HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Fairfax Says "NO WAY" To Boosterthon Scam!
Posted by: Brett Trapp and Boosterthon ()
Date: February 20, 2015 03:50PM

There is a complete lack of transparency with Boosterthon. The company was founded by an evangelical with aspirations of being some sort of televangelist, and it is operated by a man who not only spent five years to get a degree in English, but he also presided over the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, which has been banned at many schools for abuses.

Ladies and gentlemen, these individuals, Chris Carneal and Brett Trapp are NOT who you want teaching morals to your children.

The solution is clear. Boosterthon must be banned until the serious problems with it have been rectified.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Booster Booster ()
Date: February 21, 2015 12:09AM

Brett Trapp and Boosterthon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a complete lack of transparency with
> Boosterthon. The company was founded by an
> evangelical with aspirations of being some sort of
> televangelist, and it is operated by a man who not
> only spent five years to get a degree in English,
> but he also presided over the Alpha Tau Omega
> fraternity, which has been banned at many schools
> for abuses.
>
> Ladies and gentlemen, these individuals, Chris
> Carneal and Brett Trapp are NOT who you want
> teaching morals to your children.
>
> The solution is clear. Boosterthon must be banned
> until the serious problems with it have been
> rectified.

So which laws did Boosterthon violate? I missed your list of exact laws they violated. And for which were the prosecuted and convicted?

Posted by: Exactly! ()
Date: February 21, 2015 09:34AM

Exactly! I think there's definitely a cover up going on.I found more of the misdeeds online that they're trying to sweep under the rug

Based on review of meditions the center did not have current authorization. Evidence Child A 's parent authorization for medication had expired March 13/2013

Based on review of the escape log there was no escape practice for February 2013

Based on review of staff files the center failed to sign the staff reference checks. Evidence: Staff A with a hire date of 8/29/11, Staff B with a hire date 9/21/09 staff C with a hire date of 1/30/12 did not have the name of person checking references.

Based on review of staff files the center failed to maintain driving records for van drivers. Evidence Staff B with a hire date of 8/29/11 That drives a van, There is on documentation of the staff disclosing any moving traffic violations.

Based on review of staff records the center failed to maintain current background checks. Evidence: Staff A with a hire date of 9/26/09 . Has a sworn statement and a Central registry check (CPS) dated 9/21/09 and it expired 9/21/12.

Posted by: Chris Carneal Cover Up ()
Date: February 21, 2015 03:09PM

Why doesn't Boosterthon list their employees? Could it be to conceal their poor qualifications?

FCPS should be contracting with qualified teachers, not college dropouts and wannabe televangelists.

Chris Carneal is the serpent in the garden-speaking with a forked tongue to fatten his bank account.

Posted by: go shovel ()
Date: February 21, 2015 03:33PM

Shut up and go shovel.

Posted by: The truth comes out! ()
Date: February 21, 2015 03:46PM

Posted by: a parent complaint ()
Date: February 23, 2015 12:35PM

"The Boosterthon folks take over the school and inject themselves into so many pieces of the school day," said Karen Zatz, whose two children attend Fry Elementary School in Naperville. "(They are) playing with kids, eating lunch with them, and I think that's a purposeful manipulation. I also personally don't think it's the responsibility of very young children to fund-raise for their PTA. Parents are the ones who should be fundraising, not my 6-year-old."

UPDATE: National PTA clarifies
Posted by: NewHorizon ()
Date: February 23, 2015 02:43PM

a parent complaint Wrote:
> "Parents are the ones who should be fundraising, not my 6-year-old."

Yes, let's have our small children - barely beyond their afternoon-nap phase - do what adults don't want to do. /sarc

Anyway, so about the National PTA, whose website says:
"Children should not be the primary means of soliciting within fundraising activities.
http://www.ptakit.org/Fundraising/Fundraising-and-the-Purpose-of-PTA/Standards-for-PTA-Fundraising.aspx

They clarified their guidelines in an Email. And then my request for permission to quote directly from the Email was met with a response about not being authorized to make public comments. I guess I can't really take that as a "yes", and so I'll paraphrase...

Their stance is that the PTA people (including parents) are to serve - and fundraise - on BEHALF of the children regardless of how lucrative it might otherwise be. The children can be allowed to share in the Fun Run experience, so long as its the *parents* who do the soliciting and so long as the kids aren't used as a means of gaining incremental donations (dollar amount for each mile walked, each lap run, etc.).

The distinction here is that we want to support our children but not leverage them.

(To verify the above, I would leave you to find your own means of contacting the National PTA.)

Re: UPDATE: National PTA clarifies
Posted by: Nat PTA ()
Date: February 23, 2015 04:18PM

I also contacted National PTA with the exact same question...their reply was, and I quote:

"Thank you for contacting the National PTA. You will need to contact your State PTA as you follow their rules, bylaws and guidelines. If you would provide the state you reside in, I will forward their contact information to you."

I therefore question whether what you wrote is true, or if you made it up to fit your agenda

Posted by: A valid point ()
Date: February 23, 2015 04:30PM

You can create controversy from anything if you try hard enough. Schools do a lot of things during the day. Assemblies, field trips, science fairs, book fair and much more. They don't teach in the classroom 100% of the day. The character and leadership program that Boosterthon offers is just another addition to the educational process, and Boosterthon pays for the entire program and all of the materials out of the percentage they receive. T-shirts for all kids whether they get pledges or not, is a major cost, plus staff pay, character curriculum materials for all kids, race materials and much more.

You can argue that schools already teach character traits, but they also teach science and kids still go on science field trips. Part of instilling certain things in kids is doing it a few different ways. Boosterthon offers something to schools that reinforces positive character traits, they raise a lot of money and they cover all costs out of their percentage.

Date: February 23, 2015 04:42PM

Nat PTA Wrote:
> I also contacted National PTA with the exact same
> question...their reply was, and I quote:
>
> "Thank you for contacting the National PTA. You
> will need to contact your State PTA as you follow
> their rules, bylaws and guidelines. If you would
> provide the state you reside in, I will forward
> their contact information to you."
>
> I therefore question whether what you wrote is
> true, or if you made it up to fit your agenda

Yes, when I called them, I got the same response.
But then I picked an Email address from here:
http://www.pta.org/about/content.cfm?ItemNumber=948

If you still have difficulty, PM me:
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/pm.php?0,page=send
(You'll need to have a registered fairfaxundergroun ID.)

But in the meantime, don't let me discourage you from contacting your state's PTA as well.

