HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Yuk- John Tsioushis' new restaurant - Mamma's Kitchen in Hybla Valley
Posted by: get a life ()
Date: October 20, 2009 01:15PM

if anyone has a beef with anyone that was mentioned on this blog including the owners of the restuarant why don't you be a MAN and discussed it with them face to face and stop hiding behind this blog.

Its obvious the person who started this blog has a beef with John and this restaurant and slamming them and a new business does not accomplish anything but only demonstarte how patheic they are

If you were living a happy existence you wouldn't be on blogs trashing people all day- dont impose your misery on others

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 20, 2009 01:31PM

get a life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you were living a happy existence you wouldn't
> be on blogs trashing people all day- dont impose
> your misery on others

... says the guy trashing people on this "blog."

Why don't you figure out the difference between a "blog" and a "message board" before making statements that make you sound like you don't know what you're talking about?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Live in Mt Vernon ()
Date: October 20, 2009 04:37PM

Momma's Kitchen is a great restaurant. My family is so glad the area finally got another family-owned place to get good food, versus another fast-food joint. The lady who owns the place is always there working and very gracious. Hopefully it will be successful and stay open for a long time!

Regarding it being empty of customers, we've always found it busy at lunch and very busy at dinner; slower during mid-afternoon, but that's no different than any other restaurant. It's a good place to go with friends, as the menu has enough variety to please everyone. Understand that they are now serving breakfast on the weekends. We will have to try that, too!

Posted by: Hate2Cook ()
Date: October 20, 2009 05:06PM

I agree with Live In MtVernon that the Momma's Kitchen restaurant is very good. We go there regularly and my daughter loves the pizza. The menu has a lot of variety and the servings are large. We usually have take-home boxes with leftovers for later meals, so the cost is very reasonable.

Posted by: YUMMY FOOD ()
Date: October 20, 2009 08:08PM

YOU GOTTA TRY THEIR BLANCA PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUMMY FOOD

Posted by: Tom Yam ()
Date: October 22, 2009 12:53PM

Love the exchange of ideas!

Posted by: Angry Vicky ()
Date: October 29, 2009 12:49PM

I sure am glad to see a new family restaurant prosper!

Posted by: Alex Boutsalis ()
Date: November 07, 2009 02:04PM

Where are all the haters?

Posted by: What's new in Hybla Valley? ()
Date: November 13, 2009 03:56PM

ha ha ha!

Posted by: Yiolita ()
Date: December 05, 2009 10:17AM

Thinking of JT during the holidays!

Posted by: George HadjiCurious ()
Date: December 23, 2009 12:44PM

JT is having the time of his lowlife!

Posted by: Mike Hunt ()
Date: January 31, 2010 04:31PM

Piece of shit place... pizza is bland, service is slow. parking is a hassle.

Date: February 01, 2010 02:10PM

Who's running it?

Posted by: mybrif ()
Date: February 04, 2010 08:45AM

I went. a little disorganized and alot of yelling from kitchen.

maybe growing pains

Posted by: GB ()
Date: February 04, 2010 10:08AM

Why does EVERYONE insist that JT is involved with this? cant a cypriot family just have a restaurant? whats with all this BS bashing?

and for all of you JT is a GREAT person. everyone makes mistakes, oh well.

Posted by: GB ()
Date: February 04, 2010 10:10AM

NO! try it with either Bacon or Mushrooms... sounds weird, tastes great.

YUMMY FOOD Wrote:
> YOU GOTTA TRY THEIR BLANCA
> PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>
> YUMMY FOOD

Posted by: Mr. V. ()
Date: February 12, 2010 03:29PM

Is it finger lickin' GOOD?

Posted by: Ben BROOKER ()
Date: February 13, 2010 03:53PM

Is momma working in the kitchen?

Posted by: JT ()
Date: March 08, 2010 09:23PM

John Tsiaoushis made a "few "mistakes? LOL - More like significant premeditated fraud!

http://homeequitytheft.blogspot.com/2008_05_04_archive.html

Northern Virginia Man Cops Plea In Serial Refinancing Scam
In Northern Virginia, The Washington Post reports:

* [John A. Tsiaoushis, 40,] The former owner of a string of Washington area nightclubs and restaurants pleaded guilty [last week] to federal mail fraud and false-testimony charges relating to a series of real estate scams that netted him more than $3.8 million. [...] Tsiaoushis filed for bankruptcy in October 2005. But by that time, he had begun a series of mortgage frauds in which he repeatedly sold or refinanced two houses in Vienna and in the Fort Hunt area of Fairfax County.

