HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: DeCelles is at it again
Posted by: hangup2 ()
Date: June 27, 2016 08:12AM

Your right about the homily. Pathetic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: aggiefan ()
Date: June 27, 2016 02:43PM

Compare this to the lovely send-off for Fr. Larsen at Saint Bernadette's on Saturday night.

Posted by: Pathetic ()
Date: June 27, 2016 06:34PM

No matter where you are on the religious spectrum, you must agree the guy is a tool. A self centered, self righteous ass of the highest caliber. He doesn't have a single shred of Jesus's teachings in his heart. He's mean and vindictive and has the audacity to question the Pope and anyone else who he personally disagrees with.

My advice is move on to anther parish ASAP and leave this jerk behind. Sooner or later the bishop will have to replace him or fire him.

Posted by: Quality Watcher ()
Date: June 27, 2016 07:09PM

hangup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ahhh. Really bad homily, telling girls they will
> soon have to shower with boys.
> Maybe his public school employee parishioners
> should stop giving money if he hates the public
> schools so bad.

I'm glad someone is speaking out against this transanity.

Treating the mentally ill as normal is truly insane.

Posted by: hangup ()
Date: June 27, 2016 10:13PM

I had to chuckle at the new article about the pope saying we need to apologize to gays. Bet decelles loved that.

I will say again, it's his delivery. He can have a good homily speaking out against it (like scalia) without telling our daughters they will have to start showering naked With boys. Uncalled for.

What's st. Bernadettes like? I know most people go to nativity but we don't really care for that parish.

Date: June 28, 2016 08:23AM

We as a family switched to St. Bernadette's a while ago. Fr. Larsen, Vu, Wilson, and Wooten are all exceptional priests. Wooten was given a standing ovation for announcing that ALL would always be welcome at Mass....Larsen was of a similar vein. Unfortunately, Wooten was transferred last year, and today Fr. Larsen leaves for a parish in Leesburg. So we are in a state of transition. The new priest is from Fredericksburg, but no one seems to know much about him.

Date: June 28, 2016 08:28AM

Continued from last post. There is a grand mix of nationalities here, and volunteers number in the hundreds. So it can be said that parish morale is high. I will note that there are quite a few St. Raymond expats.....in the past we nodded to each other not knowing if we/they were visiting or transferring. That is in the past; now we all commiserate about our "lost" parish and pray for the removal of Fr. DeCelles and his hurtful reign.

Posted by: Rooneyiscool ()
Date: June 28, 2016 08:41AM

The new pastor at St Bernadette is Father Rooney. He's a great guy and a great priest. He's an excellent homilist. Before he became a priest he owned a graphic design agency in Dallas so expect some design changes. He spent time in the missions and suffered a crippling accident but full recovered. He is a terrific teacher. I don't know of anyone who doesn't like Father Rooney. He taught the class that brought my wife into the Catholic Church. We were sad to see him leave the parish. His farewell party was huge.

Date: June 28, 2016 08:59AM

Thank you for the Fr. Rooney information. It sounds like he was loved by his parish just as we loved and respected Fr. Larsen (who also had a great send-off event this weekend). We do not miss DeCelles' complaints about our Holy Fathers' interpretations, so Fr. Rooney appears to be a good replacement for us at St. B's. Perhaps we'll send an update in a few months....

Date: June 28, 2016 04:16PM

DeCelles is a disappointment. Usually the priests entering the priesthood at a later age are wonderful. A couple in the diocese were widowers who raised large families before their wives died One of my favorites was a retired military officer Vietnam war hero who had five kids. De Celles has a habit of publicly badmouthing other priests and I'm sure he has strong feelings about the pope. I had a very public conflict with DeCelles over remarks he made about another priest who does more in a day than DeCelles has done in his priesthood. It was probably no way to treat a priest in public but I went a bit ballistic. I believe he teaches truth but it's an abrasive manner that drives people away rather than attracting them. All-in-all this diocese is blessed with some really great priests. DeCelles is the worst example especially for someone as a pastor.

Posted by: Judas ()
Date: June 28, 2016 11:00PM

hangup Wrote:
> Ahhh. Really bad homily, telling girls they will
> soon have to shower with boys.
> Maybe his public school employee parishioners
> should stop giving money if he hates the public
> schools so bad.