Posted by: Nat PTA ()
Date: February 23, 2015 05:41PM

I did contact my state PTA and they encourage healthy findraising over other alternatives. They endorse the idea of a fun run to raise money and said it's up to each individual PTA to choose which fundraisers they do

Posted by: YHEn4 ()
Date: February 23, 2015 06:09PM

The States Attorney Generals office needs to look into misusing publicly funded time and determine if it is or not.

Posted by: Tommy Test Tube ()
Date: February 23, 2015 08:31PM

A valid point Wrote:
> You can create controversy from anything if you
> try hard enough. Schools do a lot of things during
> the day. Assemblies, field trips, science fairs,
> book fair and much more. They don't teach in the
> classroom 100% of the day. The character and
> leadership program that Boosterthon offers is just
> another addition to the educational process, and
> Boosterthon pays for the entire program and all of
> the materials out of the percentage they receive.
> T-shirts for all kids whether they get pledges or
> not, is a major cost, plus staff pay, character
> curriculum materials for all kids, race materials
> and much more.
>
> You can argue that schools already teach character
> traits, but they also teach science and kids still
> go on science field trips. Part of instilling
> certain things in kids is doing it a few different
> ways. Boosterthon offers something to schools that
> reinforces positive character traits, they raise a
> lot of money and they cover all costs out of their
> percentage.

Try again. Science field trips are part of the school curriculum. The school does not subcontract them to a shady outfit staffed with religious fanatics, fraternity organizers, and college dropouts.

What, also, are the credentials of Boosterthon to develop character? It seems like they might be good at teaching kids how to rush a fraternity and work in a call center-hardly a model for leadership.

Posted by: go to hell ()
Date: February 23, 2015 08:31PM

go to hell you boosterthon freaks, hands off our kids!

Date: February 23, 2015 09:42PM

Nat PTA Wrote:
> I did contact my state PTA and they encourage
> healthy findraising over other alternatives. They
> endorse the idea of a fun run to raise money and
> said it's up to each individual PTA to choose
> which fundraisers they do

Doesn't sound like they addressed the guidelines the National PTA has on their web site (see ptakit.org link above) - if that's the question you asked.

If/when you contact the Nat PTA, ask them to take down those guidelines in light of the success of Booster & Apex Fun Runs. That's a request they can't kick down to the State PTA. Then, if your experience is the same as mine, they'll explain why they won't do that - and that explanation is what I summarized above.

But really, going back to: "The distinction here is that we want to support our children but not leverage them." I don't know why anyone would disagree with that regardless of who said it.

Date: February 23, 2015 10:26PM

Nat PTA Wrote:
> I did contact my state PTA and they encourage
> healthy findraising over other alternatives. They
> endorse the idea of a fun run to raise money and
> said it's up to each individual PTA to choose
> which fundraisers they do

Maybe ask the VA State PTA to remove this sentence in section 4.18 ("Virginia PTA Position on Fundraising"), item 5 of the Local Unit Resource Guide because Boosterthons are so successful:

"The regular school day schedule should not be disrupted, nor should the children be expected to give up their free time"

http://www.vapta.org/new-unit-document-package/doc_download/2345-section-04-financial-management.html (PDF file)

Maybe also ask them to strike "A PTA OR PTSA IS NOT A MONEYMAKING OR MONEY-RAISING ORGANIZATION." from 4.18(1) and to strike "MATERIAL AID TO THE SCHOOL IS NOT THE FUNCTION OF A PTA OR PTSA." from 4.18(2)...?

(I haven't done this. I honestly don't know what you'll get back.)

Posted by: A valid point ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:35AM

Again, you can spin things any way you want to so it fits your agenda. I guess you could say the same about me though. At what point do people just agree to disagree? This discussion has been going on for how long on fairfaxunderground? Sort of beating a dead horse at this point. Rules and regulations can be read and interpreted a few different ways and people are always going to read and interpret them the way they see fit.

I doubt going on and on about it on a message board for a year or two is going to produce any real meaningful change if that's what you want. All I'm seeing happening is its drawing out the crazies who's words reduce the validity of any argument you feel that you have. It might be a better use of your time to take your opinion to your schools PTA rather than fairfaxunderground. In the end it's just a fundraiser that you don't like and would rather not have at your school.

Posted by: paul revere ()
Date: February 24, 2015 06:31AM

science fair, field trips, and even book fair (this directly links with reading and library time) are educational. Assemblies are also part of running a school day. Pulling kids out of class to fundraise is not part of the school day.

I agree that this is going in circles right now and being obnoxiously repetitive. However, ffu is a great way to get people talking about a problem. They can then bring it up with their school staff, school board, whatever. Sharing ideas, thoughts, research is easily done here. They can keep on doing this as long as they want, but I do agree some of the far-fetched ideas and unrelated theories are diluting the presentation (the daycare issues, the Taliban, ISIS, the Christian issues).

Posted by: school board election ()
Date: February 25, 2015 01:51PM

I'm working to get this Boosterthon thing included in the school board election debates. Will be interesting to see what Ryan McElveen has to say about it as well as the Republican response.

Posted by: boiling point ()
Date: February 25, 2015 02:41PM

It boils down to this for me-

Why are they using instructional hours to raise funds? The cost of those has already been calculated out.
I think the only thing left to figure out is whether to do this after school or not at all. And who should have the contract. Sounds like the school system.
I don't think the election or the party has anything to do with this. Somebody needs to nail down whether the instructional program should be violated for these types of things.
Now the Legislature wants to start doing bake sales during the school day. They can hardly get to classes on time as it is. More interruptions. They will take the treats to classes and want to eat them during class, which will be a mess, as well as disruptive.

Date: February 25, 2015 03:43PM

For me, it doesn't "boil down." We have:
  • Paying teachers to stand back while Booster staff covers the same character-building topics that the school counselors already cover - during the school day,
  • Being opaque to our contributors about what percentage Booster takes,
  • Recruiting kids in lieu of adults to solicit funds,
  • The question of whether they're being manipulative toward the children rather than motivative with the prizes,
  • The PTA/Booster contract which forces the PTAs to waive their rights to a jury trial (and thus to class-action lawsuits) and
  • waives their rights to have other fundraisers simultaneously with the Fun Run,
  • The questionable practice of offering all-expense-paid trips to Atlanta to PTA board members for "focus groups",
  • The wisdom of placing children's info (per instructions to the parents) into Booster's computer systems
  • The apparently empty role of the FCPS-Booster contract has in light of the alleged absence of any Purchase Orders or Invoices created under that contract.

I probably missed something. But anyway, anybody who wants to make Booster an issue for board elections either has a lot of territory to cover or needs to carefully select which one(s) are likely to gain the most traction.