According to the story, Tsiaoushis' scheme involved the diversion of funds earmarked for the payoff of existing liens on the two homes he repeatedly sold or refinanced. Among his alleged escapades were:

1. creation of documents purportedly from the mortgage companies involved,
2. opening local post office boxes,
3. presentation of phony documents indicating that all liens had been resolved,
4. creation of phony bankruptcy court order,
5. directing the real estate settlement company to send the payoff checks to the post office boxes which were purported to belong to the mortgage companies involved, at which point, Tsiaoushis would pocket the checks.

--------------------------------------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/01/AR2008050103240_pf.html

Ex-Club Owner Pleads Guilty in Mortgage Scams

By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 2, 2008

The former owner of a string of Washington area nightclubs and restaurants pleaded guilty yesterday to federal mail fraud and false-testimony charges relating to a series of real estate scams that netted him more than $3.8 million.

John A. Tsiaoushis, 40, formerly owned the now-defunct Shark Club nightclubs in Centreville, Merrifield and Bethesda, the Acropolis and Cloud restaurants in the District and the short-lived Chics n Wings restaurant in Tysons Corner. Tsiaoushis filed for bankruptcy in October 2005.

But by that time, he had begun a series of mortgage frauds in which he repeatedly sold or refinanced two houses in Vienna and in the Fort Hunt area of Fairfax County.

In May 2006, Tsiaoushis sold a house on Chadwick Avenue in Fairfax. The next day, court records show, he told a bankruptcy judge that he had not sold the house and wouldn't do so without the judge's permission.

"We all pay the price for mortgage fraud, and we will prosecute it wherever we unearth it," U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg said after yesterday's hearing. He said mortgage companies that absorb such losses often pass the cost on to consumers. The case is one of the largest mortgage frauds prosecuted in eastern Virginia, Rosenberg said.

Pending his sentencing hearing July 18, Tsiaoushis's attorneys, Blair D. Howard and Plato Cacheris, declined to say why Tsiaoushis (pronounced shy-OH-shis) got involved in mortgage fraud.

"He's acknowledged that he's made mistakes," Howard said. "There were circumstances that don't excuse, but will explain, that certain financial problems occurred. A series of financial problems. People do things when they have serious financial difficulties."

Tsiaoushis told U.S. District Judge Liam O'Grady that he had agreed to help federal investigators. O'Grady said Tsiaoushis's sentence could be reduced if he cooperates.

Prosecutors said Tsiaoushis faces a possible sentence of seven to nine years in prison, according to federal guidelines, but O'Grady can deviate from that.

Much of Tsiaoushis's activity centered on a 3,200-square-foot house on Pennycress Lane.

In January 2005, while Tsiaoushis owed more than $588,000 on the mortgage, he sold the house without repaying it. Court records show he created documents purportedly from the mortgage company, opened a post office box in Beltsville and had the settlement company send checks totaling $586,000 to the "mortgage company's" post office box, which Tsiaoushis then deposited.

Using friends and associates, Tsiaoushis helped refinance the house for subsequent buyers. In each case, checks settling the transactions were sent to post office boxes opened by Tsiaoushis, court records show, after he presented phony documents indicating that all liens had been resolved.

Court records show that CitiFinancial of Falls Church paid more than $670,000 in a refinancing scam; Accredited Home Lenders of San Diego paid $891,000 to "buy" the house; and Wells Fargo in Alexandria lent $585,000 in a refinancing scheme. First Franklin Financial of San Jose, which made the original, legitimate mortgage on the house, is owed $588,000, court records show.

Using the same scheme, Tsiaoushis sold his house on Chadwick Avenue to a friend for $937,500 even though the bankruptcy court had ordered him not to sell it. When a title abstractor discovered the bankruptcy, Tsiaoushis provided the title company with a false order saying that his case was dismissed. Tsiaoushis, using post office boxes with the names of actual lenders, then collected more than $780,000.

