HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: is/was "Jeb Stuart High School" any good? (now or in the past)
Posted by: Mark ()
Date: June 25, 2011 01:01PM

I often remember Mark McCaffrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Was "Jeb Stuart High School" any good?
Posted by: Mark ()
Date: July 08, 2011 01:37PM

Tell more!

Posted by: Alex_84 ()
Date: July 08, 2011 03:00PM

RE: Martin Class of '71() ">Wanna hear my lame stories?"

Yeah, I wanna hear them. I had a mother who worked with a lot of City of Alexandria students from that year. Parker Gray was the all-black high school. Hammond and George Washington were mostly white. I think you might have played them in football. This was the "Remember the Titans" era. You remember the civil rights struggles better than most people do.

What local band did you roadie for?

Posted by: recent graduate ()
Date: July 25, 2011 02:50PM

I have just graduated, class of '11, and my feel about Stuart is that is hasn't changed much. The cliques are still there, just not as harsh as they once were( which feels to be the general thought from you former students). Its just that mainly kids band together based upon what extra-curricular activities you do, or what drugs you do. Its still a rather diverse school with many friendships reaching across racial/economic lines. The football team still stinks, though not as much as it once did, and the band program is by far the best thing Stuart has to offer. The IB program is total bull, with too much and very little learning. The teachers care about the students, especially the ESOL students, though Superintendent Dale cares a lot more about SOL scores then about the students actually learning. All-in-all though, its not that bad of a school. Oh, Mr. Roylance and Mrs. Notes have retired this year.

Posted by: That Was Then, This is Now ()
Date: July 25, 2011 03:25PM

recent graduate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have just graduated, class of '11, and my feel
> about Stuart is that is hasn't changed much. The
> cliques are still there, just not as harsh as they
> once were( which feels to be the general thought
> from you former students). Its just that mainly
> kids band together based upon what
> extra-curricular activities you do, or what drugs
> you do. Its still a rather diverse school with
> many friendships reaching across racial/economic
> lines. The football team still stinks, though not
> as much as it once did, and the band program is by
> far the best thing Stuart has to offer. The IB
> program is total bull, with too much and very
> little learning. The teachers care about the
> students, especially the ESOL students, though
> Superintendent Dale cares a lot more about SOL
> scores then about the students actually learning.
> All-in-all though, its not that bad of a school.
> Oh, Mr. Roylance and Mrs. Notes have retired this
> year.

I think Mr. Roylance was the last remaining teacher from when my days. He was a pretty good teacher back when I had him, so lucky for you he stuck with it as long as he did.

It's hard to think the school hasn't changed much, since in the 70s it wasn't very diverse and didn't have too many ESOL students, had a great football team and a lousy band, and offered a lot of AP courses and no IB program. There were about 15-20 Hispanic kids in the entire school, who were mostly the children of Cuban refuges and spoke perfect English.

Posted by: class of 2014 ()
Date: August 21, 2011 08:51PM

Stuart is pretty decent know and the football team gets better each year with coach ferrri returning we made the playoffs with a 5-5 record
its also an easy place to skip school with so many doors and no cameras what so ever
there are cliques in our school but they are by social class and not by race or religion because we have grown up with these people since elementary school
also in-school suspension is fun because the administrator is always making jokes
the only thing thats bad about jeb is that more than 50% of the school smoke marijuana

Posted by: FUCK_U_WELFARE ()
Date: August 21, 2011 10:21PM

NO it is bad, look at the rating 4 out of 10 stars

http://www.greatschools.org/virginia/falls-church/518-Stuart-High-School/
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%

Hispanic 44%
White, not Hispanic 28%
Asian/Pacific Islander 18%
Black, not Hispanic 10%
American Indian/Alaskan Native <1%

Mclean, Langley, Oakton, Madison, Woodson, marshall are much better

Posted by: JEB ()
Date: November 05, 2011 07:03PM

If you mean whiter, then I guess you're right.

Where did you go? Nathan Bedford Forrest High?

Posted by: Larry Williams ()
Date: November 16, 2011 01:30PM

Ray and the guys took us to the State Championship that year which, unfortunately, we lost.

