HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: FCPS Budget cuts
Posted by: Empty pockets ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:25AM

Part of the problem is the FCPS system keeps telling everyone Fairfax is the best school system in the world, when in reality its not even close. They use this to fleece taxpayers by claiming we need to raise taxes up and up to keep the best system going.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: how will it end ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:44AM

Empty pockets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Part of the problem is the FCPS system keeps
> telling everyone Fairfax is the best school system
> in the world, when in reality its not even close.
> They use this to fleece taxpayers by claiming we
> need to raise taxes up and up to keep the best
> system going.

AS the county steps up the number of ESOL classrooms, everyone else will be packed tighter into other classes. As those scores decline, what will the excuses be?.....If you tell a big lie enough times, people will accept it.

Posted by: waiver ()
Date: November 04, 2013 10:19AM

SpeedFx187 Wrote:
> rrt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I heard that one of the money saving ideas
> being
> > floated is doing away with the road mechanics
> that
> > go out and try to get the dilapidated school
> buses
> > running again after they crap out (dozens every
> > day). They are usually successful at patching
> > them up enough to be driven away.
> >
> > If they do it, get used to seeing junk buses
> > sitting around wherever they died until the tow
> > truck contractor gets around to hauling them
> away.
>
>
>
> School bus costs about 100K each. FCPS has
> 136,715 bus riders. If FCPS charged a $2/mth. or
> $20/school year fee for bus maintainence or
> purchase of new buses, then that would be $273,430
> a month and $2.734 million a school year. That's
> enough to buy 27 brand new buses a year. WITH
> JUST TWO DOLLARS!
>
> FCPS have 1,534 buses! Each bus lasts 10 years!
> 27 new buses each year should be enough to run a
> continuous lifecycle. If not, double the amount
> to $4-5 a month per child, and it's
> self-sufficient.
>
> Parents can opt out of paying it by driving their
> child to school.
>
> My work study proposal is getting better and
> sweeter!

the same families who get waived out of all the other fees would get waived out of the bus fee, these are the same people who get the free lunches and everything else.

the parents who support the school system would be paying the bus fee in addition to the graduation fee, the sports fee, the music fee, the prom fee, the lunch fee, the deca fee, the newspaper subscription fee, the yearbook fee, and all the fundraisers that go with the extra activities.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: November 04, 2013 11:06AM

Which drives home a point I have been arguing for years. When schools adopt fees, they should apply to EVERYONE. These fees are in theory set based on the cost of the program, not the student or student's family's ability to pay. If ability to pay is going to be factored in, then the costs should actually be allocated based on ability to pay. Instead we have a system with an arbitrary cutoff where if you fall below it you pay nothing but if you are above it you pay full freight.

Posted by: Please enlighten me ()
Date: November 04, 2013 12:00PM

What exactly is the GATEHOUSE Admin Center and what do they do?

Posted by: SpeedFx187 ()
Date: November 04, 2013 12:18PM

waiver Wrote:

>
>
> the same families who get waived out of all the
> other fees would get waived out of the bus fee,
> these are the same people who get the free lunches
> and everything else.
>
> the parents who support the school system would be
> paying the bus fee in addition to the graduation
> fee, the sports fee, the music fee, the prom fee,
> the lunch fee, the deca fee, the newspaper
> subscription fee, the yearbook fee, and all the
> fundraisers that go with the extra activities.

If those parents can't pay the fees, then their child works for it through a Work Study program. If the parent refuses to put their child in a Work Study program, or the child is in a Work Study program and refuses to work, then the cost gets shifted back to the parents. If the parents don't pay the fee, then the county puts a tax lien on their car or home!

If they can't pay the tax lien on their home, then they get kicked out of their home, and they will inevitably feel forced to move to a different county.

Too simple!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 12:20PM by SpeedFx187.

Date: November 04, 2013 12:30PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Which drives home a point I have been arguing for
> years. When schools adopt fees, they should apply
> to EVERYONE. These fees are in theory set based
> on the cost of the program, not the student or
> student's family's ability to pay. If ability to
> pay is going to be factored in, then the costs
> should actually be allocated based on ability to
> pay. Instead we have a system with an arbitrary
> cutoff where if you fall below it you pay nothing
> but if you are above it you pay full freight.

I think fees for buses, infrastructure, and similar fees should be evenly allocated.

Fees for after-school programs, or classes that aren't part of the core curriculum like music, should only be paid by the students who use them. Take the total cost of ALL after-school programs, then divide them by the number of students that participate, and the cost per student is somewhere between $100-$150. If say.. the football team wants to raise money to create a DiSCOUNT on thsoe fees, then the school can discount the $100-$150 per student for their program. All other after-school programs have the same option.

Businesses and non-profits can make donations to after-sports programs, and other things to help allieviate the fees.

There's plenty of ways to finance the fees. But anything that's not part of core curriculum should be paid for.

The total cost for public school in FCPS is over 14K per student. The fees would make up less than 5% of the total cost. The taxpayer is still footing about 95% of the school costs.

Posted by: yes ()
Date: November 04, 2013 12:46PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Which drives home a point I have been arguing for
> years. When schools adopt fees, they should apply
> to EVERYONE. These fees are in theory set based
> on the cost of the program, not the student or
> student's family's ability to pay. If ability to
> pay is going to be factored in, then the costs
> should actually be allocated based on ability to
> pay. Instead we have a system with an arbitrary
> cutoff where if you fall below it you pay nothing
> but if you are above it you pay full freight.

yes, this is how it should be, but it isn't!

more people arrive, they bring other family members, the county doesn't cut any of the services off, the remaining continue to pay to sustain the system.

Posted by: hammerhead10 ()
Date: November 04, 2013 12:49PM

Very interesting to listen to some of you who obviously don't know jack about education and what it takes to run a successful school system yammer on here.

You want to start with cutting something unnecessary? Why don't you start with cutting all day kindergarten? The rest of us have to pay to find and pay for people to watch our kids, why should anybody, you included, get free day care because you pay a pittance for it with your tax dollars? Wtf? FCPS provided several studies that show a majority of kids aren't mature enough for all day kindergarten but, the people who had to have free daycare won out on that one.

Secondly, look at all of the contracts where money is being spent on hardware, particularly technology related hardware and, if they're not competitive, get them out for re-bid. There is easily tens of millions of dollars of waste right there. Shake down purchasing and demand better contracts.

Stop with the politics and the bagger rantings and witch hunt shutdown mentality of school board members like Ms. Schultz and we can get somewhere. The fact that politics is running the show in education is bullshit. See no child left behind if you need hard evidence of this.

Posted by: Teacher ()
Date: November 04, 2013 12:54PM

I have been a high school teacher in FCPS for many years. I admit there are some problems with education right now.
1. The worst problem is the people complaining (who have never taught in a classroom) about education which leads to people in management (who have never taught in a classroom) coming up with new programs to force on teachers. This leads to low teacher moral.
2. An atmosphere of entitlement. Kids can get away with anything and they know it. Its a rude awakening when they get to college or get a job and have to be responsible.
3. Parents using the special education program as a crutch. Many of the kids in special ed shouldn't be there. Parents need to take responsibility for their child's education. Kids with Dyslexia need help, lazy kids need their parents to step up.

Posted by: Notta Teacher ()
Date: November 04, 2013 01:19PM

Teacher Wrote:
> I have been a high school teacher in FCPS for many
> years. I admit there are some problems with
> education right now.
> 1. The worst problem is the people complaining
> (who have never taught in a classroom) about
> education which leads to people in management (who
> have never taught in a classroom) coming up with
> new programs to force on teachers. This leads to
> low teacher moral.
> 2. An atmosphere of entitlement. Kids can get away
> with anything and they know it. Its a rude
> awakening when they get to college or get a job
> and have to be responsible.
> 3. Parents using the special education program as
> a crutch. Many of the kids in special ed shouldn't
> be there. Parents need to take responsibility for
> their child's education. Kids with Dyslexia need
> help, lazy kids need their parents to step up.

I'd agree with all of that other than somewhat with the first.

Actually, that's most of what people outside complain about - all of the other programs and initiatives beyond just simply educating the damn kids. It may be represented as a response to public pressures, but most of that comes from inside the education community. In particular, certain parts of it which have vested economic and other interests in promoting such things.

Posted by: SerousTaxPayer ()
Date: November 04, 2013 01:54PM

Job opening Wrote:
> SpeedFx187 I with FCPS would offer you a job.
> Then take on each school one at a time to clean up
> the mess in the schools with each school
> administration. The waste that goes on. The lazy
> teachers and office support. I think each school
> only has about 2 people who really ca in the
> offices. Maybe there is to much stress or they are
> not paid enough to put up with the parents. The
> school where my kids go there is only one person
> who is willing to help all the others just pass
> you along. Every parent I know goes to this one
> lady when there'd are at least 10 office workers.
> I jut think the moral at the school level is very
> low. How is it when you go to your child's
> school?

I know of a school where there is a secretary who is getting paid to work from home! Hasn't been in the school in over a year but still gets paid.

Date: November 04, 2013 02:26PM

One thing we know that will happen is that no matter how much you cut FCPS and it's services, the anti-tax shrieks will still complain about what they perceive they are getting or not getting in return. You have one of the top school districts in the nation here, it's part of what makes Fairfax County a desirable place to live. Cut in the wrong places and you run the risk of getting to a second rate school system very quickly. The tea party tool throwing people's names and salaries against the wall and then going on and on about how undeserving he thinks they are has absolutely no idea what these people do, he's your typical tea party type who desires that everyone be down mucking around in the mud with him and this is what makes the tea party such a laughing stock...They are mostly uninformed people, who wish they were doing better, doing the bidding of billionaires who are laughing at how easy it is to get somebody else to run a smokescreen for billionaires. AMAZING!

Aside from that, yes, cuts need to be made. Look at spending, look at contracts and get rid of every conceivable bit of waste that exists there before cutting bodies and I agree that all positions, with the exception of teachers and their aides who are continually under this type of assessment scrutiny, need to be assessed in a manner of, "What do you do for kids, and what value do you bring to the bottom line." It's as simple as that. To point to a person's job title and salary and make idiotic commentary about them and their position when you have no idea what they do is exactly the reason that the tea party has ZERO credibility.

Posted by: fools ()
Date: November 04, 2013 02:49PM

While I agree that 90% of the Gatehouse slackers should be canned, I have to laugh at people that think a high school principal is overpaid at $130 grand.