While his delivery is harsh and not eloquent,his message is spot on..the govt has been taking our liberty and societal perversions are now being nudged to look normal. His message is about our loss of Liberty and how we are being forced into silence. Fr.Gould had the same messages,he just had a slicker way to talk..message was the same.
I agree with DeCelles..you libs are the ones angry..why? Hmmmm?

Date: June 29, 2016 09:46AM

I am kind of curious to see how this new priest is at St. Raymonds.

What's the CCD like at St. Bernadette? We have that to consider as well as sacrament prep so feel like we need to move quickly on this if we are going to move.

Also, is there a big divide between the school aspect of the parish and those who don't go to the school? That's a big turn off when a parish school gets so much focus and ignores that there are families who choose not to attend the school.

Date: June 29, 2016 11:37AM

Here is a news clip on the new priest for St Raymond...doesn't look too promising

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/12/father_charles_smith_arrested.php

Date: June 29, 2016 01:00PM

I would say that there is a nice balance between school and non-school families here. The Scouts are strong, unlike St. Raymonds where they were booted to the curb, and many volunteer groups. The annual volunteer dinner usually is attended by up to 500. That speaks volumes as to the enthusiasm to serve the parish. There's even a new "Greeter" group that meets parishioners at the door before each Mass.

As for the link to the Fr. Smith article, I can only say WOW.

Date: June 29, 2016 01:03PM

Interesting. Wonder when he want back to a parish. He's been at st. Ambrose in the last few years.

Date: June 29, 2016 01:10PM

Also, if this means he has a short temper and anger issues then he won't get along with decelles very well. And I worry for the homilies.

Posted by: .....1.... ()
Date: June 29, 2016 11:40PM

Smith is surprisingly mellow. A little dry at times but pretty good. Thought he would be at least a little fiery given his fists o' fury moment...But the old priest he clubbed sounded like he was a little Walder Fray-ish.

Date: June 30, 2016 11:38AM

We've been 90% successful in avoiding Decelles mass. We can go to other parishes for random Sundays. The problem we have is wanting CCD and the mass attendance cards are stressful to figure out for sacrament year...makes it harder to skip St. Rays for a sunday.

Date: June 30, 2016 02:06PM

I suggest that you visit the parish office at St. Bernadette's for your CCD questions. We have found the staff there to be extremely helpful over the years. If anything, the CCD program is overcrowded...they always need more volunteers....but it doesn't have the doom and gloom that our children first experienced at St. Raymond's after Fr. DeCelles revamped the staff and program there.

Date: July 03, 2016 12:24PM

today was a fresh breath of air after last week's homily. Not sure if those two will get along....Decelles had a little dig about us getting to know him in the homily.

I wonder if Scalia is the priest to talk to if there are any more issues with Decelles? He must read the bulletin and know what Decelles is saying.

Working together with Decelles as a parish to fight what FCPS is doing isn't a problem...but him wanting to fight while also alienating the public school families is the issue. he needs to come from an understanding that most of his parish are public school families.

Date: July 07, 2016 08:31AM

Well the good vibes lasted until this weekends bulletin. You have to read it to believe it.

Posted by: Questionablechange ()
Date: July 07, 2016 11:41AM

No surprise. I'm actually surprised he only guilted everyone into catholic school and not homeschooling.

Seriously, does he think his public school teachers and administrators feel welcome? Does he want their tainted government money?

Posted by: Aggiefan ()
Date: July 14, 2016 08:26AM

Wishful thinking. He waited until this week to push the homeschool button. Next week, I cannot wait to see how he justifies 3-wife-Trump.

Posted by: Float like a butterfly ()
Date: July 14, 2016 07:49PM

Rooneyiscool Wrote:
> Here is a news clip on the new priest for St
> Raymond...doesn't look too promising
>
> http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/12/father_char
> les_smith_arrested.php

So a vicar beats up the pastor and then the bishop transfers that vicar to St. Raymond's? I wonder if DeCelles gets the hint. I'm sure the collections have dropped off big time at St Rays.

Date: July 14, 2016 08:59PM

He was at st. Ambrose for a few years before st. Raymond's. Looks like they have him time to cool off before sending him to st. Ambrose. It was clear in his homily that it was hard to move and he was upset about it. I don't know if he knew what he was getting into with decelles.

Date: July 15, 2016 08:31AM

Fr. Smith will perhaps learn the true meaning of holding ones tongue in the face of misogyny.

Date: July 15, 2016 09:36AM

After all the preaching, decelles was at the school board meeting!