Posted by: VP77 ()
Date: February 28, 2012 05:32PM

Names who went to JEB in the middle and late 70'
Richard Shadyak, CEO St. Judes Charities
Tom Shadyak, Director-Ace Ventura Pet Det. Liar Liar, Patch Adam, Dragonfly,etc...
Jeff Jordan, Former CEO E-Bay, now CEO Paypal
Bruce Cohen, Academy Award winning producer, American Beauty
Jamie Gold, LA Times, San Diego Union Tribune....
Julianne "Smith" Moore actress

Jeb Stuart when I attended was a great school..An article in the Washingtonian "Field of Dreams" is worth taking a look. It is a fairly recent article saying JEB is the most deverse HS in the country this day and age which to me is a good thing.

Yes I dated Julianne Moore, I think it was Smith for about 3 weeks and she dumped me for Joe Balog who was into the Drama Dept.

Mr. Singer was dead in the water as Admin as he was before his time, and Dillard...chasing us as we would skip an Assembly..."I know who you are, I know who you are"

Alot of great teachers...and very few lousy ones..the best was Col Gordnier, (sure the spelling of his last name is wrong.) When Watergate broke out we had the transcripts, the Chicago Dem. Covention riots we had major network anchor leads come talk with us. In one special class he had in 75, 2 sophmores, myself and Cathy DeWinter and it seemed every IVY League accepted senior were taught and tested on Moa's little Red Book to gain entrance into the mock communist party. Cathy was Ivy league bound I never figured out why I was honored to get in that class.
For those who were not college bound they had good tech classes, in fact they opened a state of the art cosmotology school the year of graduation. Was JEB good....hell yes....now I don't know but if the kids of Sleepy Hollow are able to experience the ethnic rainbow of this world, they are better off.

Posted by: Geezer Alert ()
Date: February 28, 2012 05:49PM

Class of '76 had a big 35th year reunion last year, but don't think Class of '77 has locals like Jon Wolford who organize stuff like that. Maybe you need to take the lead...

Some other people from that era who made a name for themselves:

Ann Trebbe - USA Today
Heather Perram (Frank) - AOL
Susan Moffat - Fortune
Mark Elliott - East Asian Studies professor at Harvard

Posted by: Lisa ()
Date: April 20, 2012 01:14PM

Julianne Moore didn't graduate from Wiesbaden HS either--she's a proud graduate of Frankfurt American High School. You guys are all confused...

Posted by: rob harvey ()
Date: July 27, 2012 10:40AM

what happen to lori owens?

Posted by: 3rd Generation Ffx ()
Date: July 27, 2012 10:17PM

For the local area, it is low end school. But nationally it's fine.

Posted by: Roy Ferri Jr. ()
Date: July 28, 2012 05:04PM

The bell is going back to FCHS.

Posted by: Mcc ()
Date: July 28, 2012 11:26PM

I had Ms. Breakiron my freshman year there in 2004. She was awesome! Some of the others sound familiar, but I've never had them.

Posted by: Mcc ()
Date: July 28, 2012 11:39PM

Doug was a school security guard. They only had one daughter together I think. They divorced and she just remarried. I saw her at Target not too long ago.

Posted by: Farid ()
Date: September 19, 2012 12:10AM

I was Mr. Lilley's and Mr. Conrad's lab assistant in '74. I signed a lot of routine paperwork for him, "Stephen R. Lilley."

He must of gone to Virginia Tech because I remember a lot of conversations about their football games.

Really nice guy and I enjoyed being in his class.

Date: September 19, 2012 12:14AM

When I went to Stuart in the early-to-mid 70's, we were a nationally known school in terms of both academics and athletics.

Annandale and Stuart were two powerhouses back then and the basketball team was always very very good.

I haven't been back home in 25 years and I am stunned to hear how things have changed. The area was very posh, almost rich. My dad was a deputy director for the VOA and I was a nobody, surrounded by the kids of congressman, senators and political appointees.

I played basketball with Tommy Shadyac and I think I remember Juliane Moore as a freshman when I was a senior (but am not positive it was her).

Posted by: Blog Reader ()
Date: September 19, 2012 04:14PM

Hey, Farid - did you have a blog at one point that had your recollections about moving from the mideast and growing up in Falls Church in the 70s? I think I saw it once when surfing the web for articles about Stuart. Interesting stories, if I recall.