They manage hundreds of employees and thousands of students and have to toe the line with Gatehouse's bullshit. They are underpaid.

Yet, nobody bats an eye at all the IT geniuses pulling down that money, and more overseeing chronically fucked up computer networks that are hacked by ten year olds within hours of the implementation of their latest and greatest "security measures".

Date: November 04, 2013 03:06PM

Fools blathered:

While I agree that 90% of the Gatehouse slackers should be canned, I have to laugh at people that think a high school principal is overpaid at $130 grand.

They manage hundreds of employees and thousands of students and have to toe the line with Gatehouse's bullshit. They are underpaid.

Yet, nobody bats an eye at all the IT geniuses pulling down that money, and more overseeing chronically fucked up computer networks that are hacked by ten year olds within hours of the implementation of their latest and greatest "security measures".

It's pretty clear that you're one of the "clueless" that I was referring to. I would venture to guess that you know nothing about the FCPS computer network. The incident you're referring to was not a hacking incident at all, administrative privileges were mistakenly provided to the student via a vendor login portal. You might be one of those folks who doesn't believe the Post, unless, of course, they're providing you with a blanket for your broad, sweeping generalizations.

How about some examples of "chronically eff'd up FCPS computer networks" that you mention? Do you have any? Do you have any idea just how large the FCPS computer network is? If you would like to be taken seriously, please expound on those questions with details or you can cut the innuendo at any time.

I agree with your comments on Principals but, that's a no brainer. I'm willing to bet you have little, if any knowledge with regard to FCPS IT or their computer networking as a whole I mean, outside of your point that you believe that everybody who works their is overpaid, and, that's an opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 03:56PM by hammerhead10.

Posted by: whine ()
Date: November 04, 2013 04:17PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> Fools blathered:
> -----
>
> While I agree that 90% of the Gatehouse slackers
> should be canned, I have to laugh at people that
> think a high school principal is overpaid at $130
> grand.
>
> They manage hundreds of employees and thousands of
> students and have to toe the line with Gatehouse's
> bullshit. They are underpaid.
>
> Yet, nobody bats an eye at all the IT geniuses
> pulling down that money, and more overseeing
> chronically fucked up computer networks that are
> hacked by ten year olds within hours of the
> implementation of their latest and greatest
> "security measures".
>
>
>
>
>
> It's pretty clear that you're one of the
> "clueless" that I was referring to. I would
> venture to guess that you know nothing about the
> FCPS computer network. The incident you're
> referring to was not a hacking incident at all,
> administrative privileges were mistakenly provided
> to the student via a vendor login portal. You
> might be one of those folks who doesn't believe
> the Post, unless, of course, they're providing you
> with a blanket for your broad, sweeping
> generalizations.
>
> How about some examples of "chronically eff'd up
> FCPS computer networks" that you mention? Do you
> have any? Do you have any idea just how large the
> FCPS computer network is? If you would like to be
> taken seriously, please expound on those questions
> with details or you can cut the innuendo at any
> time.
>
> I agree with your comments on Principals but,
> that's a no brainer. I'm willing to bet you have
> little, if any knowledge with regard to FCPS IT or
> their computer networking as a whole I mean,
> outside of your point that you believe that
> everybody who works their is overpaid, and, that's
> an opinion.

parents didn't ask for the IT network, many of us don't enjoy sticking our eyeballs into a machine for ID when we pick up a kid, many of us don't know how to log onto blackboard, many of us email teachers when our kids passwords don't work for the online work.

we didn't ask for full day kindergarten either but half day was a waste of time when they had early out on Monday. kids would go in at 9, go to lunch, come out at 11. who scheduled that?

Posted by: hear of these? ()
Date: November 04, 2013 04:44PM

So what's up with these principals conferences in Boston, Chicago etc.? Are all the conference rooms at Gatehouse and similar school facilities booked ?.
I would love to see the tab for those.

Date: November 04, 2013 04:44PM

Um, you don't think that the ID requirements have anything to do with the number of kooks running around these days? The number of people armed to the teeth and carrying in the state of Virginia just because they can? Granted, the overwhelming majority of those people are law abiding citizens but, it only takes a few who mean to do harm to do the damage. I venture to say that you would have something to say about it if your child was released into the custody of an unauthorized stranger. Am I wrong about this?

The IT Network serves to benefit kids on a daily basis in a modern learning environment. FCPS requires a robust, modern computer network that can stream educational video for learning and that can handle the demands of collaborative software systems that help streamline communication and create cost efficiency between 180,000 students and teachers and 23,000 teachers and staff. I have indicated in my other post that contracts and spending should be the first things addressed. That is fact given the shortfall. What bothers me is the number of people on threads, like this one, who are making broad generalizations about things that should be cut when they're viewing it as nothing more than a "hunting expedition."

I was at the school board meetings when the board had to acquiesce to the all day kindergarten cabal. The system had to divert funds and cut positions in order to pay for other people's kids day care. As far as getting out at 1:30 one day a week, I have 3 kids who went through the same process and I NEVER expected the county to pick up the tab for my kids day care because I gave them a little bit of tax money. That responsibility was mine.

I've never seen a computer network where people didn't forget their passwords or, in some cases, usernames. I would be shocked if there is not a way to retrieve that info via email request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 04:52PM by hammerhead10.

Posted by: fools ()
Date: November 04, 2013 05:08PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> Fools blathered:
> -----
>
> While I agree that 90% of the Gatehouse slackers
> should be canned, I have to laugh at people that
> think a high school principal is overpaid at $130
> grand.
>
> They manage hundreds of employees and thousands of
> students and have to toe the line with Gatehouse's
> bullshit. They are underpaid.
>
> Yet, nobody bats an eye at all the IT geniuses
> pulling down that money, and more overseeing
> chronically fucked up computer networks that are
> hacked by ten year olds within hours of the
> implementation of their latest and greatest
> "security measures".
>
>
>
>
>
> It's pretty clear that you're one of the
> "clueless" that I was referring to. I would
> venture to guess that you know nothing about the
> FCPS computer network. The incident you're
> referring to was not a hacking incident at all,
> administrative privileges were mistakenly provided
> to the student via a vendor login portal. You
> might be one of those folks who doesn't believe
> the Post, unless, of course, they're providing you
> with a blanket for your broad, sweeping
> generalizations.
>
> How about some examples of "chronically eff'd up
> FCPS computer networks" that you mention? Do you
> have any? Do you have any idea just how large the
> FCPS computer network is? If you would like to be
> taken seriously, please expound on those questions
> with details or you can cut the innuendo at any
> time.
>
> I agree with your comments on Principals but,
> that's a no brainer. I'm willing to bet you have
> little, if any knowledge with regard to FCPS IT or
> their computer networking as a whole I mean,
> outside of your point that you believe that
> everybody who works their is overpaid, and, that's
> an opinion.

I never mentioned FCPS's computer network. I know zero about the FCPS network, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is fucked up.

I was speaking about fucked up computer networks in general and the geniuses who run them. These geniuses undoubtedly would tell you that their six figure incomes are completely justified, while a high school principal's is not.

Date: November 04, 2013 05:25PM

It's not the fault of the person who invests time, effort, and money into their careers when they land a good job that pays them what they're worth. That's called, having a plan and working it. Matter of fact, anybody who doesn't leverage their skill set and experience in order to get the compensation that they deserve is a fool.

Date: November 04, 2013 05:35PM

Teacher Wrote:
> I have been a high school teacher in FCPS for many
> years. I admit there are some problems with
> education right now.
> 1. The worst problem is the people complaining
> (who have never taught in a classroom) about
> education which leads to people in management (who
> have never taught in a classroom) coming up with
> new programs to force on teachers. This leads to
> low teacher moral.
> 2. An atmosphere of entitlement. Kids can get away
> with anything and they know it. Its a rude
> awakening when they get to college or get a job
> and have to be responsible.
> 3. Parents using the special education program as
> a crutch. Many of the kids in special ed shouldn't
> be there. Parents need to take responsibility for
> their child's education. Kids with Dyslexia need
> help, lazy kids need their parents to step up.

YOUR FIRST POINT: I agree, and much of that comes from government bureaucrats at the state and federal government. The FCPS mega-administrative bureaucracy is just an extension of that.

The first phase is to get the federal government out of education. The US Dept. of Educatoin can be abolished with all Federal education funding block granted to the states to use as they see fit. THEN, we'd have 50 incubators of innovation in each state.

The second phase is to get the state regulations to an absolute minimum so more power and decision making can be done at the federal level.

The third phase is to streamline the FCPS mega-administrative bureaucracy. Much of this can be achieved during and after phases 1 and 2; since many of those positions exist mainly to "advise" and "supervise" on behalf of the federal and state government regulations and compliance.

---------------------

YOUR SECOND POINT: My work study program idea will mitigate and remedy the atmosophere of entitlement and dependency you're talking about. Scroll up and read my previous posts where it's described in a good level of detail.

--------------------

YOUR THIRD POINT: Children being mislabeled as special-ed is a widespread problem. I'm still researching and learning about this problem. PART of it has to do with the fact that schools get more state and federal government money for special education programs. This causes an economic incentive to label kids special-ed. The school gets more money, and the teachers in the regular classroom don't have to deal with someone's parenting falure.

Date: November 04, 2013 05:48PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> One thing we know that will happen is that no
> matter how much you cut FCPS and it's services,
> the anti-tax shrieks will still complain about
> what they perceive they are getting or not getting
> in return. You have one of the top school
> districts in the nation here, it's part of what
> makes Fairfax County a desirable place to live.
> Cut in the wrong places and you run the risk of
> getting to a second rate school system very
> quickly. The tea party tool throwing people's
> names and salaries against the wall and then going
> on and on about how undeserving he thinks they are
> has absolutely no idea what these people do, he's
> your typical tea party type who desires that
> everyone be down mucking around in the mud with
> him and this is what makes the tea party such a
> laughing stock...They are mostly uninformed
> people, who wish they were doing better, doing the
> bidding of billionaires who are laughing at how
> easy it is to get somebody else to run a
> smokescreen for billionaires. AMAZING!
>
> Aside from that, yes, cuts need to be made. Look
> at spending, look at contracts and get rid of
> every conceivable bit of waste that exists there
> before cutting bodies and I agree that all
> positions, with the exception of teachers and
> their aides who are continually under this type of
> assessment scrutiny, need to be assessed in a
> manner of, "What do you do for kids, and what
> value do you bring to the bottom line." It's as
> simple as that. To point to a person's job title
> and salary and make idiotic commentary about them
> and their position when you have no idea what they
> do is exactly the reason that the tea party has
> ZERO credibility.