"Children should not be the primary means of soliciting within fundraising activities."
"The anticipation of a successful fundraising event should not cloud the judgment of the PTA or be exploited by those outside the PTA who may have something to gain privately."
"And children should never be exploited or used as fundraisers."
National PTA -
http://www.pta.org/mobile/OCArticle.cfm?ItemNumber=4192

" The regular school day schedule should not be disrupted, nor should the children be expected to give up their free time"
" A PTA or PTSA is not a moneymaking or money-raising organization."
" Material aid to the school is not the function of a PTA or PTSA."
VA PTA -
http://www.vapta.org/new-unit-document-package/doc_download/2345-section-04-financial-management.html (PDF)
Boost the Children   

UPDATE: Possible enforcement action resulting from kids' videos
Date: March 06, 2015 09:39AM

The FCPS Office of Safety and Security, upon being asked if YouTube videos of children soliciting for donations raises the same safety issues as children making "cold calls" as prohibited in the FCPS contract (*), asked that specific examples be sent to Contracts & Procurements for possible enforcement action. This information was so submitted.

No response from follow-up communication with Contracts & Procurements. (All these snow days may or may not have something to do with it - I don't know.)

Example of video of child soliciting donations: https://funrun.com/sponsor/a6e4b79384c682a557a87a8c8e2e1bed07682c6d

Booster Enterprises suggests that such videos be made: http://www.boosterthon.com/pledgesecrets/

(*) - para 1.10 at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cregister/DownloadPDF.aspx?AttachmentID=669a5263-61cd-486c-b312-fd5bbbf162bd

"Children should not be the primary means of soliciting within fundraising activities."
"The anticipation of a successful fundraising event should not cloud the judgment of the PTA or be exploited by those outside the PTA who may have something to gain privately."
National PTA -

" The regular school day schedule should not be disrupted, nor should the children be expected to give up their free time"
VA PTA -
http://www.vapta.org/new-unit-document-package/doc_download/2345-section-04-financial-management.html (PDF)
Boost the Children   

Boosterthon "agreement"
Posted by: Bobby ()
Date: March 10, 2015 06:23PM

Boosterthon "agreement"

Posted by: Bobby ()

Date: March 10, 2015 05:15PM

Below are the requests. Above are the responses. These fun runs were set up on nothing but a handshake/phone call/verbal agreement. There was no written verification of PTA/PTO insurance covering these runs and no verified naming of FCPS as an additional insured. There was no verification of anything probably. The PTA and PTO just sign somebody up and bring them in to deal with the children and take over the entire school, the staff, the students, and the building and grounds during the school day. The liability is wide open here. So if/when they told you that the parent groups were operating under the community use regulation, they were probably just making it up to blow you off.

Your civic duty gopher,

Bobby

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Date: March 10, 2015 at 3:47:01 PM EDT
To: -------------------
Subject: FOIA Response -

Dear Mr.----------

This serves as the response to your request for information, received February 27, 2015, pursuant to the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.

There are no responsive records to your request for “Community Use applications for the Boosterthon runs at Stenwood and White Oaks Elementary Schools, documents related to third-party involvement with these events, proof of liability insurance coverage held by the parent organizations that was presented to the school system with the applications, particularly naming FCPS as an additional insured, any ADM-24 or ADM-24a and all attachments and related documents, any FS-133 or any other written agreement with the parent organization stipulating authorization to use the school facilities during the school day for a parent sponsored fundraising event, including dealing with the children and involving staff who are on duty under their county contracts.”

Both principals granted their school permission to conduct the Boosterthon runs verbally. The remaining requested documents do not exist because ADM-24s are for fee based classes, camps and clinics held after school and during non-school hours. Boosterthon runs occur during the school day and are sponsored by individual PTA organizations. PTA organizations must assume financial responsibility for their activities to include permits, licenses, and insurance coverage.

Sincerely,

Brandynn Reaves

FOIA Officer/ Public Information Specialist

Office of Communications & Community Relations

Fairfax County Public Schools

T +1 571-423-1200 | F +1 571-423-1207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Reaves, Brandynn
Subject: Community use applications

Ms. Reaves: I have already asked to see contracts regarding two Boosterthon events at Stenwood Elementary and White Oaks Elementary. In the event that these are sponsored by a PTA or PTO, I would like to see the following-

The complete applications for community use including the name of the person who approved the application and the full name of the Organization Event Coordinator

All documents related to third-party involvement with these events
Any proof of liability insurance coverage held by the parent organizations that was presented to the school system with the applications, particularly naming FCPS as an additional insured.

Any ADM-24 or ADM-24a and all attachments and related documents.
Any FS-133
Any other written agreement with the parent organization stipulating authorization to use the school facilities during the school day for a parent sponsored fundraising event, including dealing with the children and involving staff who are on duty under their county contracts.

Email or disc is preferred. Please inform me of any search costs exceeding $100 Thanks!

Posted by: Carneal Boosterthon Crash ()
Date: March 11, 2015 07:43PM

It looks like Boosterthon may come crashing down-in Fairfax County anyway.

Many questions being asked in an election year-school board and board of supervisors don't have good answers.

It may be that Chris Carneal will end up selling "Zrii" (after all, Deepak Chopra endorses it), Lynndie Carneal can sell "Pure Romance" and Brett Trapp can become a "Mancave" agent (Mancave meetings are like frat initiations anyway).

Who would have guessed?

UPDATE: Contract, Invoices, Purchase Order...
Date: March 16, 2015 03:08PM

Maybe this helps the discussion about contracts, reimbursements, liabilities, etc, etc. Not sure it was worth the effort, though, since the line between motivating the kids and manipulating them is still going to be crossed with each Fun Run.

• The 1st attachment is the result of an FOIA request. It shows a marked-up contract, invoices, and purchase order between Booster and N. Springfield Elementary School.
    Yes, the SCHOOL - not its PTA.
    I don't know how many FCPS schools contracted directly with Booster. I was only interested in seeing a contract from any ONE school and so that's what I requested.

• The copy of that contract didn't include it's "Exhibit B" - the pricing. A follow-up request to FCPS for Exhibit B got the response along the lines that it's not available. (Yeah, strange.) So attachment 2 is an Exhibit B from the PTA of a different school (who I'll leave nameless). So as shown, the 48% figure is old news.

• The 3rd attachment - the blue image below - is from yet another school (withholding its name here too) and appears to show "what-if" projections for the school's Fun Run depending on which level of Booster service (Express, Event, Live) the school decides to contract for. I can't explain the slight descrepency - at $86K projected revenue, this attachment shows that the school's take is 58% for the "Live" level, whereas Exhibit B (again, for the "Live" level) shows 57%. Well, whatever...