Julianne Moore (Julie Smith) was at Stuart from 75-77, then her family moved to Germany. She lived near Belvedere ES. She was very smart and very nice. I think she was in Keyettes, too, if that rings a bell.

Posted by: Crystal Ellis (Crystal Pearson) ()
Date: October 20, 2012 07:59PM

i graduated in 90 with Charlie, it was ok. but i focused on Cosmetology with Ms. Vancil and just wanted to finish school, lol.

Date: October 17, 2013 08:43PM

I agree with others -- Stuart was a highbrow quality public school when I went there '71-'74. I lived at Woodlake Towers and had three congressman and a senator living there. Barcroft was a ritzy area then.

I was a photographer for the yearbook (Mr. Roylance) and Raiders Digest (Miss Mask). I had a great education and other than a black takeover of the main hallway for an hour after lunch, there were no problems.

I played basketball with Tommy Shadyac all the time but didn't get along with his brother Rick. John King was a superb football and basketball player.

Coach Fauls was a great man and that football team was great every year I was there -- except my senior year, we were just average. No one could stop Scott Burton and QB, John King at WR and Ray Friday and Bruce Wiley at running back.

I went back home to DC for the first time in 30 years in May 2012 and was stunned to see the changes around Falls Church / Culmore areas.

Everyone talks about gangs and drugs surrounding the school. I live in Idaho now -- no drugs, no gangs, no problems. I guess it's because everyone here owns a gun and bad guys would rather not take the chance.

Date: October 17, 2013 08:44PM

Yes, that was me. Pretty much all of that is on facebook now.

Posted by: Benditt ()
Date: October 17, 2013 09:46PM

2006 GRADUATE. not as good as Falls Church

Posted by: JEB Alum ()
Date: October 18, 2013 09:57AM

Farid Wrote:
> I agree with others -- Stuart was a highbrow
> quality public school when I went there '71-'74. I
> lived at Woodlake Towers and had three congressman
> and a senator living there. Barcroft was a ritzy
> area then.
>
> I was a photographer for the yearbook (Mr.
> Roylance) and Raiders Digest (Miss Mask). I had a
> great education and other than a black takeover of
> the main hallway for an hour after lunch, there
> were no problems.
>
> I played basketball with Tommy Shadyac all the
> time but didn't get along with his brother Rick.
> John King was a superb football and basketball
> player.
>
> Coach Fauls was a great man and that football team
> was great every year I was there -- except my
> senior year, we were just average. No one could
> stop Scott Burton and QB, John King at WR and Ray
> Friday and Bruce Wiley at running back.
>
> I went back home to DC for the first time in 30
> years in May 2012 and was stunned to see the
> changes around Falls Church / Culmore areas.
>
> Everyone talks about gangs and drugs surrounding
> the school. I live in Idaho now -- no drugs, no
> gangs, no problems. I guess it's because everyone
> here owns a gun and bad guys would rather not take
> the chance.

You should have graduated the next year, when JEB Stuart won the regional football title behind John Banks and Ray Friday. I think they beat Lee for the championship, which tells you how much times have changed.

Stuart has changed a lot since we were there but the Lake Barcroft and Sleepy Hollow areas are still nice, even if Culmore is far worse, so there's still a core of kids who speak English, take the harder classes, etc.

Posted by: Lancer '77 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 11:56AM

Correct...Stuart beat Lee 20-14 in OT for the Northern Region Championship in 1974. Also, Lee and Stuart have the same physical plant...and were both Confederate War Heroes.

Posted by: TJ73 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 06:38PM

Despite demographic challenges (high poverty, large numbers of students learning English), a lot of good things are going on at Stuart now. Students from all different backgrounds are encouraged to and do take higher level courses. The gang problems are long-gone, to whatever extent they existed. The students from the 2013 graduating class showed the highest improvement for all of Fairfax County in the SAT areas of Critical Reading, Critical Writing and Mathematics.

Posted by: Old Raider ()
Date: October 18, 2013 08:58PM

Farid Wrote:
> Yes, that was me. Pretty much all of that is on
> facebook now.

Hey, I just pulled up an old Bleacher Report article you wrote in 2009 that talked about Stuart in the 1970s.

Kind of late for corrections, but the Mathias girls were not the daughters of Mack Mathias, the Maryland senator. Their dad was Bob Mathias, who was an Olympic gold medalist and later in the House of Representatives, representing California. He passed away in 2006 - very nice family.