Tsiaoushis agreed to make restitution for the losses, which the government said total more than $3.8 million.

All of those involved in the phony transactions are thought to be friends or business associates of Tsiaoushis, court records said. Khalil Salim Arbid was sentenced last month to 16 months in prison for his role in one of the phony transactions.

Posted by: Rettig ()
Date: March 09, 2010 02:05PM

That jackass had it coming!

Mamma's Kitchen in Hybla Valley
Posted by: Jen2 ()
Date: May 06, 2010 03:54PM

Mamma's Kitchen is a wonderful restaurant with terrific food and friendly wait staff. The neighborhood is safe enough for a single mom to take her young son and not give it a second thought. They also participate in fundraisers for our local schools and other groups. 5 STARS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tmill9 ()
Date: May 11, 2010 10:22AM

I heard that Charlie Kolas of Kolas Painting was a part owner. I also heard he is bankrupt so someting is a little screwy there.

Posted by: koqqq ()
Date: May 12, 2010 11:05AM

That sounds stupid.

Food is average, my meat was dry and bland.

If you are going to risk eating in that hood, drive through McD's

Posted by: for real do.... ()
Date: May 18, 2010 12:42AM

charlie kolas does not own any restuarant in hybla valley- he USED to own the shark club with demetry, and now co owns VASOS KITCHEN w/his sister
get ur facts straight

its interesting/comical how everyone wants to attach themselves to this restaurant

Posted by: foodcritic2 ()
Date: June 05, 2010 05:42PM

The funny thing about any of the messages that speak out against the restaurant is that it is obviously very personal. None of it is based on food quality! In this family sounds like mistakes may have been made which does nothing but make them human! LOL I say LOL because in all honesty we should be so lucky to have a family member good or bad make enough money to sustain the American Dream. As a food critic, I personally don't give a rat's tail, (excuse the pun LOL) who the owner may or may not be related to or who claims to be responsible for the pizza recipe. What I do care about is the food! Whoever is making my hamburger pie and cobb salad with everything on the side is doing a fantastic job! I have eaten there at least 5 times and have blogged and given them 4 stars in customer service and quality of the food! Unlike most I will stand behind my statements about Mama's Kitchen, Fantastic! Keep up the great work.
Ms. Miles
Food Critic
Author

Skool-ya Wrote:
> Bernie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This place is outstanding the best thing that
> has
> > happened to this area in a very long time. Mary
> > Ann the owner, is just a sweetheart and runs a
> > very fine operation. We have eaten there at
> least
> > 20 times and everytime it gets better.
> > Whoever Joh nT is who gives a crap... great
> palce
> > great familt great food. don't need much more
> than
> > that
> > Bernie
> John Andreas Tsiaoushis.

Posted by: steve22 ()
Date: June 05, 2010 11:43PM

We should arrange to have this thread removed. I drive by this place every day on my way to work. Fort Belvoir. It is always empty and would not even dare to go there. The whole little strip center was a big mistake. There is even a cell phone store besides it. Nobody goes there. Id rather go to the nasty Chinese restaurant next to the baloon store by office depot. They have this special plater with a half chicken on top that is about 3 feet long. I have never seen a half a chicken portion that is about 3 feet from tip to end. Must be some fat turkey?
No idea all for 6.00
They even have calling cards for the mexicans.

Posted by: TO ALL YOU LOSERS ()
Date: June 07, 2010 01:15AM

TO STEVE 22 (GB)

It is obvious you have personal issues regarding whoever owns the restaurant because your statements dont make sense. If you drive every day to work and pass the restaurant it is MORNING and the restaurant is closed. I've been there for lunch and can't find parking and have to go to the back if iam lucky to find a spot
and don't even bother trying to find a spot on the weekends because you won't find it and EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER PARKS ON THE GRASS.

And as far as the verizon store i bought my phone from him last week and he's doing so well he is opening another store nearby. And if you're at work all day how do you know that no ones goes in there?
And making a statement that the strip center is a mistake who the fuck are you to critize anyone that has the guts to build a shopping center in this economy and succeed but a LOSER who probably never went to college, has a crappy job and is living in their mommy's basement.