Date: July 15, 2016 09:50AM

Maybe he'll learn something about our inclusive society and let our young female church members become alter servers. we remain, I believe, only one of two churches in the diocese who prohibit participation by our young girls.

Posted by: Mark j ()
Date: July 15, 2016 08:00PM

The bishop does not care...he had back surgery and is retiring shortly.
Otherwise, what DeCelles says...I'm ok with it

Posted by: PokieHokie ()
Date: July 26, 2016 10:05AM

There's a Pokeman gym in the St. Raymonds parking lot. The good news: attendance is through the roof. The bad news: DeCelles will blast the immoral liberal media in his next letter. Go Yellow Team!!!!!!

Posted by: AggieFan ()
Date: July 26, 2016 03:29PM

Pokémon and St. Raymonds. Now that's funny.

Date: July 27, 2016 08:53AM

That will be the next announcement, no playing on church property.

Posted by: PokemonRocks ()
Date: July 27, 2016 09:12PM

Looks like I'll be going to church this week.

Date: July 28, 2016 03:34PM

Looks like DeCelles is heading out on vacation. Let the Pokémon invasion begin.

Date: August 18, 2016 01:31PM

Vacation must have done Fr. DeCelles a world of good.....this week he only states that FCPSs "brainwash" children.

Date: August 28, 2016 01:40PM

One good homily from Smith has been better than 6 years of lecturing from decelles. And another helpful bulletin letter alllll about the transgender issue again and his "Helpful" advice to take your kids out of the public schools!!

Date: September 28, 2016 01:59PM

What are the chances that he implicitly "endorses" adultery and torture in tomorrow's released bulletin?

Posted by: Ice cream ()
Date: September 28, 2016 04:06PM

Hang ups, you are idiots

Date: September 29, 2016 08:38AM

Call the Pope "disgraceful" - earn the endorsement of Decelles. Enough said.

Date: October 13, 2016 08:38AM

We knew it was coming. This morning the DeCelles' non-endorsement/endorsement came out. Not surprising, but we still weep for the future of our Church.

Date: October 13, 2016 03:30PM

Attempting to explain away a physical assault, i.e., groping, may be his last straw. I hope someone reports him to the Chancery in Arlington.

Posted by: YKLck ()
Date: October 13, 2016 06:25PM

Aggiefan Wrote:
> Attempting to explain away a physical assault,
> i.e., groping, may be his last straw. I hope
> someone reports him to the Chancery in Arlington.

He probably thinks he can get away with anything before the new Bishop is installed. He probably also thinks that saying that he's not endorsing makes his letter ok. Then too, you can call a pig a cow, but that won't make it moo.

Posted by: Ice cream ()
Date: October 13, 2016 07:16PM

Glad he is speaking up...he is correct...one candidate abhors the constitution and dont start with your bullsh?t HC is innocent...

And the Pope is pushing a Communism and he is a disgrace...satan has taken over the Church that is for sure...

God bless Trump!
Go Trump!

Posted by: Joepa ()
Date: October 16, 2016 04:49PM

Please compare Fr, DeCelles' Sunday message, where he ignores the directives of his Pope and bishop AND tries to explain away sexual assault, with the message written by Fr, Rooney at St, Bernadette's.

Posted by: Awesome ()
Date: October 16, 2016 11:26PM

joepa, stupid question...hope you are not a penn stater

Date: October 17, 2016 08:34PM

not surprising at all. Did you see last week's bulletin about how supported loverde was of him through all of the personal criticism he's been through?

Posted by: joepa ()
Date: October 20, 2016 12:52PM

But wait...there's more. In a great attempt at revisionist history, he misstates the history behind the parish mass schedule. Now he's blaming cancelling the 7pm Saturday Mass on the GreenSpring folks, and the fact that its attended by non-St. Raymond folks. So much for our Church being for all of the people. of course, we still remember when be curtailed Saturday evening confessions because they interfered with his dinner plans. Maybe he can become Trump's personal confessor.

Posted by: VW ()
Date: October 20, 2016 02:54PM

DeCelles is a jackass. There's no other way to phrase it.