Posted by: Mbc ()
Date: May 05, 2015 06:35AM

In the 60s and 70s it was a top high school in the country. The changes in the demographics in the school district has really changed the school and the neighborhoods.

Posted by: Multicultural Day ()
Date: May 05, 2015 09:40AM

I thought we're all the same. Is that not true anymore?

Posted by: back in the day assholes ()
Date: May 05, 2015 10:02AM

Got their asses beat down at Annandale Jack in the box. Germaine and his buddy trump are probably in prison.

Posted by: ABC Alum ()
Date: May 05, 2015 01:54PM

back in the day assholes Wrote:
> Got their asses beat down at Annandale Jack in the
> box. Germaine and his buddy trump are probably in
> prison.

Are you talking about Kevin and Eric or their younger brothers? Kevin passed away a few years ago, so be polite. That family did more for Annandale than just about anyone around, and his sisters were and are absolute sweethearts.

Posted by: John Banks ()
Date: August 29, 2015 02:13AM

Now the want to change the name because JEB Stuart was a confederate soldier!

Stupid!

Everybody is on this faky bandwagon because of the church shootings when a day before that incident no one care about the schools name.

Regardless, great school! I was there in the early 70's when the football and rowing team were good.

Today, it's more like the UN though the surrounding neighborhoods would suggest otherwise.

Go Raiders!

Posted by: mcjc ()
Date: September 06, 2015 06:13PM

jeb is a stupid name for a school

Posted by: Cora ()
Date: February 02, 2016 02:46AM

U went to J.E.B.Stuart back in 1969 and 1970. The school wasn't bad then. And if that is the same Mr. Dillard. I had him as a Teacher then. But I heard he became a princible later. This Mr. Dillard always looked Sharp, Nice bright suits on. He kept the boys straight I tell ya that. He was also funny. Is that the same one?

Posted by: Questioning 1975 ()
Date: June 08, 2016 10:19AM

On page one of this thread "Retired Consultant" writes…..
In the mid 70's the Principal of that time, William Parish (who was seldom seen outside of his office) and his Assistant Principal, a man by the name of Dillard, allowed social tensions due to lack of equal enforcement of discipline to cause a large fight (some say riot) to occur in December of 1975.

Active consultant responds….
"Stuart was actually one of the strongest high schools in the county well into the late 1970s. The changes at Stuart had nothing to do with the so-called "riot" in December 1975 (which was basically a bunch of black kids setting off fire extinguishers in the hallways one afternoon)."

So does anybody know the backstory? In searching local papers PRINTED IN 1975 INCLUDING WaPo archives I find nothing. This story is now being recirculated as
……"By 1974, there was a black history club, and its efforts to create a float for the homecoming parade (featuring Hannibal crossing the Alps) were met with ridicule by white students, she says. That led to “a race riot,” and police brought in reinforcements to quell the violence. A psychotherapist was subsequently assigned to the school to help reduce racial tensions"

Posted by: Terrance ()
Date: June 21, 2016 09:59AM

I'm getting ready to send my daughter there for school. She's an awesome athlete in track and softball. But I want to make sure the coaches aren't weird with girls. She's leaving a school with a big scandal of a coach who gotta close to one of the female atheletesz any feedback please would be helpful!!!!

Posted by: asd ()
Date: June 21, 2016 06:11PM

its just full of chents

Posted by: oldy moldy ()
Date: June 21, 2016 08:47PM

True Alum Wrote:
> Stuart was actually a pretty good place to go to
> school in the 70s - does anyone remember:
>
> Miss Mask?
>
> Mr. Singer?
>
> Ms. Breakiron?
>
> Mr. Roylance?
>
> Sorority girls from Tri-Hi-Y?

Graduated in '82 back when Culmore was full of Vietnamese boat people not hispanics. Ms. Breakiron taught biology, right?

Posted by: Mary Ann Barbee ()
Date: September 07, 2016 09:15PM

Thanks for remembering my brother Mark McCaffrey.
My granddaughter is now a senior at Stuart...all advanced classes. J.E.B. Stuart is a great school - I hope the don't change the name.

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: September 08, 2016 07:17AM

Many posts before, but that picture of Julianne Moore makes her look like an amputee. Maybe that's the look she was going for...