Whoever this "tea party tool" who's posting personal salaries. they probably work inside FCPS.. lmfao

Where else would someone get a hold of personal salary information?

I don't think that's listed anywhere public. I know teacher's pay scale is public. Teacher's pay and benefits in the AGGREGATE are posted in FCPS budget reports. But I've been up and down FCPS website and haven't seen personal salary data with teacher's indentities.

Sounds like FCPS got WIKILEAKED.. lol

-------------------

I agree that most of the ranting about those salaries are underserved.. With the only possible exception being those "Gatehouse" jobs with 6-figure salaries.. I'm not prepared to say they are overpaid right now. My biggest question is "What the hell do they do?" Same question as most people on here.. And if you're talking about Gatehouse jobs, then you're right, I really don't know what they do.. But I'm also not ready to judge them because of it.

I'm still researching FCPS about what these Gatehouse people do. If I can't find detailed info, then that's a fair question to ask at a public meeting at the school board.

------------

I agree with cutting teacher's salaries not being an option. I think that's a big difference between me, and many of the "anti-tax shrieks" like me that posted on here. I believe in protecting teachers, anyone else who deals directly with children, and the CORE CURRICULUM. I define core curriculum as anything that's tested on the Virginia SOL, some foreign langugage training, and AP classes. EVERYTHING else is fair game to cut.

Transportation costs, Infrastructure costs, any class not part of the core curriculum as defined above, and all after-school programs can be financed wholly or partially with FEES to the parents.

----------

Also, I'm in taking college classes to become a public school math teacher.. So I'm not just some "anti-tax shriek" who's just talking trash about education. But many other people on here could possibly be.. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 05:52PM by SpeedFx187.

Date: November 04, 2013 05:58PM

Giving any unnecessary power to the wacky states is a BAD idea. Conservatives have been trying to kill the Department of Education FOREVER. Gov. McDonnell cut education budgets to the bone in Virginia to show a little bit of black on his bottom line, I'm just glad we didn't allow him to gut the state's general fund for his ill thought out ABC privatization scheme. Cutting at the expense of education only pays short term dividends. I notice how little regard conservatives give to education, particularly public education, and that is troubling enough in and of itself, I'll take checks and balances on the states any day.

We would all be a lot better off if educators were not handcuffed by that hair brained, no child left behind piece of legislative dreck.

Date: November 04, 2013 06:01PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> Giving any unnecessary power to the wacky states
> is a BAD idea. Conservatives have been trying to
> kill the Department of Education FOREVER. Gov.
> McDonnell cut education budgets to the bone in
> Virginia to show a little bit of black on his
> bottom line, I'm just glad we didn't allow him to
> gut the state's general fund for his ill thought
> out ABC privatization scheme. Cutting at the
> expense of education only pays short term
> dividends. I notice how little regard
> conservatives give to education, particularly
> public education, and that is troubling enough in
> and of itself, I'll take checks and balances on
> the states any day.
>
> We would all be a lot better off if educators were
> not handcuffed by that hair brained, no child left
> behind piece of legislative dreck.

Government control at both Federal and State is a problem. The Federal Gov. gave us No Child Left behind which was a BI-PARTISAN bill.

The state government of VA gave you the problems you just mentioned.

The more local the control is, and the more independant and self-reliance the local government instills in its citizens, the better..

Date: November 04, 2013 06:07PM

SpeedFx187 wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm in taking college classes to become a public school math teacher.. So I'm not just some "anti-tax shriek" who's just talking trash about education. But many other people on here could possibly be.. lol

Good for you on the taking classes to become a math teacher. Sure you want to do that? Many who post here think that you're lazy and overpaid even though you will more than likely work 10 hour days and, if you coach, that will probably be 12-14 hour days. It's a great profession but, do you really want uninformed idiots pointing to you day in and day out as, "the problem," when they ignore the fleecing they're getting from big banks and Wall St? Yeah, meet the tea party. If you haven't noticed any of their rantings here, you haven't been looking hard enough.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 06:08PM by hammerhead10.

Date: November 04, 2013 06:14PM

Yeah, repeal of glass steagall was bi-partisan too and the rest is history, that didn't make it right. Dems, unfortunately, are much more willing to come to bi-partisan terms than republicans are and that hasn't worked well for them as they end up sharing blame for the screw ups.

Posted by: Kirk. ()
Date: November 04, 2013 06:19PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> One thing we know that will happen is that no
> matter how much you cut FCPS and it's services,
> the anti-tax shrieks will still complain about
> what they perceive they are getting or not getting
> in return.

How about being a little more cautious about the spending going on. Unless you believe there is zero waste in the school system. If times are as tight as the FCPS wants us to believe all the more reason to spend the dollars wisely.

Date: November 04, 2013 06:21PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> SpeedFx187 wrote:
>
> --------------
>
> Also, I'm in taking college classes to become a
> public school math teacher.. So I'm not just some
> "anti-tax shriek" who's just talking trash about
> education. But many other people on here could
> possibly be.. lol
>
>
>
> Good for you on the taking classes to become a
> math teacher. Sure you want to do that? Many who
> post here think that you're lazy and overpaid even
> though you will more than likely work 10 hour days
> and, if you coach, that will probably be 12-14
> hour days. It's a great profession but, do you
> really want uninformed idiots pointing to you day
> in and day out as, "the problem," when they ignore
> the fleecing they're getting from big banks and
> Wall St? Yeah, meet the tea party. If you haven't
> noticed any of their rantings here, you haven't
> been looking hard enough.
>
> I wish you the best in your endeavors.

I'm pretty sure I want to do that, for at least 5 years, then later either run for school board, or do secondary education research at a university (or both).

I have no interest in becoming an athletic coach. I'd rather invest those extra hours in after-school programs to help kids with the subjects I teach. There's a greater need for after-school programs that help kids perform better acadmically.

Virtually NOBODY cares how good an athlete someone was in high school after they graduate. Few kids get athletic scholarships, end even fewer play sports professionally. I was a Cross Country and Track champion in my high school days and none of my employers cared after I graduated high school. My name is on the Hall of Fame in my high schoo's gym and nobody cares; and they shouldn't. The only thing employers care about is "What have you done lately that's made me money?"

In terms of weak parents who want to make excuses for their kids... I'm not afraid to tell a parent to their face what they need to hear, instead of what they want to hear. The more I help kids after-school with learning, the more clout and protection I should have when I tell a few parents what they NEED to hear.. (I hope)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 06:24PM by SpeedFx187.

Posted by: how ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:05PM

SpeedFx187 Wrote:
> waiver Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> >
> > the same families who get waived out of all the
> > other fees would get waived out of the bus fee,
> > these are the same people who get the free
> lunches
> > and everything else.
> >
> > the parents who support the school system would
> be
> > paying the bus fee in addition to the
> graduation
> > fee, the sports fee, the music fee, the prom
> fee,
> > the lunch fee, the deca fee, the newspaper
> > subscription fee, the yearbook fee, and all the
> > fundraisers that go with the extra activities.
>
> If those parents can't pay the fees, then their
> child works for it through a Work Study program.
> If the parent refuses to put their child in a Work
> Study program, or the child is in a Work Study
> program and refuses to work, then the cost gets
> shifted back to the parents. If the parents don't
> pay the fee, then the county puts a tax lien on
> their car or home!
>
> If they can't pay the tax lien on their home, then
> they get kicked out of their home, and they will
> inevitably feel forced to move to a different
> county.
>
> Too simple!

how are you going to put a lien on an apt rental? do apartment owners pay real estate taxes? how can you put a lien on the homeless? how do you put a lien on a family reliant on public transportation? these are the people coming in by the droves and draining the system. they can't pay for anything school related, they don't pay taxes, they can't afford food, they need special assistance in schools and we are required to give it to them under no child left behind.

Date: November 04, 2013 07:11PM

how Wrote:

>
> how are you going to put a lien on an apt rental?
> do apartment owners pay real estate taxes? how
> can you put a lien on the homeless? how do you put
> a lien on a family reliant on public
> transportation? these are the people coming in by
> the droves and draining the system. they can't
> pay for anything school related, they don't pay
> taxes, they can't afford food, they need special
> assistance in schools and we are required to give
> it to them under no child left behind.

If they have a car, then I believe you can put a lien on that. (I think?)

If push comes to shove, whatever government agencies offering assistance can help pay the fees (possibly?)

Exactly how many poor people are there in Fairfax? Are they really bleeding the system dry as much as many claim? I would be interested to see some hard economic data about this for Fairfax County. Poor students at FCPS cannot be more than 5-10% of the FCPS student population if I was a betting man.

I do agree that this is a problem with my work study idea, and charging fees for transportation, infrastructure costs (possibly?), non-essential classes, and after-school activities.

No idea is perfect,,

Gosh.. leave it to the "What about a homeless family in Fairfax County that's living under a bridge with 10 kids?" rebuttal to shoot down my great idea.. LMFAO

Even if Fairfax County rounded up all the poor people, and stuck them in concentration camps, we still wouldn't save enough money to plug the $140 million deficit FCPS is facing..

I just researched on Google.. As of 2009, 5.6% on the Fairfax Population lives in poverty. There's 1.1 million people in Fairfax County.. so 5.6% is 61,600 people (http://www.city-data.com/county/Fairfax_County-VA.html)

I still believe my idea is a step in the right direction.

The tax payer will have to bite the bullet and pay for poor students. They are "entitled" to an education. I don't think there's anything in the law that says they're entitled to do after-school sports and music. So fees for those costs can hold no matter what.

Tax payer will still prevent their taxes getting raised by FCPS charging fees for everyone who isn't poor. A poor person will get a "transportaion fee", then turn in their "Transportation Ration" or "Transportation Stamp", and the Fairfax County taxpayer will foot the bill... damn!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 07:54PM by SpeedFx187.