Posted by: ywkcn ()
Date: October 20, 2016 04:33PM

joepa Wrote:
> But wait...there's more. In a great attempt at
> revisionist history, he misstates the history
> behind the parish mass schedule. Now he's blaming
> cancelling the 7pm Saturday Mass on the
> GreenSpring folks, and the fact that its attended
> by non-St. Raymond folks. So much for our Church
> being for all of the people. of course, we still
> remember when be curtailed Saturday evening
> confessions because they interfered with his
> dinner plans. Maybe he can become Trump's
> personal confessor.

There are six Sunday Masses without the 7 p.m. vigil. There are two priests assigned. What do you expect him to do? He's very clear about the reasons. Are you saying the retirement community isn't actually in St. Bernadette's parish?

The parish offers confession twice on Wednesdays, twice on Saturdays, and, remarkably, three times on Sundays. That's about as convenient as you can ask for.

Pray for your priests.

Date: October 22, 2016 04:27PM

I can understand why he did this. Although, there has been some confusion with regards to Greespring. Apparently, several residents went to St. Raymonds from the beginning and he told them that they actually belong to St. Bernadette's parish and need to move. Not sure if that's true, but there was a decline in residents attending mass a year or two after he arrived as Pastor.

Posted by: Nyet to DeCelles ()
Date: October 22, 2016 06:39PM

We stopped going to St. Raymonds when we learned that De Celles stole money from Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. Can't believe De Celles would discourage anyone from coming to replace the many, many parishioners who abandoned that church when we learned he was a thief. Perhaps he thought they were gay or maybe he didn't think retired folk would contribute to the collection plate.

Posted by: Quality Watcher ()
Date: October 22, 2016 08:19PM

Nyet to DeCelles Wrote:
> We stopped going to St. Raymonds when we learned
> that De Celles stole money from Cub Scouts and Boy
> Scouts. Can't believe De Celles would discourage
> anyone from coming to replace the many, many
> parishioners who abandoned that church when we
> learned he was a thief. Perhaps he thought they
> were gay or maybe he didn't think retired folk
> would contribute to the collection plate.

You can't "steal" what always belonged to you.

Posted by: PAPAJOHN ()
Date: October 27, 2016 04:19PM

No female alter servers - check. Divorce and mistresses - check. Women responsible for single parent families - check. Rightly or wrongly, let's keep the Scouts popcorn money to fund our own group. - check. Texas deserves this fraud..

Posted by: street thug ()
Date: October 27, 2016 08:24PM

Papajohn,

don't want female servers...check
what do you mean..divorce and mistresses? don't start romours, pal.

Fr Gould said the 7pm Mass was a "designer" Mass made just for Greenspring people. If I remember correctly, he had a tussle with the pastor at St B over this and the St B pastor would not talk to him for awhile.

The underlying anger is about not being asked as a parish...only committee members were polled...well, that is about 10% of the parish..what about others? I do NOT believe he said if you were NOT a parishioner , you are NOT welcome...Actually, YOU LIE about about that remark...

I will miss the 7pm...

Date: October 27, 2016 11:13PM

Sorry that you misunderstood my shorthand.

Female alter servers are banned since they would "distract my boys". (to heck with the Church opening it's arms to everyone)

He will conveniently ignore Trump's multiple wives and extra-marital affairs. (to heck with morality)

The Scout saga has been well documented both here and in the printed press....so much so that both the Boston and Washington dioceses sent donations to the troop.

Date: November 03, 2016 09:06AM

Holy smokes....what a misogynistic diatribe in todays letter. Morality means nothing to this man. Commit adultery, assault women, mock the poor and disabled among us - all is forgiven. So much for the separation of Church and State. If women have any say in our entry into Heaven, I know of one person who's in deep trouble. It's time for the authorities in Arlington to put a stop to this Texas fiasco.

Date: November 03, 2016 09:22AM

Let's not forget torture. He's apparently cool with that too.

Posted by: 6513occ ()
Date: November 03, 2016 04:10PM

PAPAJOHN Wrote:
> Holy smokes....what a misogynistic diatribe in
> todays letter. Morality means nothing to this
> man. Commit adultery, assault women, mock the
> poor and disabled among us - all is forgiven. So
> much for the separation of Church and State. If
> women have any say in our entry into Heaven, I
> know of one person who's in deep trouble. It's
> time for the authorities in Arlington to put a
> stop to this Texas fiasco.