National PTA -

VA PTA -
Boost the Children   
Attachments:
Booster North Springfield ES FY 2014_Redacted.pdf
Boosterthon_Contract.10.pdf
Booster_spreadsheet_redacted.png

Re: UPDATE: Contract, Invoices, Purchase Order...
Posted by: this is trouble ()
Date: March 16, 2015 03:23PM

So now we have a SCHOOL giving full access to Boosterthon?

Good bye, Karen Garza.

Posted by: Bravo! ()
Date: March 16, 2015 03:25PM

Strong work, New Horizon.
Look at all the handwritten modifications on that contract.
Has anybody figured out what happens if people don't make good on their pledges? Does Boosterthon still have to be paid for those?
The contracts, liabilities, and school regulations are your best ammunition to make sure this is handled properly if it is done at all. You can complain all you want about the other issues like PTA regulations, where the Boosterthon people went to college, etc., but it doesn't get you very far in dealing with straightening this out.

Posted by: whataboutassemblies ()
Date: March 16, 2015 03:39PM

My kids school had a special assembly to reward students who met specified goals. I think it was animal handlers and some live entertainment or something. It made my kid feel bad because they didn't do anything towards the assembly and couldn't go. It was during school hours. What can be done about that? Why are the schools allowed to do anything in school other than go to classes?

Date: March 16, 2015 03:43PM

Bravo! Wrote:
> The contracts, liabilities, and school regulations
> are your best ammunition to make sure this is
> handled properly if it is done at all. You can
> complain all you want about the other issues like
> PTA regulations, where the Boosterthon people went
> to college, etc., but it doesn't get you very far
> in dealing with straightening this out.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I would suggest that issues regarding the children's safety and security get the best traction. I'll have another update along those lines later.

National PTA -

VA PTA -
Boost the Children   

Posted by: Bravo! ()
Date: March 16, 2015 04:02PM

The safety and security issues are wrapped into the liability and contract issues. The school system needs to be held to their regulations and the state laws that created those.

Date: March 16, 2015 04:18PM

whataboutassemblies Wrote:
> It was during school hours. What
> can be done about that? Why are the schools
> allowed to do anything in school other than go to
> classes?

I wish there was a silver bullet solution. But depending on how deep your convictions, perhaps at least get yourself on the agenda of your next PTA meeting to express your concerns and refer them to the Virginia PTA position statement on fundraising during the school day (see my sig below). Your PTA may point to the "success" of Boosterthon. And/or they'll say that the vast majority of parents are in favor Boosterthons. But remind them that the VA PTA didn't write up that stuff in a vacuum - it's there for a purpose. And then ask your PTA if they're is committed to following those guidelines or not.

If you want to private-message me (you'll need to register here at FFXU), I'll send you Email from the National PTA about their stance on using kids to solicit in lieu of adults. (I don't have explicit permission to post it publicly.) Take that to the meeting as well. Even if your school has a PTO instead of a PTA, the values expressed in the letter from the Nat'l PTA might still resonate.

Having said that, alas, the odds of walking away from the meeting in disappointment is probably high.

8VAC20-131-200 from the Code of Virginia: "Extracurricular activities must be organized to avoid interrupting the instructional program. Extracurricular activities shall not be permitted to interfere with the student's required instructional activities."
So perhaps also write either to your state representative or to the state attorney general informing that Boosterthons stand in violation.

National PTA -

VA PTA -
Boost the Children   

Posted by: asdlfkjh ()
Date: March 16, 2015 04:34PM

> My kids school had a special assembly to reward
> students who met specified goals. I think it was
> animal handlers and some live entertainment or
> something. It made my kid feel bad because they
> didn't do anything towards the assembly and
> couldn't go. It was during school hours. What
> can be done about that? Why are the schools
> allowed to do anything in school other than go to
> classes?

The current regulation reads the principal is allowed to have one assembly per year to present fundraisers. Children are not excused from classes for fundraisers. The high schools are given a little liberty in scheduling in one major pep rally (like for Homecoming) and a couple of other things, but not much leeway is given. The instructional hours are just too expensive.

Are you saying that these were academic goals or fundraising goals? There shouldn't be any fundraising goals. I don't think it is appropriate to say only kids who get certain grades can go to a fun assembly like this. Rewards for grades should come from the families.

Posted by: whataboutassemblies ()
Date: March 16, 2015 04:53PM

It was a fundraister - but nothing to do with Boosterthon.

Posted by: asjskffub ()
Date: March 16, 2015 06:04PM

> It was a fundraister - but nothing to do with
> Boosterthon.

They aren't supposed to put pressure on kids to fundraise as in making them feel bad, left out, etc. This whole fundraising thing just goes too far. I think they need to focus on managing the money they are given better before they resort to putting this kind of pressure on the children.

Posted by: Hey NewHorizon--- ()
Date: March 16, 2015 09:37PM

Why do you think there was a need for another contract when FCPS already had a contract signed? That contract said any other contract did not bind the county. So, why was there another county contract? The original contract said 48%. This one had the $2000 in addition to the cut. There should have been a purchase order done to order up the services, and the checks written. There shouldn't have been the need for another contract.

Posted by: why 2 contracts? ()
Date: March 17, 2015 04:39AM

4 AUTHORITY:
4.1 The PurchaSing Agent has the sole responsibility and authority for negotiating, placing and when necessary modifying every contract and purchase order (except for caP!tal construction projects) issued by Fairfax County. In the discharge of these responsibilities, the Purchasing Agent may be assisted by aSSigned contract administrators. Specifically delegated employees are authorized to order supplies or services, and obligate the government of Fairfax County for indebtedness. Any purchase ordered or contract made which is contrary to these provisions and authorities shall be of no effect and void and shall not be binding on the County.

^^^^^

Why was there a second contract?

Posted by: simple explanation ()
Date: March 17, 2015 01:16PM

why 2 contracts? Wrote:
> 4 AUTHORITY:
> 4.1 The PurchaSing Agent has the sole
> responsibility and authority for negotiating,
> placing and when necessary modifying every
> contract and purchase order (except for caP!tal
> construction projects) issued by Fairfax County.
> In the discharge of these responsibilities, the
> Purchasing Agent may be assisted by aSSigned
> contract administrators. Specifically delegated
> employees are authorized to order supplies or
> services, and obligate the government of Fairfax
> County for indebtedness. Any purchase ordered or
> contract made which is contrary to these
> provisions and authorities shall be of no effect
> and void and shall not be binding on the County.
>
> ^^^^^
>
> Why was there a second contract?

