order to get permission to start before Labor Day.

Whatever the number is (I'm not sure if it's ten or some other number) whatever number of snow days there were in 2014-15 was one short of what it took to get the start of school moved up.

Schedules aren't all out yet, but I believe that 2016 opponents will be, for each team, the same as 2015, except home and away are reversed. I'm also pretty sure that most teams will have their first game Labor Day weekend, mostly because Labor Day this year is relatively late (September 5), and there aren't enough weekends to get a full schedule in by the deadline for the regular season to end.

In 2015, a few schools moved their season opener to Thursday, and I would look for some of that to happen this year as well.

Posted by: GAU ()
Date: February 04, 2016 10:38AM

They needed 5 snow days, so school will most likely start before Labor Day.

The earliest they can play is the week of Aug. 22 and the first round of playoffs is Nov. 12. That would make Week 1 Sept. 1/2/3, ie the first week of school.

Posted by: RydellllRoad ()
Date: February 06, 2016 09:04AM

More big news in 6A South - Morgan leaving Oscar Smith
http://pilotonline.com/sports/high-school/football/richard-morgan-to-leave-oscar-smith-for-job-at-georgia/article_922b014e-5d11-5806-90a6-56c0d725e189.html

Smith already has left Ocean Lakes
http://pilotonline.com/sports/high-school/football/ocean-lakes-chris-scott-resigns-takes-star-running-back-to/article_c2766129-733d-5a58-a533-79c52b503321.html

Will this level the playing field down there for a few years? Might leave things a little more competitive. Be interesting to see how the 757 does without the all-star teams if that happens.

Posted by: Chantilly or Westfield ()
Date: February 06, 2016 11:57AM

Which school has been better at boys sports since the earlier 2000s? Specifically Basketball, Football, Baseball, and Soccer?

Posted by: Bulldogs ()
Date: February 07, 2016 01:06PM

That rivalry used to be big... But now Westfield just dominates football and basketball and chantilly dominates baseball and lacrosse. Never any surprises in those 4 sports

Posted by: Wildcats ()
Date: February 07, 2016 01:09PM

I think centreville will return to relevancy in this coming football season. The quarterback will be a senior and Julian garret who was impressive will be back. I'm predicting 7-3 or 8-2

Posted by: kitty Kitty ()
Date: February 08, 2016 09:36AM

I'm predicting that the Bronco's will win the Superbowl..maybe 24-10

Posted by: Early Concorde Predictions ()
Date: February 08, 2016 09:00PM

1. Westfield- duhh
2. Robinson
3. C'Ville
4. Oakton
5. Tilly-they have absolutely no QB's
6. Herndon

Posted by: OldCoach ()
Date: February 09, 2016 08:10AM

Quick question Wrote:
> Rumor is that school will be starting before Labor
> Day due to snow days, those this mean HS Football
> games will start a week earlier than usual??

No, there is NO connection between a school's actual start date and the VHSL schedule.

First practice, first game and playoff dates for all sports is set by VHSL on a 5 year basis. The current schedule goes through the 2017-18 season. This year the first football game can be no earlier than Aug 22nd.

Posted by: Conf 7 Guy ()
Date: February 09, 2016 01:34PM

Posted by: TRP ()
Date: February 10, 2016 09:38AM

Heard on WTOP this morning that Fairfax County will be petitioning the state to allow an early start to the school year. However, this will be for the 2017-18 school year, and the report indicated that there are no plans to change the start of the 2016 school year, which is slated for Tuesday, September 6, 2016.

As someone else correctly indicated, there is no rule that requires school to have started before the first football game. Every Fairfax County School played the weekend prior to the start of school in the 2015 season. It was necessary to do that because with the late start of the school year, teams needed that weekend to ensure that they would get a 10 game schedule in before the VHSL-mandated end of the regular season and the start of playoffs.

Posted by: Tyrell Chan Jimbo ()
Date: February 15, 2016 02:07AM

damn football in VA sucks, those boys down in GA would put a whippin on you boys. You need more niggers and less chinks and spics. And your white boys are too small.