***btw*** my chiropractor fr gold gym just moved into a space in that same shopping center. There's obviously good reasons why a business person would want to set up shop in a high traffice shopping center like this one. hmmmmm

Posted by: Mt Vernon Mom ()
Date: June 08, 2010 11:02AM

Ignore all the negative comments. This restaurant is great and most of the food is home-made, not brought in frozen from suppliers. The pizza and lasagna are really good! The servers are very friendly and so is the lady owner. If it was bad, it wouldn't be busy most of the time and have so many regular customers.

Posted by: steve22 ()
Date: June 14, 2010 05:34PM

who is GB?

TO ALL YOU LOSERS Wrote:
> TO STEVE 22 (GB)
>
> It is obvious you have personal issues regarding
> whoever owns the restaurant because your
> statements dont make sense. If you drive every day
> to work and pass the restaurant it is MORNING and
> the restaurant is closed. I've been there for
> lunch and can't find parking and have to go to the
> back if iam lucky to find a spot
> and don't even bother trying to find a spot on
> the weekends because you won't find it and
> EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER PARKS ON THE GRASS.
>
> And as far as the verizon store i bought my phone
> from him last week and he's doing so well he is
> opening another store nearby. And if you're at
> work all day how do you know that no ones goes in
> there?
> And making a statement that the strip center is a
> mistake who the fuck are you to critize anyone
> that has the guts to build a shopping center in
> this economy and succeed but a LOSER who probably
> never went to college, has a crappy job and is
> living in their mommy's basement.
>
> ***btw*** my chiropractor fr gold gym just moved
> into a space in that same shopping center. There's
> obviously good reasons why a business person would
> want to set up shop in a high traffice shopping
> center like this one. hmmmmm

Posted by: eriw ()
Date: June 20, 2010 11:11PM

I have been to this place. It is ok. Nothing special.

I personally like Primos better. I also feel safer taking my children to Primos.

WHen I think of dining, I dont think of Hybla or Fordson ROad

Posted by: tjl ()
Date: June 24, 2010 04:50PM

Primo's is THE WORST ftw.

Posted by: tjl ()
Date: June 24, 2010 04:57PM

Primo's bites. Worst food - and the place stinks. That area needs a much better family style restaurant. Dishes of India is better than Primo's in the same center.

Posted by: Primo Bleech ()
Date: June 24, 2010 05:01PM

vicky t Wrote:
> I have gone to this joint.
>
> It does not compare to primos in Bell Haven
>
> Its onpar with a 7-11 gyro

Uh - I'd rather eat Chef Boyardee than the crap at Primo's. How friggin hard is it to make french fries. Or gyros. Or pasta. Or pizza with sauce that isn't burnt. Etc. Can't wait til they go out of business so a new place can open up.

Posted by: Yiola ()
Date: June 28, 2010 11:01AM

Aandreas' was way better!

Date: July 08, 2010 04:26PM

Can't this family do other things rather than running restaurants?

Posted by: Curious1 ()
Date: July 16, 2010 10:01PM

Who is this GB you people are referring to?

Posted by: Do Tell ()
Date: July 21, 2010 10:57AM

Yeah, please let us know.

Posted by: Bacon ()
Date: July 21, 2010 11:55AM

Has it been shut down yet?

Posted by: tmill9 ()
Date: July 21, 2010 12:36PM

I said I heard - didn't state it as a fact - So sue me!

for real do.... Wrote:
> charlie kolas does not own any restuarant in hybla
> valley- he USED to own the shark club with
> demetry, and now co owns VASOS KITCHEN w/his
> sister
> get ur facts straight
>
> its interesting/comical how everyone wants to
> attach themselves to this restaurant