To confuse people-don't forget, this "Boosterthon" arrangement is likely not completely proper, or FCPS would be more willing to talk about it.

Date: March 17, 2015 02:04PM

I forgot a part of my earlier update...

I asked FCPS for purchases orders & invoices related to the Booster-FCPS contract. Response: "Unfortunately, the Office of Procurement Services (OPS) has no way to tell which schools are using the ‘central’ contract (which was established by OPS) or if schools have signed their own contract directly with Booster Enterprises. This is because there are no funds being obligated to this company, thus no purchase order is issued."

Even if the 'central' contract isn't used by any school nor activated in any other way, it's still unclear to me if its mere existence nevertheless allow Boosterthons - to the FCPS way of thinking - to be categorized as school-sponsored events instead of just school-related events which in turn allows Booster greater access to FCPS facilities and students, according to FCPS regulations.

Posted by: FYI----- ()
Date: March 17, 2015 05:10PM

If the principal or another school official signed a contract, this is a school sponsored event. 100% sure. All the way. No doubt about it. The legal teams will have to evaluate the issue of having two contracts, as the main contract seems to negate the second. However, if the school official signed any contract they are liable for the whole nine yards. No doubt here. Even if the contract is not enforceable, then they still have to assume the responsibility because a school official's name is on it. Don't you let them turn their back on you. You hold them accountable. The principal might be authorized to authorize services, but I would think it would be under the contract signed by the contracting officer. This really doesn't make any sense.

More fun for Division Counsel.

Posted by: djKnujn ()
Date: March 17, 2015 09:54PM

The existence of the FCPS-Booster contract really has absolutely nothing to do with allowing Boosterthon to happen at all if it is not activated. There might be some type of myth going around, but it is unsubstantiated. The contract clearly says if a purchase order is not issued from that contract that the contract is not in effect. If the school system doesn't understand what that means, then they need to figure it out.

Date: March 18, 2015 06:19AM

Well then it seems the taxpayers are spending money on the FCPS manhours used to put together a contract without any knowledge that the contract serves any purpose.

Certified Vendors
Posted by: Are they on The List? ()
Date: March 18, 2015 08:07AM

Posted by: Yes indeed ()
Date: March 18, 2015 08:48AM

NewHorizon Wrote:
> Well then it seems the taxpayers are spending
> money on the FCPS manhours used to put together a
> contract without any knowledge that the contract
> serves any purpose.

I think somebody already pointed that out.
Keep the contracting people busy creating contracts that are ignored. Great.

Posted by: UjbDrbS ()
Date: March 19, 2015 07:34AM

why 2 contracts? Wrote:
> 4 AUTHORITY:
> 4.1 The PurchaSing Agent has the sole
> responsibility and authority for negotiating,
> placing and when necessary modifying every
> contract and purchase order (except for caP!tal
> construction projects) issued by Fairfax County.
> In the discharge of these responsibilities, the
> Purchasing Agent may be assisted by aSSigned
> contract administrators. Specifically delegated
> employees are authorized to order supplies or
> services, and obligate the government of Fairfax
> County for indebtedness. Any purchase ordered or
> contract made which is contrary to these
> provisions and authorities shall be of no effect
> and void and shall not be binding on the County.
>
> ^^^^^
>
> Why was there a second contract?

The other thread points out that principals do have the authority to contract and obligate using school generated funds? Why would they need to do this if there is a contract available? I do not understand this.

Posted by: get in line ()
Date: March 19, 2015 01:54PM

A LOT of people don't understand what is going on with Boosterthon, except that Boosterthon is making a lot of money.

Explanations are needed-if they aren't provided, it looks like we'll get a new school board.

Posted by: WTF-UMES ()
Date: March 19, 2015 06:11PM

Subject: Inclement Weather Plans for Boosterthon Fun Run

A message from UNION MILL ES

Because of the inclement weather expected tomorrow, we have devised alternate schedules for the Boosterthon Fun Run. In the event of wet weather and an on-time school opening tomorrow, the Fun Runs will take place at the following times and locations:

or

In the event of a two-hour delay tomorrow, the Fun Runs will take place at the following times and locations:

Is Boosterthon that important?

Posted by: Absolutely!!!!! ()
Date: March 19, 2015 06:27PM

WTF-UMES Wrote:
> Subject: Inclement Weather Plans for Boosterthon
> Fun Run
>
> A message from UNION MILL ES
>
> Because of the inclement weather expected
> tomorrow, we have devised alternate schedules for
> the Boosterthon Fun Run. In the event of wet
> weather and an on-time school opening tomorrow,
> the Fun Runs will take place at the following
> times and locations:
>
> or
>
> In the event of a two-hour delay tomorrow, the Fun
> Runs will take place at the following times and
> locations:
>
> Is Boosterthon that important?

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

They have some kind of deal going where if they get enough pledges Mr. Douds (the AP) will teach a PE class. That puts a lot of pressure on kids to sell pledges, and makes them feel like they aren't helping out if they don't.
Somebody has a contract with Boosterthon and they need to fulfill it or it will be a mess, weather or not. That is important.

Posted by: Boosterthon contracts? ()
Date: March 20, 2015 02:13PM

These contracts need to be made public so that people know what's going on. This trickery with PTO/PTAs and then the schools is just not right. I also want to know what goes on at those sessions in Atlanta, and also how it can be that the schools are willing to give up thousands of dollars in instructional time.

Posted by: this is just too much ()
Date: March 23, 2015 12:50PM

Boosterthon hands out the "next level" toy to the kids, lets them play with it, takes it back and then tells them go earn it?

Boosterthon needs to go, now.

This is getting to the point where taxpayers need to assert control. Throw out the board, throw out Garza, and get some educators in there. Close the loophole that lets PTA/PTO run Boosterthons. Those trips to Atlanta are some kind of bribes I'm sure.

Posted by: Boot Boosterthon ()
Date: March 24, 2015 05:43PM

Given the actual costs of Boosterthon, getting rid of it could help reduce the budget panic Ed Long is crying about.

If he can figure out a way to make it pay for itself, and make money for the schools, without interfering with classroom time, I'd like to see his plan.

UPDATE: A fix to funrun.com
Date: April 07, 2015 09:39AM

Endlösung Wrote:
> Wonderful. A database of children.

"Wonderful" indeed. :-/

So we hafta ask, what assurances do parents, PTA/Os, and FCPS have that the information that parents put into Booster's web site is secure?

Does Booster's web site undergo some sort of security analysis?
Or maybe we're just relying on the threat of immediate cancellation of the central FCPS-Booster contract to motivate Booster to keep their web site secure?