Posted by: dELLx ()
Date: February 15, 2016 09:10AM

That's what the 757 said too. Look how that turned out. Centreville and Westfield won 2 of last 3.

Posted by: MV? TJ? ()
Date: February 22, 2016 08:45AM

has TJ and MV announced their hires yet??

Posted by: Majonials ()
Date: February 22, 2016 10:21AM

TJ hired Bill Recon former Fairfax coach, and MV hired coach from Friendship Collegiate.

Posted by: Old Thomas Jefferstoner ()
Date: February 22, 2016 07:56PM

Bill Rechin Played for TJ, Scott Norwood was on our team also. Bill's dad was a comic strip artist, Crock the caveman. Bill's nickname was "thick" because he wore coke bottle thick glasses. Good guy, Center was his position. Our coach was Weaver, he was fired and hired to coach at Madison.

Posted by: just a fan ()
Date: February 23, 2016 09:08AM

with all the new hires this year what do ppl think we be the outcome of the new hires in their first year record wise potentially

MV - Friendship Collegiate AD
TJ - Bill Rechin
Jeb - Claren Martin
TC - James Longerbeam
FFX - Bill Patrick

Posted by: conference 6 guy ()
Date: February 23, 2016 11:55AM

just a fan Wrote:
> with all the new hires this year what do ppl think
> we be the outcome of the new hires in their first
> year record wise potentially
>
> MV - Friendship Collegiate AD
> TJ - Bill Rechin
> Jeb - Claren Martin
> TC - James Longerbeam
> FFX - Bill Patrick

That's a good question. The answer to that question depends on whether you think that all that is needed for a particular team is a new coach, or whether there are issues with the program that can't be solved short term no matter who the coach is.

If I had to venture a guess, here's what I would have to say.

Mount Vernon and TCW: Both of those programs were 2-8 last year. MV got their wins against Stuart and TJ. TCW got their wins against TJ and Mount Vernon. Schedules for 2016 are the same as 2015, except home and away are reversed (though as an aside, Mount Vernon's website is showing Stone Bridge on their 2016 schedule, which was not on their 2015 schedule). For both of those two teams, I don't think the coach will make much of a difference, and that 2-8 for both is the best prediction. Their biggest problem is that they play in the Patriot District, and I really can't see either of these teams getting any wins against SoCo, LB, West Po, West Springfield, or Annandale. I think that even Woodson will beat both of them next season, though Woodson is the place where they would most likely get a conference win.

TJ was 0-10. I don't know much about the new coach, but I think it's really hard to build a program there. I'd be surprised if they got any wins in 2016.

Stuart was 1-9, with their lone win against TJ. I've heard good things about their new coach. Given the teams in their conference, I could see them getting a few more wins, possibly against Lee or Edison. Beating Marshall, Wakefield, or Falls Church might be a bit much for this season, though.

Fairfax was 1-9 in 2015. That's the program where I think the new coach will make the most difference. Fairfax didn't have 1-9 talent last year, and with the talent they did have, they should have gotten more than one win out of the schedule they had last season. That means that their problem last year was coaching. They solved that in Patrick (it's Jim Patrick, BTW), who was quite a "get" for them. Given their schedule, and the talent they have coming up from JV, I look for a dramatic increase in their win total in 2016.

Date: February 23, 2016 12:44PM

conference 6 guy Wrote:
> just a fan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > with all the new hires this year what do ppl
> think
> > we be the outcome of the new hires in their
> first
> > year record wise potentially
> >
> > MV - Friendship Collegiate AD
> > TJ - Bill Rechin
> > Jeb - Claren Martin
> > TC - James Longerbeam
> > FFX - Bill Patrick
>
Mount Vernon's website is showing Stone
> Bridge on their 2016 schedule, which was not on
> their 2015 schedule).

Where are you finding 2016 schedules?

