HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Whitey's
Posted by: Whoknows? ()
Date: February 27, 2015 05:36PM

Did you ever go to Whitey's in Arlington (Fairfax)? I was surprised they were in business so long and also surprised to see they are no more. When did they close? I've been in a 20-year blackout.

Re: Whitey's
Posted by: Blackie ()
Date: February 27, 2015 05:56PM

They've been closed for a long time now. +10 years.

For some unexplained reason, at one point the little dump became super popular. To the point of being packed all the time and cited as a nuisance due to the parking, noise, and drunk idiots. That lasted for a few years. They closed not long after that played out.

Posted by: TimeMachineTraveler ()
Date: February 27, 2015 06:01PM

It was in Arlington.

It closed more than 20 years ago.

Had great "broasted" chicken.

I was a little scared off by the name of the place at first, being a black man. But once I got over my initial concerns, I wound up patronizing the place more than a few times, and I always felt welcome.

My favorite experience there was going in one afternoon when the Allman Brothers were in town for some event. They wound up eating at Whitey's and before the night was over, they gave an impromptu concert to all of the diners for hours, taking requests.

Posted by: True The Vote ! ()
Date: February 27, 2015 07:22PM

Bring back Blackies House of Beef. I just had a deja vu, It's Whitey's fault.

Posted by: Blackie's ()
Date: February 27, 2015 08:33PM

It didn't close 20 years ago. It was closer to 10, and the site is still a restaurant/bar. Now it's an "upscale" wine bar called Tallula (which I just found out closed in October of last year).

As recently as 2003 I was in Whitey's drinking a beer and eating chicken wings. Tallula opened in 2004.

Posted by: Dr. Doolittle ()
Date: February 27, 2015 09:16PM

True The Vote ! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bring back Blackies House of Beef. I just had a
> deja vu, It's Whitey's fault.

My iguana says that was racist. My poodle disagrees.

Posted by: True The Vote ! ()
Date: February 27, 2015 09:29PM

Hey Dr.Doolittle, One of those opinions was born, the other hatched, let me guess who you side with?

Posted by: old time ()
Date: March 01, 2015 02:41PM

The original whitey's was just the area on the right...and in the back were some dartboards.

In the late '80's early 90's it was crazy lines out the door.

Then, it expanded into the old store (which would have been on the left side) which I think was a pet store at one time...

Closed in 2003-2004...

Many great stories from that place, some folks that met their future husbands/wives there...

This forum powered by Phorum.