From the contract (bolding mine)...
1.6 The Contractor shall maintain the confidentiality of all personal information obtained as a
result of providing services under this contract. Personal information includes, but is not
limited to, name, address, phone number, work/school location, etc. [...] Failure to comply
with this requirement will result in immediate cancellation of this contract.
(Link to contract: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cregister/ContractDetails.aspx?contractNumber=4400003780 )

Well, whatever we're relying on, it's not working.

Attached is a copy of a kid's funrun.com page from a while back where we see the child is identified as "Kaylee C".
But her last name was revealed either by clicking on the Email link at the top-center of the page, or - if your browser isn't set up to launch
an Email app - by viewing the HTML (aka, Page Source) by pressing ctrl-u. In this attachment, I've replaced the girl's family name with X's.

An FCPS principal let Booster and the FCPS Office of Procurements know. This problem was later remedied.

Here's the link to the kid's page as it exists now at funrun.com:
https://funrun.com/sponsor/a6e4b79384c682a557a87a8c8e2e1bed07682c6d
(She's a student at Lemon Road ES.)

(Some elements of my attached web page are missing because the page is not coming from the same web server as those elements, not because I was overzealous with my editing.)

No word on whether the status of the contract has been duly altered.
Also, I have no update on what happened to the other issues referred to the FCPS Office of Contracts and Procurements for possible enforcement action:
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read.php?2,1687747,1806814,page=2#msg-1806814

I'm not anti-Booster Enterprises, believe it or not. And I get that revealing family names may have been an oversight on Booster's part.
But what message would it send if FCPS gives Booster a "pass"?

National PTA -

VA PTA -
Boost the Children   
Attachments:
Kaylee_FunRun_redacted.htm

Posted by: Paging Ryan McElveen ()
Date: April 07, 2015 03:55PM

So, Ryan McElveen, what is your position on Boosterthon?

Posted by: how about a solution? ()
Date: April 09, 2015 08:21PM

Hold Boosterthon after school hours off of school property, staffed with Boosterthon people. Works for me.

Posted by: But...... ()
Date: April 09, 2015 09:25PM

how about a solution? Wrote:
> Hold Boosterthon after school hours off of school
> property, staffed with Boosterthon people. Works
> for me.

The funds are supposed to run through school accounts because students are used to raise funds.

Posted by: give it up ()
Date: April 09, 2015 10:10PM

Angela Atwater, Ed.D., says the matter is closed. Shut up and send the schools more money to waste.

Date: April 09, 2015 10:10PM

Angela Atwater, Ed.D., says the matter is closed. Shut up and send the schools more money to waste.

Date: April 09, 2015 10:11PM

Posted by: sorry wrong number ()
Date: April 27, 2015 12:52PM

No, the matter is not closed. FCPS did not get all the money it claims it needs. Now is the time for answers instead of this "matter is closed" crap and refusals to answer questions from Garza and Lockard.

Posted by: undertaker ()
Date: April 27, 2015 02:11PM

Nothing is ever closed. You can even re-open a coffin. C'mon.

Posted by: >>>>> ()
Date: April 27, 2015 08:13PM

Posted by: time the avenger ()
Date: April 28, 2015 09:42AM

How much time will have to pass before FCPS will answer questions about the new draft regulations?

Angela Atwater, Ed.D. claimed the matter was closed.

Posted by: riddickerlous ()
Date: April 28, 2015 10:04AM

sorry wrong number Wrote:
> No, the matter is not closed. FCPS did not get all
> the money it claims it needs. Now is the time for
> answers instead of this "matter is closed" crap
> and refusals to answer questions from Garza and
> Lockard.

They are planning on using student class hours to do fundraisers to close the gap.

Posted by: Debbie Dictionary ()
Date: April 29, 2015 10:39AM

These new standards talk about not significantly disrupting the school's educational day.

I think this needs to be defined in great detail or it will just be ignored.
Attachments:
boosterthon.jpg

Posted by: ^$#^(* ()
Date: April 29, 2015 11:01AM

Debbie Dictionary Wrote:
> These new standards talk about not significantly
> disrupting the school's educational day.
>
> I think this needs to be defined in great detail
> or it will just be ignored.

You got that right.

Posted by: Maker's Mark ()
Date: April 29, 2015 11:02AM

^$#^(* Wrote:
> Debbie Dictionary Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > These new standards talk about not
> significantly
> > disrupting the school's educational day.
> >
> > I think this needs to be defined in great
> detail
> > or it will just be ignored.
>
>
> You got that right.

It is like telling a college student to drink "lightly".

Date: April 29, 2015 11:21AM

Wait - just "Middle and High Schools"???

Posted by: try again losers ()
Date: April 29, 2015 11:39AM

NewHorizon Wrote:
> Wait - just "Middle and High Schools"???

If that's the best FCPS can do, then they need to start over. Wasting educational time to put money into Boosterthon's pockets is the WRONG thing to do right now.

Posted by: bottomline ()
Date: April 29, 2015 11:46AM

FCPS surveys shows significant majority of parents support Boosterthon. With parental and staff support it will continue.

Posted by: Blinded by Science ()
Date: April 29, 2015 11:53AM

bottomline Wrote:
> FCPS surveys shows significant majority of parents
> support Boosterthon. With parental and staff
> support it will continue.

Where are these surveys? What sampling methodology was used? Given the amount of money that Boosterthon really costs, more is needed than this "FCPS surveys shows…" crap.

Something tells me statistical rigor was not part of Angela Atwater's Ed.D. curriculum.

Posted by: 1320 ()
Date: April 29, 2015 02:51PM

Posted by: uh - oh ()
Date: April 29, 2015 03:52PM

This is going to make it kind of hard to hand out the junk Boosterthon prizes in the classroom:
Attachments:
prizes.jpg

Posted by: boosterthon ()
Date: April 29, 2015 04:37PM

uh - oh Wrote:
> This is going to make it kind of hard to hand out
> the junk Boosterthon prizes in the classroom:

Dream on. "MAY BE PROVIDED."

End of story. The "as long as" is subject to interpretation.

Date: May 09, 2015 10:13AM

Nutrition guidelines schmidelines...

"The Friday before the Fun Run, we had "Boosterthon Spirit Day". Students wore their Boosterthon t-shirts and we gave a free red or blue sno-cone to every student at lunch."
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/154529830936456080/
Attachments:
booster_cones.jpg

Posted by: why bother? ()
Date: May 10, 2015 01:17PM

Let's just get rid of teaching. We can spend the money we save to pay for transgender bathrooms.

If those cost too much, let Boosterthon in so the jocks can have turf fields.