Date: February 23, 2016 12:52PM

Conf 7 Guy Wrote:
> conference 6 guy Wrote:
> -----
> > just a fan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > with all the new hires this year what do ppl
> > think
> > > we be the outcome of the new hires in their
> > first
> > > year record wise potentially
> > >
> > > MV - Friendship Collegiate AD
> > > TJ - Bill Rechin
> > > Jeb - Claren Martin
> > > TC - James Longerbeam
> > > FFX - Bill Patrick
> >
> Mount Vernon's website is showing Stone
> > Bridge on their 2016 schedule, which was not on
> > their 2015 schedule).
>
>
> Where are you finding 2016 schedules?

Some schools have already posted theirs. Here is TC's:

http://tcwilliamsathletics.org/main/team/id/43938

Fairfax also has posted theirs:

http://www.fairfaxhighsports.org/main/team/id/2293

All schedules for 2016 have been set because this is the second year of a home and home rotation. Some individual schools have decided to post theirs already.

Posted by: TJ fault ()
Date: February 23, 2016 01:12PM

This is TJs fault, they aren't playing any D6 opponents, so they will be playing only 6 varsity games. So their D6 opponents had to scrabble and match games. Looks like Stonebridge filled those gaps where MV and TC played TJ.

Date: February 23, 2016 01:25PM

The VHSL has approved the change to four regions for each class, but has not yet finalized the alignment.

Posted by: NR Fan 2000 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 02:25PM

Rumor floating around now is that Matthie is headed to Robinson. They are beginning to put together a solid staff there. They lost a lot of talent this off-season and I'm not sure their going to be able to replace them.

Date: February 23, 2016 02:27PM

TJ fault Wrote:
> This is TJs fault, they aren't playing any D6
> opponents, so they will be playing only 6 varsity
> games. So their D6 opponents had to scrabble and
> match games. Looks like Stonebridge filled those
> gaps where MV and TC played TJ.

This is the first I've heard of this. If this is true (and it seems to be), this will affect scheduling for Annandale and Washington-Lee, both of whom were on TJ's schedule last year, for the first of a two year rotation. It will be interesting to see if this has ripples beyond these schools in 6A North.

Posted by: TRP ()
Date: February 23, 2016 02:28PM

GAU Wrote:
> The VHSL has approved the change to four regions
> for each class, but has not yet finalized the
> alignment.

So does this mean that Madison still has a chance to escape being lumped with Centreville and Westfield?

Posted by: pop bumper ()
Date: February 23, 2016 02:45PM

tvWLY

Date: February 23, 2016 02:53PM

TRP Wrote:
> GAU Wrote:
> -----
> > The VHSL has approved the change to four
> regions
> > for each class, but has not yet finalized the
> > alignment.
>
>
> So does this mean that Madison still has a chance
> to escape being lumped with Centreville and
> Westfield?

Nope, that was already voted down on the basis that the schools in both districts were opposed. But really, it's only four games. Madison can go out and schedule another six games they want.

Date: February 23, 2016 02:53PM

GAU Wrote:
> TRP Wrote:
> -----
> > GAU Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The VHSL has approved the change to four
> > regions
> > > for each class, but has not yet finalized the
> > > alignment.
> >
> >
> > So does this mean that Madison still has a
> chance
> > to escape being lumped with Centreville and
> > Westfield?
>
>
> Nope, that was already voted down on the basis
> that the schools in both districts were opposed.
> But really, it's only four games. Madison can go
> out and schedule another six games they want.

Nope, that was already voted down on the basis that the schools in both districts were opposed. But really, it's only four games. Madison can go out and schedule another six games they want, and so long as they are 6A schools it won't hurt them.

Date: February 23, 2016 03:02PM

I think an interesting suggestion for the Prince William Cardinal district since with 12 schools they can't play a full round robin would be to divide into two divisions of 6. Weeks 1-4 are open dates; Weeks 5-9 are division games; and then week 10 is a cross-over where 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2, etc.

Posted by: Soco WR ()
Date: March 03, 2016 08:36AM

Word on Twitter is that Soco's Dillon Spalding got an offer from the University of Tennessee last night. Might lead to really big things for him!!