Posted by: Insider at yeb estuar ()
Date: September 09, 2016 02:38AM

SOL testing fraud is now the norm by your friends at gatehous and gros

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: September 09, 2016 09:12AM

Google search “jeb stuart high school fairfax” and USNews and Greatschools identify the school as “Stuart High School”. Is that because of the recent controversy over the name?
Attachments:
jeb stuart google search.png

Date: December 11, 2018 03:30PM

I graduated in 1974. It was an upper crust school (Barcroft area), upper middle-class homes and apartments for government workers (We had one senator and three congressman in our Woodlake Towers building). Only place that was "low rent" was the Culmore apartments, and even there it was the traditional mom, dad & kids living in a clean home.

I was friends with Tommy Shadyac who went on to do all those Jim Carrey movies. His dad was Christian Lebanese and my family was more Muslim Lebanese. Julianne Moore was a year behind me and I think she moved to Germany or somewhere before she graduated.

I asked my (black) friend Gerald Robinson once how he felt about playing football with a confederate general on his helmet. "Oh, man; I just want to play football" he responded. My black friends in that period knew people or had family who were lynched or killed in the south. Many of them had thick southern drawls. Yet they never took the anger out on us and never called us racists or names.

My street ended at a tall fence and I jumped it one day. It was the "black" area. It was older and looked like the 1940's, but every home had a mom and a dad. The fathers wore very load clothing, and many used cigarette holders, but they were just like my dad. When I walked by, they would call me out by name, and want to know if I was doing well in school, and if I was respecting my parents. "Well, that's fine!" one dad wold always say. They were great people, just like the white families down the street. The dads were out on Saturday mornings polishing their (much older) cars and mowing (with a push mower) their yards. They celebrated the 4th of July with tears just like we did. These were the people who couldn't get jobs and ran in fear of their lives in the south, but they saw good in this country and supported it.

Today? These young African Americans think racism rules their lives. Their parents though, who lived (and at times died) under racism, knew it would all change one day. They hated the white idiots, but not the white people. It's all just real sad, man.

Posted by: Anne Barcroft ()
Date: December 11, 2018 03:46PM

it's ghetto as fuck!

Posted by: Raiders Digestion ()
Date: December 11, 2018 10:31PM

Farid Wrote:
> I graduated in 1974. It was an upper crust school
> (Barcroft area), upper middle-class homes and
> apartments for government workers (We had one
> senator and three congressman in our Woodlake
> Towers building). Only place that was "low rent"
> was the Culmore apartments, and even there it was
> the traditional mom, dad & kids living in a clean
> home.
>
> I was friends with Tommy Shadyac who went on to do
> all those Jim Carrey movies. His dad was Christian
> Lebanese and my family was more Muslim Lebanese.
> Julianne Moore was a year behind me and I think
> she moved to Germany or somewhere before she
> graduated.
>
> I asked my (black) friend Gerald Robinson once how
> he felt about playing football with a confederate
> general on his helmet. "Oh, man; I just want to
> play football" he responded. My black friends in
> that period knew people or had family who were
> lynched or killed in the south. Many of them had
> thick southern drawls. Yet they never took the
> anger out on us and never called us racists or
> names.
>
> My street ended at a tall fence and I jumped it
> one day. It was the "black" area. It was older and
> looked like the 1940's, but every home had a mom
> and a dad. The fathers wore very load clothing,
> and many used cigarette holders, but they were
> just like my dad. When I walked by, they would
> call me out by name, and want to know if I was
> doing well in school, and if I was respecting my
> parents. "Well, that's fine!" one dad wold always
> say. They were great people, just like the white
> families down the street. The dads were out on
> Saturday mornings polishing their (much older)
> cars and mowing (with a push mower) their yards.
> They celebrated the 4th of July with tears just
> like we did. These were the people who couldn't
> get jobs and ran in fear of their lives in the
> south, but they saw good in this country and
> supported it.
>
> Today? These young African Americans think racism
> rules their lives. Their parents though, who lived
> (and at times died) under racism, knew it would
> all change one day. They hated the white idiots,
> but not the white people. It's all just real sad,
> man.

Julianne Moore (Julie Smith) was Class of 1979 but moved to Germany after her sophomore year. If you graduated in 1974 you were never there at the same time.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.