HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Washington-Virginia Trolley Fairfax Line
Posted by: W&OD buff ()
Date: February 20, 2017 04:20PM

Apologies for the scale of the images. I'm a dope when it comes to some of the nuance with IT things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 24, 2017 11:38PM

This was shot around 1970 at the intersection of Gallows Rd. and Electic Ave., and I believe this is the Gallows Road station of the W-VA.
Attachments:
scan.jpg

Posted by: CIC ()
Date: February 25, 2017 11:17AM

That's a great picture BillN. It's good to see it. Thanks.

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: February 25, 2017 03:03PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was shot around 1970 at the intersection of
> Gallows Rd. and Electic Ave., and I believe this
> is the Gallows Road station of the W-VA.

Bill, sir, you are gentleman and a scholar.

Date: February 26, 2017 08:44PM

Photo, circa 1918, described as Unnamed girl standing in front of Edgelea Station near Blake Lane, Oakton, Virginia, at the following link (assuming the electrons work):

http://digitool1.lva.lib.va.us:8881/R/FBA461JYGFU7XQ888MVJEGPHIEAK1PYQYBKL8AQYX4A4LG17CX-05744?func=results-jump-full&set_entry=000062&set_number=590492&base=GEN01

Source: Fairfax County Public Library Photographic Archive, Henry H. Douglas Collection. One of several photos of the railway accessible via the "Library of Virginia" website's Online Photo Collections.

Another from 1969 is at the link below and is described as "View of abandoned trolley roadbed (in the trees at left) and abandoned Washington and Old Dominion Railroad roadbed (on right) looking west from Grove Avenue, Falls Church, Virginia":
http://digitool1.lva.lib.va.us:8881/R/FBA461JYGFU7XQ888MVJEGPHIEAK1PYQYBKL8AQYX4A4LG17CX-05738?func=results-jump-full&set_entry=000061&set_number=590492&base=GEN01

Posted by: Tolley to Fairfax ()
Date: February 27, 2017 10:48AM

It was my understanding that the trolley line went up Main St from Railroad Ave and stopped at the Courthouse. I have seen one picture with a trolley parked in front of the courthouse and, in the background of another picture of the courthouse, I have seen the A&F autorailer.
When I was a little lad, one of the old church ladies told me a story of her brother greasing up the rails to mess with the trolley. The poor passengers had the walk up Main St to get to their final destination.
Attachments:
Fairfax Courthouse- AutoRailer.jpg

Posted by: W&OD Buff ()
Date: March 14, 2017 07:54PM

Several items here, from where the railway was from what is now Railroad Park, between Gallows Road to the west and the Beltway to the east. Photos 1, 2, and 3 (rough/approximate orientation) are of the cut that's between Sandburg St to the west and Morgan Lane to the east. (On the map, I may have the annotation for photo 2 in the wrong direction). 4 is on the railbed remnant, looking west towards Sandburg Street. Photo 5 is from the west edge of the playground. Despite the two-dimensional nature of the medium, in the lower center of photo 5 you may be able to see the ground sloping from roughly the center to the left (which is north). Item 6 is an annotated aerial shot to orient the photos. Also, Railroad Street leaves Gallows on a curve, but once it straightens out one can see a slight embankment on its south edge, running parallel to the street. I assume that's a remnant of the railbed.
Attachments:
#1 railway photo.JPG
#2 railway photo.JPG
#3 railway.JPG
#4 railway.JPG
#5 railway.JPG
170311 railroad park key.png

Posted by: Shootin Craps ()
Date: March 15, 2017 10:52PM

This was shot around 1970 at the intersection of Gallows Rd. and Electic Ave., and I believe this is the Gallows Road station of the W-VA.

Great pic. I showed this to my mom who lived on a farm across the street from the house on Gallows from 1937 to 1941. Said it was a general store at the time and would ride her horse over there to get candy. Remembers the tracks crossing Gallows and going in front of the farm. Very overgrown by then. I have a couple of pics of the farmhouse

Date: July 04, 2017 03:51PM

This is an Interstate Commerce Commission photo of the electric railway's bridge over the W&OD circa 100 years ago, according to Ames Williams's book on the W&OD railroad. I've annotated it to show where the still-extant abutment is in the photo. For the purpose of comparison, I'm also attaching a recent (but scaled-down!) photo of the abutment and where it sits on the bike trail. Comparing the two clearly shows how much deeper the cut was at that location when the W&OD was in operation, to answer Bill N.'s question.
Attachments:
Trolley bridge over W&OD.jpg
IMG_6312.jpeg

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: July 05, 2017 01:57AM

Shootin Craps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was shot around 1970 at the intersection of
> Gallows Rd. and Electic Ave., and I believe this
> is the Gallows Road station of the W-VA.
>
> Great pic. I showed this to my mom who lived on a
> farm across the street from the house on Gallows
> from 1937 to 1941. Said it was a general store at
> the time and would ride her horse over there to
> get candy. Remembers the tracks crossing Gallows
> and going in front of the farm. Very overgrown by
> then. I have a couple of pics of the farmhouse

That’s a great story. Thanks for including it.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.