Posted by: yJt4p ()
Date: March 03, 2016 06:38PM

yJt4p

Posted by: Spalding ()
Date: March 03, 2016 07:04PM

Haven't seen him play but word is Spalding is the best WR in the area since Eddie Royal. Is it true?

Posted by: Wait a minute! ()
Date: March 03, 2016 07:39PM

Haven't seen him play but word is Spalding is the best WR in the area since Eddie Royal. Is it true?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

No, not even close, don't get me wrong, Spalding is a good wide receiver, he's big and has good hands, runs well. But not even AJ Turner or AJ Alexander from last year could even be compared to Eddie Royal, and they have more explosiveness than Spalding.

The thing that made Royal such a threat is that he was faster and shiftier than anyone he played against. Punt or kick off returns he pretty much took most to the house. In pass coverage he'd pretty much just blow by the defense. He was also very hard to bring down, even when opponents keyed on him.

Spalding will do well the next couple years, but he's no Royal. Guys like that don't come along that often. Even when Royal got to college he made an immediate impact, the NFL as well.

Posted by: mkHbM ()
Date: March 04, 2016 08:34AM

Seriously? Hi Skool Fussball?

Posted by: Keep in mind ()
Date: March 04, 2016 08:38AM

Keep in mind Spalding is only a Sophomore. Let's wait two years until we decide who he's better than. In my opinion, he's the best in the area in a long time!!

Posted by: what? ()
Date: March 04, 2016 09:11AM

Spalding isnt better thatn eric Kumah in my opinion

Posted by: What??? ()
Date: March 04, 2016 09:45AM

Keep in mind Spalding is only a Sophomore. Let's wait two years until we decide who he's better than. In my opinion, he's the best in the area in a long time!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get it, you're a Soco student, player, or fan, but you're assessment is flawed. AJ Turner and AJ Alexander are two of the better players from this area recently, Spalding isn't anywhere near their class. Both of the AJ's were just as dangerous when they were sophomores as when they were seniors. Spalding had a bunch of receptions and yardage but he's not out running anyone to the end zone. Spalding's greatest attribute is his height, he has average speed and does not scare anyone in the open field.

Let's not forget about De'Mornay Pierson-El from West Potomac from a couple years ago. He went to Nebraska and made an immediate impact, still is. There are a bunch of other names like the RB, Nick Scott from Fairfax a couple years ago, and the RB from Robinson, Joe Smith.

Too many great players who have gone on to D1 programs recently to proclaim Spalding better than. Plus, most every one of the guys above played everywhere, offense, defense, and special teams. They were fast, powerful, elusive, just plain scary with the ball in their hands. Once again, Spalding is big and catches well, that's about it.

One last thing, all the players I mentioned above could take the game into their hands and carry their respective teams. If Spalding was in that classification then how do you explain his disappearance in the 6A North championship game!

Date: March 04, 2016 10:45AM

Sorry, Joe Wilson not Smith was the kid from Robinson, I apologize.

Posted by: Point ()
Date: March 04, 2016 01:04PM

You make some valid points, but you are speaking about the most recent AJ's, Wilson's, and Pierson-El's not them as sophomores. Since most of those guys play different positions, the only one you can really compare him to is Alexander.

Most of the guys mentioned had to play more than one way, so not a totally valid point in my mind. Also, think your concept of "great player" is a little far fetched. Only one to do anything in college up to this point is De'Mornay if you ask me. Also, Spalding played TE and snapped for specific special teams scenarios as needed.

In my opinion (and that's really all the matters to me) you must be the parent of, or a student-athlete that was beat up by Spalding. Possibly a DB or the father or a Db that he tortured throughout a game. Come to think of it, you might be the dad (or actual kid) that he caught the one handed TD catch on Vs. Braddock.

Funny thing is, out of all those guys you mentioned, only one played in a region championship game to my knowledge, so again, not valid. Stop hating and get a hobby. It's a good thing for a kid and a program, sorry your kid sucks!!