Posted by: conservatives ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:16PM

SpeedFx187 Wrote:
> hammerhead10 Wrote:
> -----
> > Giving any unnecessary power to the wacky
> states
> > is a BAD idea. Conservatives have been trying
> to
> > kill the Department of Education FOREVER. Gov.
> > McDonnell cut education budgets to the bone in
> > Virginia to show a little bit of black on his
> > bottom line, I'm just glad we didn't allow him
> to
> > gut the state's general fund for his ill
> thought
> > out ABC privatization scheme. Cutting at the
> > expense of education only pays short term
> > dividends. I notice how little regard
> > conservatives give to education, particularly
> > public education, and that is troubling enough
> in
> > and of itself, I'll take checks and balances on
> > the states any day.
> >
> > We would all be a lot better off if educators
> were
> > not handcuffed by that hair brained, no child
> left
> > behind piece of legislative dreck.
>
>
> Government control at both Federal and State is a
> problem. The Federal Gov. gave us No Child Left
> behind which was a BI-PARTISAN bill.
>
> The state government of VA gave you the problems
> you just mentioned.
>
> The more local the control is, and the more
> independant and self-reliance the local government
> instills in its citizens, the better..

conservatives don't care about public education because they were either home schooled or sent to private schools where they honed their ignorance by staying with white upper class folk like themselves. too bad none of them went to med school, seeing how little they know about women's reproductive health. guess private education didn't teach FLE.

Date: November 04, 2013 07:20PM

conservatives Wrote:

> conservatives don't care about public education
> because they were either home schooled or sent to
> private schools where they honed their ignorance
> by staying with white upper class folk like
> themselves. too bad none of them went to med
> school, seeing how little they know about women's
> reproductive health. guess private education
> didn't teach FLE.

Do you have a survey or reasearch to prove that? I bet on my life that most registered Republicans were educated in a public school... I also bet on my life that most registered Republicans with a college degree attended a public college where their tuition was taxpayer subsidized. I also bet that many registered Republicans who went to college took out a government Stafford loan with a taxpayer subsidized interest rate that's much lower than the market. Sallie Mae charges the market rate for interest that's much higher.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 10:52PM by SpeedFx187.

Date: November 04, 2013 08:49PM

Here's a new article covering a report from an efficiency expert that FCPS hired:

Review seeks efficiencies in Fairfax schools
Report recommends centralizing supervision of custodial staff
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130925/NEWS/130929359/1117/review-seeks-efficiencies-in-fairfax-schools&template=fairfaxTimes

With some upfront investments, Fairfax County Public Schools could save about $10 million over the next five years if it makes some adjustments to its business practices, according to a state-sponsored efficiency review of the school system.

The results of the efficiency review, which has been in the works for more than two years, were presented to the Fairfax County School Board on Tuesday.

In the context of the school system’s $2.5 billion annual budget, the savings are relatively small. Fairfax County is already ahead of the curve in many areas, said Greg Gibson, president of Gibson Consulting Group, the contractor that conducted the review.

“This is a school system that strives to do things better,” Gibson said, telling School Board members that the system compares favorably to its peer districts on most measures. “We saw a lot of best practices that have been done here for years, years before other school systems jumped in.”

Despite the many positives of FCPS, there is room to improve the efficiency of the school system, but these are not quick fixes, Gibson said.

Gibson’s report makes more than 30 recommendations for improving efficiency and management.

Gibson said the School Board should adopt a strategic plan for the school system. While the board has set general goals for student achievement and other areas, it does not have attached timelines or metrics for evaluating progress toward those goals, Gibson said, which can hamper long-term planning in some FCPS departments.

The report also suggests that the school system establish a decision-making framework that would delineate responsibilities between the central office, cluster offices and individual schools.

As a result, Gibson said, there can be inconsistencies in how a given program is implemented.

“There are a lot of areas where it is not clear who has decision-making authority,” he said.

The report recommends some adjustments to school staffing in a couple of areas.

Gibson said the schools are currently using a higher number of custodians than is the industry standard. Several School Board members said they were perplexed by this, given that they had been hearing from custodians that the schools were under-staffed for custodial services.

In addition, the school principals are now supervising the custodial staff in each of their schools.

“I’m not saying principals aren’t capable of doing this, but don’t we want principals to be more focused on instructional matters and not cleaning buildings?” Gibson asked.

The report recommends centralizing supervision of custodial staff to new custodial supervisor positions and, over time, looking at increasing the amount of square footage assigned to each custodian.

Other recommendations include reviewing the staffing ratios for school administrative staff, possibly shifting some administrative positions from elementary schools to middle or high schools. Right now, elementary schools have a lower student-to-administrator ratio although, theoretically, the workload should be less there, the report states.

The report suggests a pilot program to consider part-time assistant principals at some low enrollment elementary schools, where an assistant principal would split his or her time between two schools.

While the school system has a strong technology team, Gibson said, the review found a number of areas where paper record-keeping and processes are still in full effect. The school system could also make clerical staff more efficient by implementing an electronic timesheet system and automating other processes.

“In 2013, we’re still using paper timesheets,” he said.

In the areas of transparency and accountability, the report recommends that the school system use an online dashboard system to make it easier to navigate the FCPS budget and that the School Board expand the function of its internal audit office.

The School Board will meet with Gibson again Oct. 21 to continue discussing the findings of the report, which board members received for the first time on Tuesday.

The report is available on the Virginia Department of Education website at http://www.doe.virginia.gov/school_finance/efficiency_reviews/index.shtml
---------------------------------

HERE'S WHAT STOOD OUT IN MY MIND ABOUT THIS ARTICLE:

"Gibson said the schools are currently using a higher number of custodians than is the industry standard. Several School Board members said they were perplexed by this, given that they had been hearing from custodians that the schools were under-staffed for custodial services."

Yea.. it would be more cost-effective to have the students do the custodial work for a fraction of what FCPS pays the custodians. The money the students earn can be applied to sports and music fees.. it can even be applied to paying for school reconstruction and transportation costs.. Just a thought..

"'I’m not saying principals aren’t capable of doing this, but don’t we want principals to be more focused on instructional matters and not cleaning buildings?' Gibson asked."

If the principal has to supervise grown men/women to do custodial work, then he/she my as well get children at the school to do it and supervise them. At least the school can keep its money to pay for some of the student's cost. Hell, some of the savings can be used to give the principal a raise.

"cleaning buildings" will be transformed into an "instructional matter" for the students...

FCPS doesn't have to pay the students benefits either.. more cost savings..

The students learn responsibility.. more benefit to society..

This so called "efficiency expert" needs to analyze harder.. I just saved the school millions of dollars with my idea.

FCPS work-study program!

----------
I also like the part where the efficiency expert said, "There are a lot of areas where it is not clear who has decision-making authority.”

HA! That is a real professional way of saying, "There's too many damn administrators and officers at the Gatehouse admin office making 6-figure salaries. You need to start housecleaning in there. There's too many chiefs, and not enough indians"

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2013 09:27PM by SpeedFx187.

Date: November 04, 2013 10:46PM

Well, speedFX187, from what I've heard of your posts, you're not afraid to tell anybody what YOU think they need to hear. Therein, might lie the problem. Think about it.

Date: November 04, 2013 10:50PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> Well, speedFX187, from what I've heard of your
> posts, you're not afraid to tell anybody what YOU
> think they need to hear. Therein, might lie the
> problem. Think about it.

Are you suggesting that I'm not a good listener? lol

I should follow the "Two ears, and one mouth" rule?

Date: November 05, 2013 06:05PM

Wow, I just saw your idea on replacing custodians. Now we're down to replacing custodians with students. Have you ever seen students clean anything? Hell, most of them can't even clean their plates after a meal or wash a car let alone clean buildings. You would probably suggest no workers compensation if they get hurt on the job either. And you think you're saving the system money with lame suggestions such as this? I beg you to show up at a board meeting with this idea and see how swiftly you are ignored.

So what are you offering? Payment in Kind? "We'll educate you if you work for nothing?" Just when I was starting to take you seriously. As I said, show up at a school board meeting and get tossed into the same bin with the rest of the ideas that will never see the light of day. Doesn't hurt to propose it but, don't be surprised when you're sent packing either.

Principals make a good salary in this county, it's rank and file teachers who need and deserve a raise. You said you want to be a teacher? Most that I know say that their principal is very well compensated. You might want to start showing a bit of love for the rank and file teacher if you want to join the profession.

Posted by: not gonna happen ()
Date: November 05, 2013 06:41PM

Agree 100% on the rank and file teachers. There are way too many people in FCPS who are looking into the trenches and telling the teacher which way to dig (and they have no clue what they are saying, but their very existence implies that they could do it better). If they would just get in and help the teachers dig, the job would be done much faster and the teachers would not be so worn out. But no, heaven forbid that they would do some REAL work (because that's what teaching is).

The custodians are not a problem. They've already taken hits in the budget process over the years.

Date: November 05, 2013 06:53PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> Wow, I just saw your idea on replacing custodians.
> Now we're down to replacing custodians with
> students. Have you ever seen students clean
> anything? Hell, most of them can't even clean
> their plates after a meal or wash a car let alone
> clean buildings. You would probably suggest no
> workers compensation if they get hurt on the job
> either. And you think you're saving the system
> money with lame suggestions such as this? I beg
> you to show up at a board meeting with this idea
> and see how swiftly you are ignored.
>
> So what are you offering? Payment in Kind? "We'll
> educate you if you work for nothing?" Just when I
> was starting to take you seriously. As I said,
> show up at a school board meeting and get tossed
> into the same bin with the rest of the ideas that
> will never see the light of day. Doesn't hurt to
> propose it but, don't be surprised when you're
> sent packing either.
>
> Principals make a good salary in this county, it's
> rank and file teachers who need and deserve a
> raise. You said you want to be a teacher? Most
> that I know say that their principal is very well
> compensated. You might want to start showing a bit
> of love for the rank and file teacher if you want
> to join the profession.

I wouldn't exactly say REPLACE custodians with students. It would work out something like downgrade all custodial postions to temp hiring postions, except for the head supervisor (if there is one). Then allocate blocks of time for the students to clean the school. The students will do work that is appropriate for their age and ability. For example, it's obviously a bad idea for a 3rd grader to operate a lawnmower or floor-buffer. The temp positions staffed by adults will do what work is left over.

If there's not time in the busy school schedule for school leaders to work out, then gym class might have to go. The students can burn calories by cleaning the school for 30 min.