We'll just have to make sure the Boosterthon prizes are gender appropriate. It will also be interesting to see how Boosterthon implements a pan-gender toga party.

Posted by: why would this happen? ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:22PM

Why is someone posting the Boosterthon FAQ? Is this official from Boosterthon or is someone like ETHAN just playing around?

Posted by: Wait---- ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:49PM

Are the Boosterthon prizes transgender appropriate? You might be on to something here.....
Quick-somebody send Dr. Atwater and Dr. Zuluaga another letter.
No transgender approval = no Boosterthon?
It needs to be added to the list for the transgender consultant. Anybody know who that is?

Posted by: dsflkjh* ()
Date: May 13, 2015 04:56PM

Village People Wrote:
> If Boosterthon is just men, this gender thing
> could be a big deal. Bigger than anything Atwater
> or Zuluaga has ever seen!
================================================

They will have to get some shemales in order to comply.

Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated FCPS-Booster contract
Date: May 21, 2015 12:00PM

The FCPS-Booster contracted has been extended and is updated to include an expanded Booster Enterprises Services Agreement.
Click "Amendment 2" at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cregister/ContractDetails.aspx?contractNumber=4400003780

The expanded Services Agreement places a few responsibilities on Booster Enterprises that weren't in previous Service Agreements - example, the "Character Education" curriculum needs to be FCPS-approved.

Keep in mind that the FCPS-Booster contract is not in force if the PTA/O engages Booster instead. Whether this same expanded version of the Services Agreement will be offered to the PTA/Os for 2015-2016 is not yet known. But theoretically, Booster can still offer the shorter agreement and the PTA/O can still with their autonomy sign it either because they just want to or because they simply don't know of the more restrictive Services Agreement.

Posted by: remaining issue for PTA/PTO ()
Date: May 21, 2015 12:09PM

The PTA/PTOs don't have the authority to commit school resources. That issue needs to be hammered with FCPS.

The first time someone in FCPS with half a brain looks at Booster's lessons, it will be all over for Booster.

Re: Updated FCPS-Booster contract
Posted by: ok...........new contract ()
Date: May 21, 2015 03:56PM

It says on page 1-

"3. Booster activities are prohibited from occurring during instructional time." Just how do they intend to do this? Stopping instructional time for this (so that instructional time is not intruded upon) does not meet this as far as I am concerned. They would still have to allow use of taxpayer funded time to do this. We pay for lunch time, recess, walking down the hall, everything. Just when do they plan on doing the pep rallies, run, etc.?

The parent groups can't contract with Booster until the school system addresses the many major ambiguities in the fundraising regulation draft. That is not clear at all on the issues of who has to be the sponsor when students are involved. They have also not produced an explanation of what they mean by "co-sponsorship". That is a fictional term. School resources can't be used for parent sponsored things. If FCPS is on anything, they own it. So, how can anything be co-sponsored? It is not enough to just have the parent group agree to turn the money over to the school system. You would still have major transparency and liability issues. The school system tends to fall on their sword when their records are in the hands of outside entities. They simply can't consistently summon the power they have in these situations. The money is also at tremendous risk while in non-public accounts. Remember Navy PTO? It was siphoned off and vanished. Poof. Gone.

Interesting how the character lessons have to be approved by the school system.

In their own pathological way I think FCPS was actually paying attention to what some people were saying.

I would bet some other school systems are going to see this contract and follow suit. There are some major changes.

Date: May 21, 2015 06:53PM

ok...........new contract Wrote:
> Remember Navy PTO? It was
> siphoned off and vanished. Poof. Gone.

I didn't see this. Could somebody catch me up?

Posted by: hindsight ()
Date: May 21, 2015 07:02PM

Posted by: Naval History ()
Date: May 22, 2015 01:46AM

Navy had Boosterthon. Where did that money go?

Date: May 22, 2015 10:43AM

Minor points, I suppose, but a couple of things missing (in a good way) from this added Services Agreement over Service Agreements of the past include:

- A forced-arbitration clause,
- A prohibition against running other fundraisers simultaneously with a Boosterthon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 01:21PM by NewHorizon.

Re: UPDATE: Possible enforcement action resulting from kids' videos
Posted by: 20/20 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 12:02PM

page 3 8. a. Says the client is advised to not do any other fundraisers at the same time in order to maximize success. But, that does not rule out having other fundraisers at the same time.

This thing also says Booster will not have any access to the Client's accounts. This is pointless because it is all public record anyway if the money is run through the school accounts.

Date: May 22, 2015 12:36PM

20/20 Wrote:
> page 3 8. a. Says the client is advised to not do
> any other fundraisers at the same time in order to
> maximize success. But, that does not rule out
> having other fundraisers at the same time.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Of course "success" means different things to different people.
For Booster, the more revenue for the Fun Run, the more successful it is.

For PTA/O, financial success often measured in overall revenue across all fundraisers. (Putting aside, for the moment, the the VA PTA Local Unit Resource Guide which says, "A PTA or PTSA is not a moneymaking or money-raising organization.")

So if the PTA/O ran a no-fuss fundraiser as an alternative offered to the contributors during the Fun Run, the PTA/O might have more "success" with that. Booster, not so much.

FWIW, and as comparison, the previous Services Agreement read, "The Client shall not actively promote any other fundraiser, including any annual fund, from the date of the “Initial Teacher Meeting” (according to the date assigned to this meeting on Exhibit A) until the date of the Primary Collection." (same paragraph: 8a)

Re: UPDATE: Possible enforcement action resulting from kids' videos
Posted by: Ah HA ()
Date: May 22, 2015 01:02PM

20/20 Wrote:
> page 3 8. a. Says the client is advised to not do
> any other fundraisers at the same time in order to
> maximize success. But, that does not rule out
> having other fundraisers at the same time.
>
> This thing also says Booster will not have any
> access to the Client's accounts. This is
> pointless because it is all public record anyway
> if the money is run through the school accounts.

Somebody was thinking shrewdly when they adjusted the "other fundraiser" clause. Hadn't seen that mentioned before. Nice move.

Boosterthon
Posted by: yup,,, ()
Date: May 22, 2015 01:51PM

Under the old contract , if you got lucky and somebody wanted to give you a chunk of cash, and it was Boosterthon time, you had to say "come back next month". Not any more. You can now say "thank you very much" and trot off to the bank. Strike while the iron's hot. Grab it and run. Wonder how they wangled that. "Do it or you lose FCPS" would probably work. Love it.

Re: Boosterthon
Date: May 22, 2015 02:19PM

yup,,, Wrote:
> Under the old contract , if you got lucky and
> somebody wanted to give you a chunk of cash, and
> it was Boosterthon time, you had to say "come back
> next month".