Date: March 04, 2016 01:38PM

Posted by: Point ()

Date: March 04, 2016 01:04PM

You make some valid points, but you are speaking about the most recent AJ's, Wilson's, and Pierson-El's not them as sophomores. Since most of those guys play different positions, the only one you can really compare him to is Alexander.

Most of the guys mentioned had to play more than one way, so not a totally valid point in my mind. Also, think your concept of "great player" is a little far fetched. Only one to do anything in college up to this point is De'Mornay if you ask me. Also, Spalding played TE and snapped for specific special teams scenarios as needed.

In my opinion (and that's really all the matters to me) you must be the parent of, or a student-athlete that was beat up by Spalding. Possibly a DB or the father or a Db that he tortured throughout a game. Come to think of it, you might be the dad (or actual kid) that he caught the one handed TD catch on Vs. Braddock.

Funny thing is, out of all those guys you mentioned, only one played in a region championship game to my knowledge, so again, not valid. Stop hating and get a hobby. It's a good thing for a kid and a program, sorry your kid sucks!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, none of my kids ever played DB or for LB, but both went to and played for D1 schools.

I liked and respected most of your responses right up until you got the typical "tough guy hide behind the keyboard and throw insults" attitude working.

My post was intended to point out that the young man had quite a ways to go before being anointed the "best player in the area in a long time".

I did notice how you completely skirted around the whole disappearing act in the 6A North championship though.

And if I had to surmise I would say you definitely are a SOCO student, player, parent bitter still from the results of this past season.

Posted by: Go Bruins ()
Date: March 04, 2016 01:50PM

So Spalding can't run away from DBs, huh? This video might refute that...

https://youtu.be/Ce3_e0m6OMU

Posted by: Funny thing... ()
Date: March 04, 2016 02:00PM

Funny thing is you're spending a decent amount of your time talking about an average player in your mind.

I'm sure your kids were really good, D1 material. Talk about being who you want behind a keyboard. My kids played D1 too, and one's in the NFL, see how that works!!

Spalding wasn't in a position to takeover the State game, so not sure what you want me to say to that.

You are definitely a Lake Braddock Fan hahaha!

Date: March 04, 2016 02:16PM

Posted by: Funny thing... ()

Date: March 04, 2016 02:00PM

Funny thing is you're spending a decent amount of your time talking about an average player in your mind.

I'm sure your kids were really good, D1 material. Talk about being who you want behind a keyboard. My kids played D1 too, and one's in the NFL, see how that works!!

Spalding wasn't in a position to takeover the State game, so not sure what you want me to say to that.

You are definitely a Lake Braddock Fan hahaha!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, just replying to the original post about him being the best player in the area in a long time.

Then of course to all of the subsequent responses afterward.

Once again, not a LB fan, my kids went to Westfield, I'm sure you've heard of that school...

Posted by: Now I understand!! ()
Date: March 04, 2016 02:29PM

Westfield, even worse!

I think Spalding did enough damage to them in the first game.

Posted by: Mr. Invisible ()
Date: March 04, 2016 03:26PM

Posted by: Now I understand!! ()

Date: March 04, 2016 02:29PM

Westfield, even worse!

I think Spalding did enough damage to them in the first game.

Yeah, too bad not in the one that meant something!

Just like the rest of the team!!

Posted by: Cookie Monster ()
Date: March 04, 2016 03:39PM

Now I understand!! Wrote:
> Westfield, even worse!
>
> I think Spalding did enough damage to them in the
> first game.

Yeah with Westfield missing their CB. Spalding would've been shut down just like he was in the NR Championship Game.

Posted by: Bryan Talavera ()
Date: March 04, 2016 09:01PM

Keep in mind Oaktons best defense tackle was injured Dylan Cardelli AKA the hulk, his replacement was a average JV player 5'10 230 #70

Date: March 04, 2016 09:03PM

who said Rowley was stepping down

Posted by: Huh?? ()
Date: March 04, 2016 09:20PM

Date: March 04, 2016 09:01PM

Keep in mind Oaktons best defense tackle was injured Dylan Cardelli AKA the hulk, his replacement was a average JV player 5'10 230 #70

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: March 04, 2016 09:03PM

who said Rowley was stepping down

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I miss something?