Parents may support the idea.. Getting children to clean their room is a constant battle for most parents that's filled with arguing and fighting. Children have a hard time accepting the fact they need to get a job, usually requiring cleaning and manual labor (food service and retail), after 16-18 years old. Many children have a hard time balancing work and college after they graduate high school. So this is important training.

You'll find kids who can factor a polynomial, but can't do simple manual tasks.. smh

The students don't get paid directly, they are volunteers. The money that is allocated for janitorial services gets transferred toward their fees. If the children don't work, then the parents pay the fees as discussed above.

This can also happen with public library services, some police department positions such as cleaning kennels, and similar positions at the city/town boroughs.

This would involve a tight collaboration of county, city, FCPS, and non-profit organizations.

--------------

As far as a possible school board run in the distant future, I would campaign on that idea (amoung others). If the voters hate the idea, then they don't have to vote for me. Simply spreading and suggesting the idea has power.

Inevitably, political pressures, education innovation in online learning, and macroeconomic downturns will squeeze out the rank and file teachers.

I think I'm ahead of my time. What I'm suggesting flies in the face of the conventional wisdom that's been in place for decades. If we experience a second Great Depression, then my idea of putting kids to work will gain traction. People are more open to radical ideas during a crisis.

And I never suggested that principals were overpaid... *scratching my head*

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 10:08PM by SpeedFx187.

Posted by: rate ()
Date: November 06, 2013 06:41PM

SpeedFx187 Wrote:
> Here's a new article covering a report from an
> efficiency expert that FCPS hired:
>
> Review seeks efficiencies in Fairfax schools
> Report recommends centralizing supervision of
> custodial staff
> http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130925/NEWS/
> 130929359/1117/review-seeks-efficiencies-in-fairfa
> x-schools&template=fairfaxTimes
>
> With some upfront investments, Fairfax County
> Public Schools could save about $10 million over
> the next five years if it makes some adjustments
> to its business practices, according to a
> state-sponsored efficiency review of the school
> system.
>
> The results of the efficiency review, which has
> been in the works for more than two years, were
> presented to the Fairfax County School Board on
> Tuesday.
>
> In the context of the school system’s $2.5
> billion annual budget, the savings are relatively
> small. Fairfax County is already ahead of the
> curve in many areas, said Greg Gibson, president
> of Gibson Consulting Group, the contractor that
> conducted the review.
>
> “This is a school system that strives to do
> things better,” Gibson said, telling School
> Board members that the system compares favorably
> to its peer districts on most measures. “We saw
> a lot of best practices that have been done here
> for years, years before other school systems
> jumped in.”
>
> Despite the many positives of FCPS, there is room
> to improve the efficiency of the school system,
> but these are not quick fixes, Gibson said.
>
> Gibson’s report makes more than 30
> recommendations for improving efficiency and
> management.
>
> Gibson said the School Board should adopt a
> strategic plan for the school system. While the
> board has set general goals for student
> achievement and other areas, it does not have
> attached timelines or metrics for evaluating
> progress toward those goals, Gibson said, which
> can hamper long-term planning in some FCPS
> departments.
>
> The report also suggests that the school system
> establish a decision-making framework that would
> delineate responsibilities between the central
> office, cluster offices and individual schools.
>
> As a result, Gibson said, there can be
> inconsistencies in how a given program is
> implemented.
>
> “There are a lot of areas where it is not clear
> who has decision-making authority,” he said.
>
> The report recommends some adjustments to school
> staffing in a couple of areas.
>
> Gibson said the schools are currently using a
> higher number of custodians than is the industry
> standard. Several School Board members said they
> were perplexed by this, given that they had been
> hearing from custodians that the schools were
> under-staffed for custodial services.
>
> In addition, the school principals are now
> supervising the custodial staff in each of their
> schools.
>
> “I’m not saying principals aren’t capable of
> doing this, but don’t we want principals to be
> more focused on instructional matters and not
> cleaning buildings?” Gibson asked.
>
> The report recommends centralizing supervision of
> custodial staff to new custodial supervisor
> positions and, over time, looking at increasing
> the amount of square footage assigned to each
> custodian.
>
> Other recommendations include reviewing the
> staffing ratios for school administrative staff,
> possibly shifting some administrative positions
> from elementary schools to middle or high schools.
> Right now, elementary schools have a lower
> student-to-administrator ratio although,
> theoretically, the workload should be less there,
> the report states.
>
> The report suggests a pilot program to consider
> part-time assistant principals at some low
> enrollment elementary schools, where an assistant
> principal would split his or her time between two
> schools.
>
> While the school system has a strong technology
> team, Gibson said, the review found a number of
> areas where paper record-keeping and processes are
> still in full effect. The school system could also
> make clerical staff more efficient by implementing
> an electronic timesheet system and automating
> other processes.
>
> “In 2013, we’re still using paper
> timesheets,” he said.
>
> In the areas of transparency and accountability,
> the report recommends that the school system use
> an online dashboard system to make it easier to
> navigate the FCPS budget and that the School Board
> expand the function of its internal audit office.
>
> The School Board will meet with Gibson again Oct.
> 21 to continue discussing the findings of the
> report, which board members received for the first
> time on Tuesday.
>
> The report is available on the Virginia Department
> of Education website at
> http://www.doe.virginia.gov/school_finance/efficie
> ncy_reviews/index.shtml
> ---------------------------------
>
> HERE'S WHAT STOOD OUT IN MY MIND ABOUT THIS
> ARTICLE:
>
> "Gibson said the schools are currently using a
> higher number of custodians than is the industry
> standard. Several School Board members said they
> were perplexed by this, given that they had been
> hearing from custodians that the schools were
> under-staffed for custodial services."
>
> Yea.. it would be more cost-effective to have the
> students do the custodial work for a fraction of
> what FCPS pays the custodians. The money the
> students earn can be applied to sports and music
> fees.. it can even be applied to paying for school
> reconstruction and transportation costs.. Just a
> thought..
>
> "'I’m not saying principals aren’t capable of
> doing this, but don’t we want principals to be
> more focused on instructional matters and not
> cleaning buildings?' Gibson asked."
>
> If the principal has to supervise grown men/women
> to do custodial work, then he/she my as well get
> children at the school to do it and supervise
> them. At least the school can keep its money to
> pay for some of the student's cost. Hell, some of
> the savings can be used to give the principal a
> raise.
>
> "cleaning buildings" will be transformed into an
> "instructional matter" for the students...
>
> FCPS doesn't have to pay the students benefits
> either.. more cost savings..
>
> The students learn responsibility.. more benefit
> to society..
>
> This so called "efficiency expert" needs to
> analyze harder.. I just saved the school millions
> of dollars with my idea.
>
> FCPS work-study program!
>
> ----------
> I also like the part where the efficiency expert
> said, "There are a lot of areas where it is not
> clear who has decision-making authority.”
>
> HA! That is a real professional way of saying,
> "There's too many damn administrators and officers
> at the Gatehouse admin office making 6-figure
> salaries. You need to start housecleaning in
> there. There's too many chiefs, and not enough
> indians"

that school report is a bunch of bull crap, consultant must have been paid by the word, how much was that report, who read it and recommended final payment? i would demand a refund for a report that said we need to reduce the tp budget.

janitorial services don't cost that much, those people put chairs and tables away late at night, many high schools are in use from 6 AM to 1o PM, they clean up the gym or cafeteria after events, there is high traffic in the bathrooms from all the people attending the events.

and guess what, the teachers/coaches sponsoring the late night activities and events are there along with all the volunteer parents and they stay until every kid goes home.

ask the administrators for some volunteer time to clean the bathrooms if it is really a problem.

Posted by: Wowzers ()
Date: November 07, 2013 06:30AM

Here is another waste of money. This is a new position:

http://www.fcps.edu/hr/employment/jobs/otherops.shtml

Safe Routes to School Coordinator (SRTS)
Hourly, Grant Position, One Year Only
Office of Safety and Security
Up to $32.00 per Hour

Description:
Organizes school division activities for Walk to School Day and Bike to School Day.

Establishes and organizes a divisionwide program for regular walking school buses and bicycle trains.

Creates templates and other materials for individual schools to customize.

Creates materials, templates, or standards for individual school use for encouragement events such as Walk to School and Bike to School Day.

Review and organizes safety education for student pedestrian and bicyclist safety. Conducts training, as appropriate. Creates materials for and organizes walk and bike audits of areas near schools.

Coordinates with local transportation engineers and officials on needed infrastructure, especially to support individual schools.

Supports and encourages SRTS network among participating schools in the division.

Helps establish SRTS teams at schools within the division.

Establishes standards and opportunities for stakeholder and volunteer participation in SRTS activities divisionwide or at each school.

Coordinates completion of evaluation tactics such as student travel tallies (including participation in the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)-sponsored Student Travel Tally Week), Parent Surveys, and reports to VDOT on divisionwide SRTS activities.

Performs all necessary documentation and reporting to VDOT for SRTS grant requirements.

Performs related work, as assigned or on own initiative.

Qualifications:

Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a degree in education,
the arts/sciences, or communications;

Experience working with K-12 students of diverse backgrounds is required;

Working knowledge or experience of the safe routes to school program (previous grant applicant, organized a walk/bike to school event);

Experience teaching bicycle and pedestrian safety curriculum, or experience presenting on benefits of walking, biking, or increased physical activity;

Personal contact with likely stakeholders such as public health agencies, local law enforcement, local county/city/town government, PTA;

Experience leading event coordination;

An endorsement to teach health and physical education within the Commonwealth of Virginia preferred.

Interested applicants please fax resumes to Douglass O’Neill at 571-423-2017.

Date: November 07, 2013 12:29PM

So, now, your kids safety is a waste of money? You people are idiots. There's a lot of responsibility and reporting in that job for 64k a year. I think you say it's a waste because you don't have the skills and abilities necessary to apply for it. I hear a ton of jealousy being dressed up as "concerned tax payer" BS on these threads. Position requires an endorsement to teach as well. People don't get education degrees and spend years in school to hold an $8.00 an hour job.

Additionally, the job is funded by a grant and is only a one year position. Wtf are you whining about, or, can't you read? Your tax dollars don't come into play at all and you're still whining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 12:30PM by hammerhead10.

Posted by: waste everywhere ()
Date: November 07, 2013 12:33PM

FCPS spends a ton on substitutes each year.

Teachers can attend funerals and be sick on weekends, holidays and summer break.

They need even more days off?