Pales in comparison to Hillary's support of abortion on-demand, for any reason, up to the moment of birth, paid for by the taxpayer. Abortion is an intrinsic evil and it is a non-negotiable for Catholics. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the Catechism, or join the many other cafeteria Catholics out there who think being Catholic is just too hard :*(

Posted by: Ice scream ()
Date: November 03, 2016 09:56PM

Spot on 6513...papajohn, do u think clinton is a saint??? I will gladly overlook Trumps past and current antics rather than vote on a globalist Communist puppet of George Soros...I will not vote for Satan..aka Clinton

The diatribe in the bulletin shows Fr DeCelles does not really like either, but if Trump is prolife...well,there ya go..

Posted by: C9ecN ()
Date: November 03, 2016 10:22PM

Ice scream Wrote:
> Spot on 6513...papajohn, do u think clinton is a
> saint??? I will gladly overlook Trumps past and
> current antics rather than vote on a globalist
> Communist puppet of George Soros...I will not vote
> for Satan..aka Clinton
>
> The diatribe in the bulletin shows Fr DeCelles
> does not really like either, but if Trump is
> prolife...well,there ya go..

I really don't believe that Trump's current prolife position is at all reliable - as with many other issues, he'll swear he never said it if it suits his future convenience.

Aside from that, is there really any evidence that the position of any of the sitting Presidents since Roe v. Wade has made a bit of difference in the abortion situation in this country? I sure can't see it. As for the Supreme Court, we had how many years of a Catholic majority on the court and we STILL have Roe v. Wade.

I think that measuring presidential candidates by this issue as a deal-breaker for Catholics no longer makes much sense given the lack of change over the 40+ years we've been at this.

Date: December 08, 2016 09:40AM

I like the new Bishop but I don't suppose he will make any big changes to Pastors in 6 months. of course, Decelles gave the Mass tickets to one of his favorite families and didn't do a lottery or something similar for the whole parish.

Date: December 21, 2016 03:52PM

Been traveling.....missed the lack of a lottery re tickets....not surprising....probably had to do with the money he needs for the rectory "renovations"....did not that he's already crying over one collection this Sunday....

Posted by: ZeePia ()
Date: October 06, 2017 07:57AM

He's back to the FCPS brainwashing homily.....and a weird attempt to link the Las Vegas shooter with abortion.

Posted by: Dr. Memory ()
Date: October 06, 2017 08:23AM

I'm not acquainted with any of the parties to this discussion, nor do I know the subject or his parish. In my experience, though, obsessing about another person's sexual orientation is inevitably projection. Compassion is never out of style.

Posted by: quote unattributed ()
Date: October 06, 2017 08:53AM

Dr. Memory Wrote:
> I'm not acquainted with any of the parties to this
> discussion, nor do I know the subject or his
> parish. In my experience, though, obsessing about
> another person's sexual orientation is inevitably
> projection. Compassion is never out of style.

"How can compassion be at odds with the will of a benevolent God?" Just ask the D-Man, who will condemn the FCPS system whenever he needs to massage his ego.

Posted by: Boo hoo to you too ()
Date: October 06, 2017 10:36PM

That is pretty creative to connect LV shooting and abortion. I will attend this weekend just to hear this cool dude

Date: November 08, 2017 08:21AM

Despite strident sermons, another epic failure regarding DeCelles' implicit endorsements. Maybe there is something to his FCPS "brainwashing" theories, or maybe it's time for hearts to be open to all who live among us.

And by the way, does he really want to spend $400,000 on lighting and new murals to glorify his legacy when that sum of money could be spent on truly beneficent purposes within our community?

Posted by: Hangup ()
Date: January 07, 2018 08:49PM

Wow. Glad we missed those. We haven’t been going and haven’t missed the homilies or the anxiety over what my kids will hear. I really wish he didn’t have to hate on the schools so much. No they aren’t perfect but there is a place in the system for good practicing Catholics. Employees and kids. Not everyone can homeschool or afford catholic school.

I read he wanted every family to donate $500 to project!

Posted by: Hangup ()
Date: January 11, 2018 04:12PM

So I was just reading the bulletin online and he talked about a speaker that came to George Mason high school to talk about her book about a family with a transgender child. I'm sure he doesn't even realize that George Mason is not a FCPS school. But, he also says the students were "apparently forced" to listen to this talk. I did a little digging and parents were notified about the talk and given the option to opt their children out. It's annoying how he doesn't always tell the whole story about things.

Posted by: LBJ ()
Date: January 12, 2018 08:38AM

I should be fun this Sunday to see how he spins Trump's comments with the concept that we are all God's children.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.