Like maybe the original conversation.

Posted by: footballobserver2 ()
Date: March 04, 2016 09:34PM

Yeah, I mean what was that all about?

Posted by: Football ()
Date: March 05, 2016 10:15PM

So who has the best chance of winning states next year?

Posted by: bulldogs ()
Date: March 05, 2016 10:57PM

Football Wrote:
> So who has the best chance of winning states next
> year?

Westfield

Posted by: Best School ()
Date: March 06, 2016 02:22PM

What's the best school for boys sports in Fairfax County? I know that Westfield is the best football school but what's the best school taking other sports into mind?

Posted by: 9LCNL ()
Date: March 06, 2016 02:52PM

It really depends on what sport. And it varies by year. But overall I would say Robinson and Lake Braddock.

Posted by: SC ()
Date: March 07, 2016 08:30AM

South County has a lot of returning talent. They will be a team to beat!

Posted by: Scholarship ()
Date: March 07, 2016 08:32AM

Helped get him a scholarship offer from an SEC school!!

Posted by: Guess so... ()
Date: March 07, 2016 08:33AM

Mr. Invisible Wrote:
> Re: High School Football 2016
>
> Posted by: Now I understand!! ()
>
> Date: March 04, 2016 02:29PM
>
>
> Westfield, even worse!
>
> I think Spalding did enough damage to them in the
> first game.
>
> __________________________________________________
> _________________________
>
> Yeah, too bad not in the one that meant
> something!
>
> Just like the rest of the team!!

Posted by: Guess so #2... ()
Date: March 07, 2016 08:34AM

Cookie Monster Wrote:
> Now I understand!! Wrote:
> -----
> > Westfield, even worse!
> >
> > I think Spalding did enough damage to them in
> the
> > first game.
>
>
> Yeah with Westfield missing their CB. Spalding
> would've been shut down just like he was in the NR
> Championship Game.

Posted by: Heard it before ()
Date: March 07, 2016 08:44AM

Posted by: SC ()

Date: March 07, 2016 08:30AM

South County has a lot of returning talent. They will be a team to beat!

Boy, never heard that one before, go back and look at the last few years of high school football threads. Seems like SOCO has a school loaded with talent, too bad coaching beats talent at this level!

Posted by: OELLJHE ()
Date: March 07, 2016 01:56PM

Heard it before Wrote:
> Re: High School Football 2016
>
> Posted by: SC ()
>
> Date: March 07, 2016 08:30AM
>
>
> South County has a lot of returning talent. They
> will be a team to beat!
> __________________________________________________
> _____________________________
>
> Boy, never heard that one before, go back and look
> at the last few years of high school football
> threads. Seems like SOCO has a school loaded with
> talent, too bad coaching beats talent at this
> level!

I would say defense beats talent more than HS coaching. No one in this area is stellar when it simply comes to coaching.

Posted by: last year of football? ()
Date: March 07, 2016 02:41PM

Since Storck and Smith screwed the budgetary pooch (which was already on its last legs) it seems FCPS is going to have to make major cuts. Since they don't play football in El Salvador, Korea, or Afghanistan, it seems like it may be in the crosshairs. So, enjoy it while you can.

Date: March 07, 2016 04:32PM

last year of football? Wrote:
> Since Storck and Smith screwed the budgetary pooch
> (which was already on its last legs) it seems FCPS
> is going to have to make major cuts. Since they
> don't play football in El Salvador, Korea, or
> Afghanistan, it seems like it may be in the
> crosshairs. So, enjoy it while you can.

Want to bet?

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: March 07, 2016 05:31PM

Date: March 07, 2016 04:32PM

last year of football? Wrote:
> Since Storck and Smith screwed the budgetary pooch
> (which was already on its last legs) it seems FCPS
> is going to have to make major cuts. Since they
> don't play football in El Salvador, Korea, or
> Afghanistan, it seems like it may be in the
> crosshairs. So, enjoy it while you can.