Date: November 07, 2013 01:04PM

You got any facts to back your statement up Waste? Or, are you just like many here and throwing accusations around. Do you have any idea how teachers in the county accrue leave? A typical teacher works a 10 hour day. that includes an 8 hour day plus two hours of work they take home with them on average grading your kids papers and spending time in conferences about your and other people's kids. Teachers spend an average of 50 hours per week on instructional duties, including an average of 12 hours each week on non-compensated school-related activities such as grading papers, bus duty, and club advising.

Many teachers are absent as often as they are because they’re subject to all kinds of infections from sniffly-nosed youngsters. Teaching—and particularly elementary-school teaching—is still a majority-female occupation, and child care still falls overwhelmingly on mothers, When a teacher’s child is out with the flu, she may have little choice but to stay home, too. Most teachers get a combined 13.5 days of sick and other leave per year.

Posted by: don't really care ()
Date: November 07, 2013 01:11PM

they work 9 months-get sick during that time period.

Or have an instructional coach actually teach one day.

Posted by: Reality knocking ()
Date: November 07, 2013 01:45PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> So, now, your kids safety is a waste of money? You
> people are idiots. There's a lot of responsibility
> and reporting in that job for 64k a year. I think
> you say it's a waste because you don't have the
> skills and abilities necessary to apply for it. I
> hear a ton of jealousy being dressed up as
> "concerned tax payer" BS on these threads.
> Position requires an endorsement to teach as well.
> People don't get education degrees and spend years
> in school to hold an $8.00 an hour job.
>
> Additionally, the job is funded by a grant and is
> only a one year position. Wtf are you whining
> about, or, can't you read? Your tax dollars don't
> come into play at all and you're still whining.

Uh, dude... It's a position for a freaking Walk/Bike to School Day Coordinator, not some critical school safety program. It's not even primarily a safety program; rather, primarily a fitness initiative.

http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/for-parents

So someone creates what's effectively a useless program since pretty much everyone within walking/biking distance of their school already understands that they can and those beyond that area won't ever even if they do participate in a one-day event because of the event only. At the same time creating added safety issues as a result of the event itself which then must be dealt with.

Christ, this is why we end up with stuff like mandated coverage for breast-feeding facilitators.

Date: November 07, 2013 01:49PM

It's funded by a grant, dumb ass...READ.

Posted by: grants are free btw ()
Date: November 07, 2013 02:17PM

And grants must be used for worthless projects. They can NEVER be redirected to wothwhile projects.

IT IS FREE as suggested by our fishfriend. Money on trees if you will.

Posted by: Reality knocking ()
Date: November 07, 2013 04:13PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> It's funded by a grant, dumb ass...READ.

So we pay for it with Federal tax dollars versus local tax dollars. And that doesn't necessarily mean that any grant money covers the full cost of the program. Looks like the state funnel for the Safe Routes grants are $1,000. Other money is distributed to infrastructure (sidewalk and bike path improvements, etc.) and not personnel. I don't have enough interest to delve into it any further beyond noting that the total costs very often aren't always fully funded just because it's a grant.

None of which relates to your completely off-point rant about the safety of children or some extensive schooling required to do what would appear to involve rather simple event coordination.

Date: November 07, 2013 06:07PM

Apply for the job, moron. Looks like you have lots of time on your hands to bitch about things, do something useful. Incessant whining about everything does not qualify.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 06:08PM by hammerhead10.

Posted by: not needed ()
Date: November 07, 2013 07:25PM

another waste

there are other county agencies that overlap oversight of sidewalk and trail routes. developers are required to build the sidewalks with new subdivisions, county agencies identify needed routes, county and state agencies construct and maintain sidewalks. the police department can also assist with school routes. schools don't contribute one iota to sidewalks other than to maybe shovel the snow off a small section on a closed school day.

elementary school kids are taken care of, schools were either built for the surrounding subdivision or the kids ride the bus if the route is over a mile. parents of elementary school kids drive or escort their kids to school, even more now because of the sniper incident.

middle schools are more spread out. again, kids ride the bus if it is over a mile. a teen and their parent ought to be able to figure out safe passage to school within a mile to their house.

high school is more spread out. upper classmen drive, underclassmen ride the bus if over a mile. kids within a mile know how to get to school or their parents drive because they have to go early or stay late for their activities.

this is why the rest of the county agencies get so torked at schools. they get all the money and work done by others.

Date: November 07, 2013 11:12PM

torked??? Really, it's torqued. I really couldn't tell from your post what the fuck you're railing about but, that's typical. Start making sense, ok?

Posted by: cmCarthy ()
Date: November 08, 2013 03:31PM

fucking liar.

they are hiring more foreigners their parking lots are over-run so they park in neerby neighborhoods

they spend a shitload and have increased spending endlessly

cuts my ass.

Posted by: Logic ()
Date: November 08, 2013 03:39PM

How much money could be saved, and class sized reduced, if we refused to let illegals send their kids to OUR schools?

Date: November 08, 2013 03:51PM

Logic Wrote:
> How much money could be saved, and class sized
> reduced, if we refused to let illegals send their
> kids to OUR schools?

Hmm... I'll take a crack at this... I know that percentage of Fairfax County that lives in poverty is about 5% of the county's 1.1 million population. FCPS has about 180,000+ students.. Assuming that the "illegals" that are being stigmatized here are poor, then they would make up approximately 5% of the approx. 180,000 students, which is about 9,000 students. The cost per student at FCPS is approx. $13,600 a year. So 13.6K times 9K is about $122.4 million a year. If we assume that 900,000 of the 1.1 million people in Fairfax County pay a bulk of the public school tax, then that's about $136 per year, per taxpayer.. Or, $11.33 a month less in property tax.

There's a "savings", but not very noticeable.

This of course isn't factoring "savings" from state and federal assistance they might be getting. But the cost per taxpayer for that aid is even less because the cost is spread out wider amoung the entire state of VA, and the entire country.

Bottom line, stigmatizing immigrants barely scratches the surface of lowering spending and taxes.

Posted by: ???? ()
Date: November 08, 2013 04:02PM

SpeedFx187 Wrote:
> Logic Wrote:
> -----
> > How much money could be saved, and class sized
> > reduced, if we refused to let illegals send
> their
> > kids to OUR schools?
>
>
> Hmm... I'll take a crack at this... I know that
> percentage of Fairfax County that lives in poverty
> is about 5% of the county's 1.1 million
> population. FCPS has about 180,000+ students..
> Assuming that the "illegals" that are being
> stigmatized here are poor, then they would make up
> approximately 5% of the approx. 180,000 students,
> which is about 9,000 students. The cost per
> student at FCPS is approx. $13,600 a year. So
> 13.6K times 9K is about $122.4 million a year. If
> we assume that 900,000 of the 1.1 million people
> in Fairfax County pay a bulk of the public school
> tax, then that's about $136 per year, per
> taxpayer.. Or, $11.33 a month less in property
> tax.
>
> There's a "savings", but not very noticeable.
>
> This of course isn't factoring "savings" from
> state and federal assistance they might be
> getting. But the cost per taxpayer for that aid
> is even less because the cost is spread out wider
> amoung the entire state of VA, and the entire
> country.
>
> Bottom line, stigmatizing immigrants barely
> scratches the surface of lowering spending and
> taxes.

So no real answers, just assumptions based on biased logic. Not to mention you could never really give a proper estimate based on reports on poverty, as illegals don't often report their earnings.

Are you really that stupid? Or just super ideological?

Date: November 08, 2013 04:14PM

2011 Household and Family Income Distribution

Income Household Family
Under $25,000 8.4% 7.2%
$25,000 to $49,999 11.0% 8.4%
$50,000 to $74,999 13.7% 11.2%
$75,000 to $99,999 13.6% 13.1%
$100,000 to $149,999 21.3% 21.0%
$150,000 or More 32.0% 39.1%
Median Income $105,797 $119,634

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2011 American Community Survey.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrph/gendemo.htm#inc

The 5% I gave was an estimate off my head.. I researched it, it's closer to about 8%.. Even at 8%, poor people aren't bleeding Fairfax County dry as you and other's claim.

No, I'm not stupid.. Just researched.. What FACTS do you have to support your claims? Where's your data? If you can't provide any, then you're likely the one with "biased logic", "supidity", and "super ideology".

Illegals need to report their earnings to the government in order to get aid. So if they're "welfare babies" like you and others claim, then they would have to report their earnings to be eligable for aid. They also have to show immigration paperwork to FCPS to be educated... etc..

Is it possible that one or two are slipping through the cracks.. sure... But it's not a massive epidemic problem like you and others portray.

Anti-immigration militants like yourself are "super ideological" when you exaggerate immigration problems and pretend that everything would work smoothly if we got rid of all the immigrants... smh

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2013 04:15PM by SpeedFx187.

Posted by: ??????? ()
Date: November 08, 2013 06:40PM

1) I don't have anything to back up, because I asked a question.

So, I'm going with you being biased, because no one can possibly be that stupid.

2) I didn't say anything about welfare. You're trying to throw up a bunch of smoke and mirrors because you can't emphatically state your case. Because, you're wrong, and even deep down you know that.

So, do a nut check, and if you have any left, come back and we can discuss this further. Until then, as they say in the UK, fuck off.

Date: November 08, 2013 06:47PM

Your original question implies a preassumption that there's many illegal immigrants in Fairfax County, and you asked how much money could be saved if we didn't have them because you believe much money could be saved without... And I showed some rough numbers that said that we wouldn't save that much money... *scratching my head*

I brought up welfare because the highest cost estimate for illegal immigrants would be the cost of paying for welfare in addition to education. (even though public education IS a form welfare... )

Posted by: Fertile Fernando ()
Date: November 08, 2013 06:52PM

SpeedFx187 Wrote:
> 2011 Household and Family Income Distribution
>
> Income Household Family
> Under $25,000 8.4% 7.2%
> $25,000 to $49,999 11.0% 8.4%
> $50,000 to $74,999 13.7% 11.2%
> $75,000 to $99,999 13.6% 13.1%
> $100,000 to $149,999 21.3% 21.0%
> $150,000 or More 32.0% 39.1%
> Median Income $105,797 $119,634
>
> Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2011 American
> Community Survey.
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrph/gendemo.htm#
> inc
>
> The 5% I gave was an estimate off my head.. I
> researched it, it's closer to about 8%.. Even at
> 8%, poor people aren't bleeding Fairfax County dry
> as you and other's claim.
>

You're forgetting that they have 6 kids for every one white kid. The effect is magnified particularly at the elementary level now.

