HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is this pic evidence of mountain lion in Virginia?
Posted by: Internet Rambos ()
Date: April 12, 2014 06:59PM

Trapper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read something about a mountain lion sighting in
> Winchester recently, but I can't seem to find the
> article anywhere.

So why havn't you trapped said lion yet? Are you just another NoVa bullshitter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Trapper ()
Date: April 12, 2014 07:43PM

Internet Rambos Wrote:
> Trapper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I read something about a mountain lion sighting
> in
> > Winchester recently, but I can't seem to find
> the
> > article anywhere.
>
>
> So why havn't you trapped said lion yet? Are you
> just another NoVa bullshitter?

Haven't found one yet, but would if I could. Have you ever even been into the woods son?

Re: Is a mountain lion roaming Westridge?
Posted by: Daniel Lawrence ()
Date: April 27, 2014 03:18PM

My son, girlfriend, and I were travelling eastbound on Interstate 64, February 24th at 0115am hrs. We were just coming home after spending the day at Massanutten ski resort. We saw brilliant green eyes reflecting up ahead off the side of the road near a deer carcass. We slowed down and the animal leaped across the embankment and crouched down. We got a excellent look at it and at the same time exclaimed, “a mountain lion?” It had a very long tail and was definitely a very large feline. We estimated about 50-75kg. I had no idea wild cats of that size were in Virginia. The next roadsign we saw was a VDOT distance sign, we were only 30 miles from Richmond, Virginia. We were looking up and Google’d if what we saw was possible and came across this site. Just wanted to share our experience and hope the animal’s never cross path with people!

Posted by: CougarTown ()
Date: April 27, 2014 03:56PM

There's a cougar roaming my neighborhood...rowrl!

Posted by: Cougar Quest ()
Date: May 13, 2014 08:01AM

I found this site today that lists "possible" sightings...

http://www.btcent.com/CougarQuest.htm

Tracks & Observations: Valrie N, property owner.

03/13/2014 email: "Could these be cougar tracks?" Photos of large animal tracks following deer hoof prints in snow/ice on 03/03/2014 ... no measurement, but estimated at 4"-4 1/2" print ... no obvious toenail marks, large rounded toes, more rounded foot configuration than canine on the most clear print, more elongated print behind that ... however, pad seemed too small for cougar and it appeared that a canine toe/pad X could be made on both prints.

03/14/2014 follow up email:

On 03/04/2014, two different neighbors reported seeing a cougar; 1 lives less than 3 miles from me and the creek that runs through our property also runs near his house. I'm convinced a cougar comes through this area every so often.

In early May 2009, at around 1:00 a.m., I watched a very young cougar in our backyard stalking a possum. Of course, I couldn't believe what I was watching so I ran all around the house turning on every outside light (we had 10) just so I could see better. Sure enough, just on the edge of the light with green eye shine crouched low and walking very slowly with the longest tail on an animal I've ever seen was the Shepard sized cat. It was watching a possum, who was waddling as fast as it could and when it reached the wall it walked along the house. The cat stayed just on the edge of the light but followed the possum as it moved around the house. The cat was walking about 2 feet from the creek. I ran upstairs to get a better look (I had already opened the bedroom window) and knelt in front of the window and just then one of those huge bullfrogs let out a call and splashed into the creek. This made the cat literally jump up and turned itself around facing the creek. Meantime the possum made a beeline for the barn and scurried under it. The cat laid down watching the creek. I had a perfect line of sight and decided to run downstairs to get my camera. By the time I got back upstairs it was gone. No idea which way or where it went. Haven't seen it since.

Posted by: Jimmy D. ()
Date: May 13, 2014 09:42AM

likely just a fat stray cat.

Posted by: 7ceP4 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 07:57AM

Haven't heard many updates lately other than Cougar screams heard coming from lake accotink park in springfield v.a some months ago.

Posted by: Rawwwwwr! ()
Date: July 15, 2014 03:14PM

Trapper Wrote:
> I read something about a mountain lion sighting in
> Winchester recently, but I can't seem to find the
> article anywhere.

Still not in Northern VA?

Posted by: depends who you ask ()
Date: July 15, 2014 03:22PM

Rawwwwwr! Wrote:
> Trapper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I read something about a mountain lion sighting
> in
> > Winchester recently, but I can't seem to find
> the
> > article anywhere.
>
> Still not in Northern VA?

Some consider Winchester Northern Virginia. The newspaper Northern Virginia Daily is HQd in Shenandoah County.

Posted by: asdfasdfasfads ()
Date: July 15, 2014 03:34PM

Winchester is clearly not in Northern VA. More like Northwestern VA.

Posted by: not to all ()
Date: July 15, 2014 03:39PM

asdfasdfasfads Wrote:
> Winchester is clearly not in Northern VA. More
> like Northwestern VA.

You can't really say clearly. It is part of the same Northern VA CSA.

Posted by: warrenton va sighting from 2007 ()
Date: July 22, 2014 07:58AM

My father is a retired Secret Service agent who used to shoot alot with Regan spotted a mountain lion on the side of rt. 211 just north of Warrenton VA back in 2007. It was slinking off up a hill after crossing the road, he said it was 100 + lbs. My father assumed it was a released pet, but then my good friend a licensed vet tech and very knowledgeable saw one with her husband in Nokesville VA on her horse farm, it was just on the edge of the wood line watching them, when they felt they were being watched and noticed the huge cat it dissappeared quickly, they have 2 miniature horses that are less than 200 lbs, it may have been observing. I raise miniature horses and am quite concerned as we are surrounded by woods in Warrenton.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.