Want to bet?

No, I'm sure he won't, he'll probably just keep posting the same nonsense on here about the subject. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the same person that starts this issue up on the football thread every year. Guess whomever it is doesn't realize that football is pretty much funded by boosters, donors, and the players families. If they ever had to fully support themselves I'm pretty sure most of the schools would be able to do just that.

Posted by: NR football fan ()
Date: March 14, 2016 02:32PM

We had five new coaches in the region -- Fairfax, TJ, Stuart, Mt. Vernon, and TCW. Any word on how they are settling in to their new programs?

Posted by: No mas helicopters ()
Date: March 14, 2016 02:58PM

nPYTe

Posted by: NorthTrumpstheSouth ()
Date: March 15, 2016 10:32PM

Spalding is what he is. A good route runner, decent size, with good hands. Tech apparently has offered him as well. Will probably move to TE in college.

But how about other top NR players. Unknowns and up comers win D-1 potential . Diamonds in the rough. Is Atkins a true SEC talent?

Posted by: Wideout ()
Date: March 16, 2016 12:20PM

Soco's Spalding has gotten his second offer from Virginia Tech. Haters...

Posted by: Talent ()
Date: March 16, 2016 12:24PM

NorthTrumpstheSouth Wrote:
> Spalding is what he is. A good route runner,
> decent size, with good hands. Tech apparently has
> offered him as well. Will probably move to TE in
> college.
>
> But how about other top NR players. Unknowns and
> up comers win D-1 potential . Diamonds in the
> rough. Is Atkins a true SEC talent?

He has talent, but not quality SEC talent. He couldn't play at Alabama.

Posted by: Turf BURN ()
Date: March 16, 2016 12:34PM

Spalding is a talented enough receiver, I think his size at the HS level is formidable for most teams to cover, and his ability to get the Ball, high point and strong hands, wrestle away from defenders, gives him a big advantage. He will not surprise teams going forward and will be hard pressed to match this years #'s with all that being said, he's young and is one of the top talents in the region. Tech is not the Tech of 10-15 years ago and Tennessee is not the Tennessee of 20 years ago, still nice offers, Congratulations!

Posted by: Not Hating ()
Date: March 16, 2016 04:56PM

Wideout Wrote:
> Soco's Spalding has gotten his second offer from
> Virginia Tech. Haters...

He got shutdown when Westfield was at full strength.

Posted by: j7Kt9 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 07:28PM

Not Hating Wrote:
> Wideout Wrote:
> -----
> > Soco's Spalding has gotten his second offer
> from
> > Virginia Tech. Haters...
>
> He got shutdown when Westfield was at full
> strength.

That was against arguably the best defense in the state. He isn't going to face those kind of defenses most of the time and you can count on him putting up huge numbers the next two years.

Posted by: Question? ()
Date: March 16, 2016 09:33PM

If Spalding is Tennessee good what is scanlon? Alabama good? Spalding was a recipient of a trick play offense which often left him wide open down the field. Rarely did a shake a defender in a route and make a one on one play

Posted by: GoBruins ()
Date: March 16, 2016 09:46PM

Check the tape, bro. Spalding runs good routes and can get open. Even when he's covered he ran dudes over. Very good HS receiver for a sophomore with room to grow!

Posted by: ConcordeWildBullRams ()
Date: March 16, 2016 10:18PM

Scanlon was player of the year for 6A. He could have very well played at Alabama if he pursued it fully. But remember he's a basketball guy. Much like Spakdinng is a lacrosse guy.

I think the guy to watch out for is Muskett. Decent speed and size and although he doesn't have quite the raw arm talent as top tier guys, everything comes out on time and is accurate.Might be an Elite 11 invitee.

Posted by: Scanlon ()
Date: March 17, 2016 09:57AM

Question? Wrote:
> If Spalding is Tennessee good what is scanlon?
> Alabama good? Spalding was a recipient of a trick
> play offense which often left him wide open down
> the field. Rarely did a shake a defender in a
> route and make a one on one play

Scalon isn't a natural athlete. His lengthy and awkward as hell on a football field. I'd take Spalding 100 times over Scanlon. How many offers did Scanlon have again ha-ha??