If you want a more honest assessment of the impact of illegals on education and related costs in this area, then look at the results of some of the studies and surveys done for Montgomery County. Since they view themselves as a sanctuary area of sorts they tend to more directly address the issue. It's a very large in all respects.

Date: November 08, 2013 07:02PM

Fertile Fernando Wrote:

>
> You're forgetting that they have 6 kids for every
> one white kid. The effect is magnified
> particularly at the elementary level now.
>
> If you want a more honest assessment of the impact
> of illegals on education and related costs in this
> area, then look at the results of some of the
> studies and surveys done for Montgomery County.
> Since they view themselves as a sanctuary area of
> sorts they tend to more directly address the
> issue. It's a very large in all respects.

It may be true that non-white citizens will grow larger in percentage of the overall population... The real question is will they live below the poverty line with no marketable skills, and inability to speak, read, and write the english language. If the answer is "no", because they are in one of the top public school systems in the country, then the relatively small financial burden they put on tax payers, will pay for itself over time.

Also, it's important to note that our country has a social security crisis... Mainly because there are more retiring Baby Boomers than there are younger citizens from Generation X and Y to give support. The only way to keep social security from going bankrupt is to either raise social security to astronomical levels to take care of the Baby Boomers after they retire, or increase the younger population in the workforce so they can pay into the Social Security system.. Immigration appears like a pain in the ass now, but it will work out better for everyone over the long run...

PS... I'm referring to LEGAL immigrants.. not illegal

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2013 07:07PM by SpeedFx187.

Date: November 08, 2013 07:11PM

I'd like to find the data for Montgomory County and see what you were referring to..

Posted by: too ()
Date: November 08, 2013 09:13PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> torked??? Really, it's torqued. I really couldn't
> tell from your post what the fuck you're railing
> about but, that's typical. Start making sense, ok?

you don't understand because you are too stupid to understand how schools fits in with the rest of the county and you mask your stupidity by picking on the word tork which was misspelled on purpose.

Posted by: HSS ()
Date: December 09, 2013 04:31PM

Misbranding kids as special ed never works. I had an IEP K-6 for having a low IQ and all it did was make me feel even more stupid... you have to do everything yourself... fortunately I saw beyond that and now I outperform most of the people who were in "GT" classes then now that I am in middle school and high school. Not everyone did as well as me though

Misbranding kids as special ed never works. I had an IEP K-6 for having a low IQ and all it did was make me feel even more stupid... you have to do everything yourself... fortunately I saw beyond that and now I outperform most of the people who were in "GT" classes then now that I am in middle school and high school. Not everyone did as well as me though

Posted by: fssga ()
Date: December 09, 2013 09:09PM

I say cut "Physical Education" last time I checked having to log the amount f hours you sleep each night isn't gonna help the country. Also actually check where people are living. When I was in 2nd grade there was a kid from Alexandria who's family paid someone to use their address to attend school.

Posted by: pay ()
Date: December 09, 2013 09:26PM

fcps is finally hiring good teachers, seeing more mature teachers with depth and real experience. we should pay them well!

reduce the admn bullcrap that the teachers have to do and let them teach.

p.e. is good for kids, they need it.

music is good for kids and parents pay for all of it.

Posted by: simply stated ()
Date: December 09, 2013 11:05PM

"fcps is finally hiring good teachers, seeing more mature teachers with depth and real experience. we should pay them well!

reduce the admn bullcrap that the teachers have to do and let them teach.

p.e. is good for kids, they need it.

music is good for kids and parents pay for all of it."

+1000 This says it all. Have you ever thought of running for school board? You sound like you have too much common sense to be elected though . . .

Posted by: U R clueless ()
Date: December 10, 2013 10:37AM

> I was speaking about fucked up computer networks
> in general and the geniuses who run them. These
> geniuses undoubtedly would tell you that their six
> figure incomes are completely justified, while a
> high school principal's is not.

Very few IT workers make 130K. They also don't get big fat pensions for life at 55.

Posted by: Cesar Chavez was a fag ()
Date: December 10, 2013 11:47AM

SpeedFx187 Wrote:
> Fertile Fernando Wrote:
>
> >
> > You're forgetting that they have 6 kids for
> every
> > one white kid. The effect is magnified
> > particularly at the elementary level now.
> >
> > If you want a more honest assessment of the
> impact
> > of illegals on education and related costs in
> this
> > area, then look at the results of some of the
> > studies and surveys done for Montgomery County.
>
> > Since they view themselves as a sanctuary area
> of
> > sorts they tend to more directly address the
> > issue. It's a very large in all respects.
>
>
> It may be true that non-white citizens will grow
> larger in percentage of the overall population...
> The real question is will they live below the
> poverty line with no marketable skills, and
> inability to speak, read, and write the english
> language. If the answer is "no", because they are
> in one of the top public school systems in the
> country, then the relatively small financial
> burden they put on tax payers, will pay for itself
> over time.
>
> Also, it's important to note that our country has
> a social security crisis... Mainly because there
> are more retiring Baby Boomers than there are
> younger citizens from Generation X and Y to give
> support. The only way to keep social security
> from going bankrupt is to either raise social
> security to astronomical levels to take care of
> the Baby Boomers after they retire, or increase
> the younger population in the workforce so they
> can pay into the Social Security system..
> Immigration appears like a pain in the ass now,
> but it will work out better for everyone over the
> long run...
>
> PS... I'm referring to LEGAL immigrants.. not
> illegal

The answer is yes. Just look at data from states with a longer timeline of hosting massive third world immigration: CA, NY, TX. You'll see the brown skin children of second and third generations still under perform all but the most inbred of crackas. Welcome to Nueva America.

Posted by: Fighting Back ()
Date: December 10, 2013 12:01PM

The attacks on Gatehouse make me laugh. You mudslingers have no idea, do you?

My wife has a Master's Degree, was a principal of a private school, and has over 10 years experience in the classroom. She is an expert on the federal law and special education.

She makes less than 100K, and saves the taxpayers more than her salary three or four times over.

How so? She makes about 1/2 of what the young, no-nothing attorneys make who should be doing her job. She regularly is pitted against lawyers and advocates for enabling parents who want EVERYTHING under the sun for their little Johnny or Sally. You would not believe what these leeches ask for... and sometimes get. We send kids to residential treatment centers all the time, some running into six figures per year, all because of No Child Left Behind and our blameless society that wants everything and contributes nothing.

Go ahead, get rid of experts in the field like her. When word gets out that FCPS has no one familiar enough with the law and the rights of special education and how that does NOT entitle you to everything just because your little Einstein is not on the Honor Roll, more and more leeches, ESL parasites, and their attorneys and advocates will come here and suck you lemmings dry. I don't care - I live in Loudoun, and the good ol boy network still in place here just denies special ed kids their federally mandated rights. My taxes won't skyrocket just yet like yours will!

Posted by: reality ()
Date: December 10, 2013 12:26PM

Most of the teachers I know are grading papers today, school is closed, they do the same on nights and weekends too and you are insinuating that they do nothing? People holding this view are part of the problem, they whine complain about things like the "nanny state" and then they scream even more loudly when their kid gets an unscheduled day off from school because they have no daycare for the day. I seriously doubt that there is only one person at your kid's school willing to help but, I can see how an overworked and stressed situation in schools can create this perception.

Yes, teachers are grossly underpaid and severely overworked, ideas like, having kids do janitorial work so that FCPS can save a few measly bucks on salaries are not only not going to help, they are unsafe. If they want to save real money, they will reduce the current pyramid size from 8 pyramids to 4 and reduce admin positions and staff supporting those clusters accordingly. If they're going to re-structure, they might as well aim big and keep ideas like putting students to work for nothing where they belong. The current budget short fall is in the neighborhood of 140 million dollars, it is not insurmountable but can only be overcome by making several strategically planned and significant moves.

Posted by: bicycle such ()
Date: December 10, 2013 07:36PM

Fucking illegals fucked our schools up.

Posted by: cool daddy ()
Date: January 17, 2014 08:59AM

I liked many of your ideas and think we need to be more fiscally responsible. I think the problem these days is also parents. My wife is a teacher and the horror stories I hear about parents these days is great. A good majority of students these days are on IEP's (Individual Education Programs). This means that each students get different assignments, different testing, etc. With a class size of 23 students that adds up a lot more work than they can handle. I work 60 hours a week at my own job and make a lot more than my wife. I would like to think, most days, I work pretty hard, but the amount she is "required" to do is insane. The whole education system is flawed and we accommodate kids too much. I am only 31 and I talk to my coworkers who are 20 years older than me. They say they were scared of my generation but now realize it is the kids growing up now who we need to be scared of. These are the kids bringing parents to job interviews. Sorry this is a ramble. Need more coffee...but I do agree that major changes need to be made.

Posted by: Lurker89 ()
Date: January 17, 2014 10:15AM

Free and Reduced lunch numbers from 2012:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dmb/fy2012/budget_questions/bos/responses_package_1/04_fcps_free_and_reduced_meals.pdf

"The Free and Reduced-Price Meals Program (FRM) is the fastest growing program for students with additional needs in the school system. Families qualifying for the FRM program must meet established federal guidelines of income and household size. In FY 2012, the number of students eligible for FRM services is projected to be 45,170, or 25.5 percent of all students."

(table below looks better in document)

School Division-SNP-Membership-Free-Eligibility-Free-%-Reduced-Eligibility-Reduced-%-Total-F/R Elig-Total-F/R-%
Falls Church City Public Schools 1,994 102 5.12% 49 2.46% 151 7.57%
Loudoun County Public Schools 60,735 6,526 10.75% 2,310 3.80% 8,836 14.55%
Fairfax County Public Schools 170,464 32,539 19.09% 9,665 5.67% 42,204 24.76%
Arlington County Public Schools 20,424 5,464 26.75% 1,418 6.94% 6,882 33.70%
Prince William County Public Schools 77,054 20,109 26.10% 6,507 8.44% 26,616 34.54%
Manassas City Public Schools 6,848 2,651 38.71% 562 8.21% 3,213 46.92%
Manassas Park City Public Schools 2,714 1,113 41.01% 203 7.48% 1,316 48.49%
Alexandria City Public Schools 11,501 4,949 43.03% 1,316 11.44% 6,265 54.47%
State School Division Totals 1,220,362 365,467 29.95% 86,349 7.08% 451,816 37.02%

Not included in the Virginia statewide data, Montgomery County Public Schools’ FRM percentage for the school year 2009-2010 was 29.26 percent (Source: Maryland Department of Education; http://www.msde.maryland.gov/MSDE/programs/schoolnutrition/docs/Free+and+Reduced-Price+Meal+Data).