Posted by: Strati ()
Date: July 23, 2010 05:04PM

TO ALL YOU LOSERS Wrote:
> TO STEVE 22 (GB)
>
> It is obvious you have personal issues regarding
> whoever owns the restaurant because your
> statements dont make sense. If you drive every day
> to work and pass the restaurant it is MORNING and
> the restaurant is closed. I've been there for
> lunch and can't find parking and have to go to the
> back if iam lucky to find a spot
> and don't even bother trying to find a spot on
> the weekends because you won't find it and
> EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER PARKS ON THE GRASS.
>
> And as far as the verizon store i bought my phone
> from him last week and he's doing so well he is
> opening another store nearby. And if you're at
> work all day how do you know that no ones goes in
> there?
> And making a statement that the strip center is a
> mistake who the fuck are you to critize anyone
> that has the guts to build a shopping center in
> this economy and succeed but a LOSER who probably
> never went to college, has a crappy job and is
> living in their mommy's basement.
>
> ***btw*** my chiropractor fr gold gym just moved
> into a space in that same shopping center. There's
> obviously good reasons why a business person would
> want to set up shop in a high traffice shopping
> center like this one. hmmmmm
He was part owner or the Centerville Shark Club a long long time ago! Charlie's a great guy!

Posted by: the REAL George Christopher Bursenos ()
Date: August 07, 2010 05:02PM

GET MY NAME AND INITIALS OFF OF THIS SITE BEFORE I AIR OUT EVERYONES DIRTY LAUNDRY!

George Christopher Bursenos
yea its me, so why dont you call and cry to my mom or threaten her again.

GET A LIFE

Posted by: Delivery Please ()
Date: August 10, 2010 04:49PM

This place has some of the best Pizza EVER!!!! Nothing like sittind down to their pizza and a bottle of wine..

If this place would deliver, they would basically be printing their own money... Best I've had in the DC area..

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: August 11, 2010 08:24AM

I've eaten there a few times. I don't know any of the individuals involved or mentioned previously so this is a totally unbiased review.

The location is ok, not great, parking is not a problem, there's plenty around back if needed.

The decor and ambiance is pleasant, and the wait staff is very courteous. I went there twice, once ate in and once take out. The service when I ate in was fine, it wasn't very crowded as I went for a late lunch during a weekday. But, they were conscientious without being too intrusive. The time I had carry out was a Sunday evening and since I had not called in ahead of time I had to wait about 15 minutes. The staff was again very courteous and offered me iced tea while I waited.

The food is just ok, not terrible but definately not great. The first time I went I got a steak sandwich and it had too much grease on it, I think the fries are frozen (although I'm not all that knowledgeable). I have to say I haven't tried the pizza and I love pizza so maybe I should give that a try.

The value was fair, it's not a steal by any means but not exhorbitant either. So all-in-all, on a scale of 10 I'd give it a 5. I wouldn't refuse to ever go there again but it wouldnt be my first choice either. Now, to me, and this was mentioned earlier, not being one of the chains that proliferate Rt. 1, I'd choose it in a heartbeat over one of them.

One final criticism and this is intended to be constructive, I think they could do a better job of daily and periodic cleanin. For example, when I was waiting for carry out I noticed the floors needed to be cleaned. But maybe that's just me.

Posted by: SallyO ()
Date: December 19, 2010 10:49PM

Went there this weekend and the food was really good. People are not giving this place credit.

Posted by: eWT ()
Date: December 19, 2010 11:23PM

Any hot chicks???

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:02PM

After reading all this are these the same people in the 70's that owned Andreas? It was located at the corner where 5 guys is located now. Also remember Mikes down the street. I liked to old owners and the little juke boxes on the walls. They had the best spaghetti.

Posted by: oldMike'svsNewMikes ()
Date: December 21, 2010 05:22AM

Mikes used to be a great hang out for kids in th 70's. We had more fun there after football games. Sometime in the 80's it was sold. Now the place has white table clothes and high prices. Havent been to the place in 20 years. But think about how is used to be.

Posted by: Carrie ()
Date: December 22, 2010 09:10PM

I remember Mikes. I LOVED it. The best pizza and spaghetti. We went there after every football game. Daily lunch specials .99. The older lady was very nice and loved her accient.

Posted by: give me Mikes ()
Date: December 23, 2010 09:15PM

Give me Mikes anyday. Want to see another restaurant like that again.

Posted by: Frozen Food ()
Date: November 19, 2011 11:50PM

Does John own it alone or with partners?

Posted by: Alec Choochoo ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:13PM

How can this loser own anything on his own? He's always been and will always be broke.

Posted by: BLATZ ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:51PM

Has anyone seen him working there?

How is the food?

Posted by: 8111 ()
Date: November 26, 2011 11:25AM

what type of work? Dish washer?

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.