Posted by: Dummies ()
Date: March 17, 2016 09:59AM

Question? Wrote:
> If Spalding is Tennessee good what is scanlon?
> Alabama good? Spalding was a recipient of a trick
> play offense which often left him wide open down
> the field. Rarely did a shake a defender in a
> route and make a one on one play

Must of forgot about the TD catch the won Soco the game, pretty sure that was Spalding mossing two WF defenders.

Posted by: NR Fan ()
Date: March 17, 2016 10:00AM

ConcordeWildBullRams Wrote:
> Scanlon was player of the year for 6A. He could
> have very well played at Alabama if he pursued it
> fully. But remember he's a basketball guy. Much
> like Spakdinng is a lacrosse guy.
>
>
> I think the guy to watch out for is Muskett.
> Decent speed and size and although he doesn't have
> quite the raw arm talent as top tier guys,
> everything comes out on time and is accurate.Might
> be an Elite 11 invitee.

I believe Muskett is getting recruited. About three weeks ago, Cornell University had a huge Junior Day, and he was there. They had a few others there from NOVA. I saw a players from Oakton, Stone Bridge, and Fairfax.

Posted by: Decent ()
Date: March 17, 2016 10:02AM

ConcordeWildBullRams Wrote:
> Scanlon was player of the year for 6A. He could
> have very well played at Alabama if he pursued it
> fully. But remember he's a basketball guy. Much
> like Spakdinng is a lacrosse guy.
>
>
> I think the guy to watch out for is Muskett.
> Decent speed and size and although he doesn't have
> quite the raw arm talent as top tier guys,
> everything comes out on time and is accurate.Might
> be an Elite 11 invitee.

Muskett is good, but he has nothing to work with. Put him at at Braddock or South County and he's an All-Met QB. Scanlon is not a good football player, average at best.

Posted by: PLAYA PLAYA ()
Date: March 17, 2016 11:22AM

Average At Best Wins Both Football and Basketball Player of the Year 6A I can only imagine the awards he would have received if he was Spalding or Muskett Good!

Posted by: offers ()
Date: March 17, 2016 11:29AM

You mean the 15+ for basketball (cue the "this is a football thread" comment) or UVA and VT for football? Not bad considering the kid paid zero attention to football in the offseason and was still POY and won a state ring.

As for not being a "natural athlete," I'm sure the two teams from the South with "athletes" that just got cooked in the state basketball tourney would argue that.

Posted by: realist1 ()
Date: March 17, 2016 12:15PM

offers Wrote:
> You mean the 15+ for basketball (cue the "this is
> a football thread" comment) or UVA and VT for
> football? Not bad considering the kid paid zero
> attention to football in the offseason and was
> still POY and won a state ring.
>
> As for not being a "natural athlete," I'm sure the
> two teams from the South with "athletes" that just
> got cooked in the state basketball tourney would
> argue that.

C'mon, he's good but he's not a stud. He's going to Boston for Christsake - the Patriot League..

Posted by: Reality TV ()
Date: March 17, 2016 12:53PM

When Scanlon Reaches our age and he's wasting his Corporate Days on some sorry ass Board reminiscing about the Glory Days... He can actually Claim to be a 2-sport State Player of the year with the Jewelry to back it up. un-like us idiots, dusting off our Participation trophy's for being first loser. additionally Boston - the Patriot League, that's $200K Mom and Dad can now Blow on Hookers and Blow if that's their Desire

Posted by: 987654321 ()
Date: March 17, 2016 11:42PM

Scanlon Wrote:

> Scalon isn't a natural athlete.

Of all the dumb things I've read on this board - this has to rank as one of the dumbest. If a 6A STATE First Team Football player and a 6A STATE Basketball Player of the Year is not a natural athlete... well, then there is no such thing as a natural athlete.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4107601/highlights/206788387

Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 28

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.