Posted by: ipone ()
Date: May 06, 2014 08:56AM

100K CLUB GATEHOUSE Wrote:
> Garza, Karen K Division Superintendent Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 265,000.00
>
> Bartus, Camille A Wellness Program Specialist
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 104,455.00
>
> Blanda, Melissa H Coord III, Disb & Lv Benefits
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 120,477.00
> Brann, Susan A Recruitment Specialist I Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 89,885.00
>
> Brathwaite, Sherry D Dir II, Equity and Compliance
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 115,196.00
>
> Brunner, Eric C Civil Engineer II Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 91,875.00
>
> Brumfield, Pamela E Principal, HS Edison High $
> 143,064.00
>
>
> Burke, Larry P Dir II, Leadership Development
> Fairfax Ridge $ 132,940.00
> Burke, Linda L Asst Supt, Cluster Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 173,430.00
> Burke, Barbara A Senior Communications Spec
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 100,890.00
> Callahan, Robert G Employee Relations Administrtr
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 103,382.00
> \
> Campbell, David L Jr. Coord III, Capital Projects
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 120,477.00
>
> Campbell, Douglas A Coord III, Payroll & Bnft Actg
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 109,145.00
>
> Carlson, Grady K Assistant Division Counsel
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 139,574.00
>
> Chen, Joanne M Coord III, Studnt Registration
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 122,886.00
>
>
> Christesen, Kathleen B Entrprs Resrce
> Plning(ERP)Spec Gatehouse Administration Center I
> $ 113,590.00
>
> Burgess, James L Sr Ed Svcs Spec, Monitor&Compl
> Virginia Hills Center $ 113,590.00
>
> Bybee, Dennis L Chemistry Tchr, HS Bryant Alt High
> $ 102,437.00
> Calderwood, Margaret M Dir III, Employment
> Services Gatehouse Administration Center I $
> 122,811.00
>
>
>
> Boivin, Elisabeth L Employee Programs Specialist
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 104,455.00
> Bojtos, Marcela I Employee Perf Assessment Spec
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 107,066.00
>
>
> Bizette, Larry T Demographer Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 89,200.00
> Blake, Richard S Electrical Engineer II Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 107,066.00
>
> Blanchard, Gary W Financial Analyst II Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 94,631.00
>
>
>
> Ours, Thomas A Mgr, Construction Projects
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 108,646.00
>
> Pajardo, Phyllis C Asst Supt, Human Resources
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 165,883.00
> Parisi, Patricia O Management Tech I/II/III
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 69,737.00
>
> Alarico, Maricela R Budget Analyst IV Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 96,501.00
>
> Anderson, James D Asst Admin Hearing Officer
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 113,522.00
>
> Anderson, Nicholas M After-School Specialist Stone
> Middle $ 54,153.00
> Anderson, Nurit Equity & Compliance Administr
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 109,145.00
>
> Arrington, Timothy Director, Cluster Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 113,522.00
>
> Atwater, Angela G Asst Supt, Cluster Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 152,547.00
> Bagga, Varinder Electrical Engineer II Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 96,997.00
>
> Ball, Gary D Security Specialist Gatehouse
> Administration Center I $ 101,907.00
>
> Ball, Roger L Dir II, Procurement Services
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 124,054.00
>
>
>
> Parker, Michael R Resource Tchr, ES - NSB
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 85,766.00
>
>
> Parris, Daniel H II Asst SuptAdams, Peter O
> Technical Inspector (M) Gatehouse Administration
> Center I $ 86,420.00
> , Special Projects Gatehouse Administration Center
> I $ 190,000.00
>
>
> Pearson, Roger A Accounting Tech I/II/III
> Gatehouse Administration Center I $ 73,992.00

Posted by: FCCC ()
Date: May 06, 2014 12:20PM

SpeedFx187 I with FCPS would offer you a job. Then take on each school one at a time to clean up the mess in the schools with each school administration. The waste that goes on. The lazy teachers and office support. I think each school only has about 2 people who really ca in the offices. Maybe there is to much stress or they are not paid enough to put up with the parents. The school where my kids go there is only one person who is willing to help all the others just pass you along. Every parent I know goes to this one lady when there'd are at least 10 office workers. I jut think the moral at the school level is very low. How is it when you go to your child's school?

Re: FCPS Budget cuts Jacqueline Muratore Attorney Con Artist
Posted by: did ()
Date: December 11, 2015 07:59AM

Jacqueline Muratore

Jacqueline Muratore Esq. of Houser & Allison is currently being investigated by several branches of Government for allegedly conspiring to commit Insurance Fraud, Grand Larceny, Offering a Forged Instrument for Filing, Falsifying Government and County Records and other charges pertaining to her active involvement in Illegal Mortgage Foreclosure Schemes bilking homeowners out of property and several other Constitutional Violations.

Jacqueline Muratore is currently under investigation by New York Attorney General and the New York State Department of Financial Services as an agent of Ocwen Loan Servicing, a known foreclosure mill who’s actions have illegally attempted foreclosure of property belonging to among others, senior citizens, women, infants and children.

Attorney Jacqueline Muratore AKA The Legal Shrimp, https://websta.me/n/thelegalshrimp along Michael Petsche of AMP Abstract & Title http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/michael-petsche-michael-petsche-thief-amp-title-amp-abstract-investigated-saratoga-ny-c748579.html , Trish McCord of Altisource (division of Ocwen Loan Servicing), recently conspired to commit Insurance Fraud, among other criminal acts, in a scheme to take a homeowners property who has no mortgage.

Attorney Jacqueline Muratore is quickly becoming a con-artist thief and career criminal, conspiring to file fictitious county records purporting to have won foreclosure judgments illegally manufactured by Michael Petsche of AMP Abstract & Title along with known foreclosure mill attorney Mark K. Broyles, Mark K. Broyles you should know has been falsifying governmental records for over a decade to obtain illegal foreclosures on unsuspecting homeowners and senior citizens and now has recruited several others including neighboring state and county officials (their names will be reported in the next thread and post subsequent to this one).

One wonders why someone like Attorney Jacqueline Muratore who already has millions in offshore banks would continue in these criminal actions but, as investigators have stated over and over, these types are possessed by greed and necessity to harm and cause injury to others as, a blood sport!

Jacqueline Muratore Esq. an attorney of Houser & Allison has recently recruited other lawyers to her schemes including Jason K. Boss in California, Cara C. Christensen in Washington, Emilie K. Edling in Oregon and Daniel J. sathre in Minnesota to aid in her schemes to commit judicial fraud on the courts and homeowners nationwide.

Jacqueline Muratore Esq. fraudulently uses Non Profits like, Blind Start of America and Project HOPE Foundation to gain credibility on her website including companies like Wingspan Portfolio Advisors http://www.housingwire.com/articles/34472-wingspan-portfolio-advisors-files-for-bankruptcy who has filed for bankruptcy protection, they have been used to steal homeowners property and then invest funds in offshore accounts with others like Mark K. Broyles of Fein, Such & Crane a notorious foreclosure mill. Wingspan Portfolio Advisors http://www.nationalmortgagenews.com/news/servicing/what-went-wrong-at-wingspan-1056978-1.html and Jacqueline Muratore have used the system to bilk homeowners our of billions and still counting.

In fact, Wingspan Portfolio Advisors is posted on the Houser & Allison website http://www.houser-law.com/news and A/K/A The Legal Shrimp Jacqueline Muratore seems to take great pride in using them to invest funds obtained illegally from illegal court actions perpetrated by Attorney Jacqueline Muratore and Michael Petsche of AMP Abstract & Title and Trish McCord of Altisource with other county officials (county officials involved will be posted in another thread on several other websites this weekend and over the next several weeks as the story unfolds).
A Bill called Verification of documents – The Bill subjects the recording and filing of multiple unverified documents to a civil penalty of up to $7,500 per loan in an action brought by a civil prosecutor. It would also allow enforcement under a violator’s licensing statute by the Department of Corporations, Department of Real Estate or Department of Financial Institutions. Civil Code section 2924.17., which if enacted will prevent the illegal actions of people like Jacqueline Muratore and this bill is just a slap on the wris, according to Jacqueline Muratore believes it will not prevent her from committing further frauds not stated in the bill.
Attachments:
Muratore.jpg

Posted by: DNGtt ()
Date: December 11, 2015 10:35AM

Lurker89 Wrote:

> State School Division Totals 1,220,362 365,467
> 29.95% 86,349 7.08% 451,816 37.02%
>
>

I just fell out of my chair - 37% of the kids in Virginia get a free lunch? That's unbelievable.

Posted by: sorry I'm not convinced ()
Date: December 11, 2015 11:47AM

When FCPS stops spending $80,000 a MONTH on travel and stops hiring unqualified "hand waving" consultants like Eric Jensen, Flip Flippen and Tara Brach I'll believe that they are serious about budget cuts, but not until.

Posted by: Small Business Guy ()
Date: December 11, 2015 12:12PM

Hhhhggh Wrote:
> ^^^^
> Why do they need to suck up all the resources??
> How is that remotely fair ??
>
> You don't need to learn English in the Hispanic
> community.

It's fair because I need to hire the illegals to keep profits up and my costs down. By hiring the illegals that pack the 7/11's in Herndon and Annandale I can do the school system construction work as a contractor and remain lowest bidder. This allows me to make tons of cash. While here the illegals start new families and send their tax free dollars that I pay them back to their wives in their homeland. In turn FCPS educates the youngsters bread into existence here in the County. ESOL is an essential part of these kids learning since English is not spoken in the home. As a general contractor renovating the schools it's a win win for me and them. Exploiting the workers is OK because they after all are illegal and can't complain and even at minimum wage they are still making more money than they would in their country if there was any work there. So please FCPS whatever you do to balance your budget leave ESOL alone so I can continue to reap huge profits off the backs of these people. Besides they deserve to be taken advantage of since they are illegal right?

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.