Well if the direct-donation didn't come about as the result of another fundraising campaign, then I view the wording of the old contract as not prohibiting it. My PTA prez allowed me to make a direct cash contribution during the Boosterthon. But who knows - it's possible she accepted the money without thinking too carefully about the contract.

But yeah, I should think FCPS has clout with ANY organization whose livelihood depends on school districts.

Posted by: antiboosterthon ()
Date: May 22, 2015 05:04PM

The PTA president at White Oaks Elementary School during the two years of Boosterthon now works as an employee at that school. The Atlanta trip plus employment after Boosterthon? Shady. The whole thing is shady.

Posted by: name names please ()
Date: May 22, 2015 05:07PM

antiboosterthon Wrote:
> The PTA president at White Oaks Elementary School
> during the two years of Boosterthon now works as
> an employee at that school. The Atlanta trip plus
> employment after Boosterthon? Shady. The whole
> thing is shady.

Erin Hackney? The principal there, Ryan Richardson, is also a first rate piece of work, the whole thing needs to be investigated.

Boostertoon is so corrupt. Carneal and Trapp could give lessons to Nigerian princes.

Posted by: dkshnfuegb ()
Date: May 22, 2015 06:20PM

The person probably just got a job because something opened up. Happens all the time. I think you are blowing this out of proportion.

Re: UPDATE: Contract changes
Date: June 10, 2015 11:12AM

Effective last week, a third amendment to the FCPS-Booster contract makes a couple of changes:

1)
"1.3 The Contractor shall not disengage students from instructional class time for any purpose related to the fund-raiser."

... is changed to...

"Unless otherwise approved by the principal, the Contractor shall not disengage students from instructional class time for any purpose related to the fund-raiser;"

2) (emphasis mine)
"1.6 The Contractor shall maintain the confidentiality of all personal information obtained as a result of providing services under this contract. Personal information includes, but is not limited to, name, address, phone number, work/school location, etc. Firms may only use this information for purposes required by this contract. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in immediate cancellation of this contract. Contractor shall not release, disclose, sell, distribute, or otherwise use any FCPS students', staff members' and/or parents' personal information.

... is changed to ...

"The Contractor shall maintain the confidentiality of all personal information obtained as a result of providing services under this contract. Personal information includes, but is not limited to, name, address, phone number, work/school location, etc. Firms may only use this information for purposes required by this contract. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in immediate cancellation of this contract. Contractor shall not release, disclose, sell, distribute, or otherwise use any FCPS students" staff members' and/or parents' personal information. All other prices terms and conditions remain unchanged."

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cregister/ContractDetails.aspx?contractNumber=4400003780

Posted by: So......... ()
Date: June 10, 2015 11:17AM

So........ the principal allows the students to be disengaged and then we are paying $13.60 a child per hour to fundraise during school hours. Marvelous. What is the SB for if they don't clamp down on this crap?

Date: June 10, 2015 11:24AM

But wait... hold on a sec...

If FCPS uses up its buffer days (aka snow days) leaving us with the state-mandated minimum of 990 hours of instructional time, and the principal uses a couple of instructional hours "for any purpose related to the fund-raiser", is the school still within the law?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2015 11:25AM by NewHorizon.

Posted by: XXXL ()
Date: June 10, 2015 11:31AM

NewHorizon Wrote:
> But wait... hold on a sec...
>
> If FCPS uses up its buffer days (aka snow days)
> leaving us with the state-mandated minimum of 990
> hours of instructional time, and the principal
> uses a couple of instructional hours "for any
> purpose related to the fund-raiser", is the school
> still within the law?

Problem is, you let these people do fundraising during the school day, it will become their reason for being there. If there is money to be made, damn the classes and full speed ahead. I can see it now-Fundraiser of the Week. A standing assembly every Monday. Plus, it also puts children who are ordered to be in school by the state and county, yet ordered by their parents to not solicit, in a huge bind.

Posted by: Boosterthon = First Class SCAM ()
Date: June 10, 2015 11:45AM

NewHorizon Wrote:
> Effective last week, a third amendment to the
> FCPS-Booster contract makes a couple of changes:
>
> 1)
> "1.3 The Contractor shall
> not disengage students from instructional class
> time for any purpose related to the
> fund-raiser."

>
> ... is changed to...
>
> "Unless otherwise approved
> by the principal, the Contractor shall not
> disengage students from instructional class time
> for any purpose related to the
> fund-raiser;"

>
> 2) (emphasis mine)
> "1.6 The Contractor shall
> maintain the confidentiality of all personal
> information obtained as a result of providing
> services under this contract. Personal information
> includes, but is not limited to, name, address,
> phone number, work/school location, etc. Firms may
> only use this information for purposes required by
> this contract. Failure to comply with this
> requirement will result in immediate
> cancellation of this contract. Contractor shall
> not release, disclose, sell, distribute, or
> otherwise use any FCPS students', staff members'
> and/or parents' personal information.

>
> ... is changed to ...
>
> "The Contractor shall
> maintain the confidentiality of all personal
> information obtained as a result of providing
> services under this contract. Personal information
> includes, but is not limited to, name, address,
> phone number, work/school location, etc. Firms may
> only use this information for purposes required by
> this contract. Failure to comply with this
> requirement may result in immediate
> cancellation of this contract. Contractor shall
> not release, disclose, sell, distribute, or
> otherwise use any FCPS students" staff members'
> and/or parents' personal information. All other
> prices terms and conditions remain
> unchanged."

>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cregister/ContractDet
> ails.aspx?contractNumber=4400003780

The funny thing is, why are there both FCPS and PTA/PTO Boosterthon contracts? Why do they keep getting changed? Isn't that a waste of money in and of itself?

Parents should raise hell.

The school board does not care, they got their raise. They should only serve a two year term, they have become complacent. Good thing Storck is gone, though, and hopefully we can lose at least one of the three 'at large' (= do nothing) members.

Date: June 10, 2015 12:13PM

Boosterthon = First Class SCAM Wrote:
> The funny thing is, why are there both FCPS and PTA/PTO Boosterthon contracts?

The Fun Runs are either done through the FCPS school itself or through the PTA/O. The two are unrelated - ie, they have separately negotiated contracts. The FCPS-Booster contract has no bearing on any relationship between Booster and the PTA/O, according to an FCPS Assistant Superintendent who replied to me (once).

The contract with FCPS - even with all its faults - contains far more provisions in favor of the client (including the children) than the Booster-supplied contract which in turn is quite likely, IMO, the only version that your local PTA/O is aware of.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.