HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Funny-tasting water?
Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:55PM

All of a sudden, our water (south Herndon) tastes weird. We just got back from a trip of over a week, so it might have been going on for a while. We let it run, so it isn't something in the pipes.

Anyone else having water problems? I'll call FCWA in the morning, but figured I'd ask here first.

And yeah, you aren't the only one who can think of crude/rude responses to make to this post. Fire away...

Re: Funny-tasting water?
Posted by: greyerbeard ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:58PM

could be the new chlorine compounds the county's trying out this year

just sayin'

Posted by: Dehydrated ()
Date: April 14, 2013 10:09PM

For the past few days, our water in Centreville has tasted like swimming pool water.

Date: April 14, 2013 10:40PM

Ah, good, it's not my brain tumor :-)

(Fifty years ago, my parents had a neighbor with a brain tumor pressing on the part of the brain that controls odor: he said he could smell garbage all the time!)

I'll post what FCWA says. My bet is they had some runoff from spring melt and are overchlorinating for a while to compensate.

Anyone else wanna confirm or deny funny-tasting water? Must be a few who still drink tap water...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2013 10:41PM by Greybeard.

Posted by: water ()
Date: April 14, 2013 10:44PM

FCWA.org-

Chloramine, the combination of ammonia and chlorine, form a stable bond that keeps a disinfectant residual throughout the entire distribution system. During the spring months, Fairfax Water performs its annual flushing. While that program is in progress, the disinfectant is changed to free chlorine. Free Chorine is an aggressive disinfectant that aids in the disinfection of the flushed water mains. Fairfax Water is also beginning to utilize ozone as a disinfectant. The use of ozone will allow the amount of chloramine and free chlorine added in the treatment process to be reduced.

Date: April 14, 2013 10:53PM

water Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FCWA.org-
>
> Chloramine, the combination of ammonia and
> chlorine, form a stable bond that keeps a
> disinfectant residual throughout the entire
> distribution system. During the spring months,
> Fairfax Water performs its annual flushing. While
> that program is in progress, the disinfectant is
> changed to free chlorine. Free Chorine is an
> aggressive disinfectant that aids in the
> disinfection of the flushed water mains. Fairfax
> Water is also beginning to utilize ozone as a
> disinfectant. The use of ozone will allow the
> amount of chloramine and free chlorine added in
> the treatment process to be reduced.

Ah. Good catch--I had looked but under things like "news", and hadn't found the FAQ (in fact [FAQt?], I still didn't find this, finally Googled the first sentence with "FCWA").

Now the only mystery is why we've lived in this house for over 20 years and never noticed this. Maybe it's worse this year for some reason?

Posted by: EveryYear ()
Date: April 14, 2013 11:49PM

I notice that hint of chlorine about this time every year.

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: April 14, 2013 11:53PM

It's every spring. Usually they would send out a notification with your last bill. They switch chlorinate additives to clean the lines for a few weeks. It's an anual thing. Trust me you shouldn't be drinking city water anyway; always use a filter for any main drinking.

Date: April 15, 2013 09:55AM

FCWA says they ARE in our neighborhood now, and so it's not surprising that we're noticing it. No idea why we haven't noticed it before.

Anyway, it's just chlorine, so their suggestion is to put a jug of water in the fridge and it'll filter out in a couple of hours. Doesn't help for ice, of course--guess I'll be buying that for a while.

In a couple of weeks it should subside, though technically they'll still be flushing until the end of May.

BTW, Enigma: the water is filtered, but we can still taste it.

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:38AM

Greybeard Wrote:

>
> BTW, Enigma: the water is filtered, but we can
> still taste it.

You need a better filter then. One that better handles chlorinates/chlorine and other chemical impurities (vs particulates). It's not hard, just read the specs on the back...Brita usually makes a decent one that does and some of the better PUR. And I'm just talking about their pitcher and cheapy faucet ones at Lowes and Walmart, etc. You don't have to pay a lot for a good filter.

Posted by: FYI.... ()
Date: May 10, 2013 07:44AM

Greybeard Wrote:
> FCWA says they ARE in our neighborhood now, and so
> it's not surprising that we're noticing it. No
> idea why we haven't noticed it before.
>
> Anyway, it's just chlorine, so their suggestion is
> to put a jug of water in the fridge and it'll
> filter out in a couple of hours. Doesn't help for
> ice, of course--guess I'll be buying that for a
> while.
>
> In a couple of weeks it should subside, though
> technically they'll still be flushing until the
> end of May.
>
> BTW, Enigma: the water is filtered, but we can
> still taste it.

Just so you know, the Chlorine alone can bother your stomach. My parents lived in Franklin Farm Herndon at one time, and they pumped in the Chlorine. It gave my mother terrible stomach problems and rusted out their dish washer. Might be a good idea to look into a filtering system for your whole house.

Posted by: Long Timer ()
Date: May 10, 2013 09:58PM

Pee

Posted by: water ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:23AM

A buncha cool geeky science kids did a two or three year long project on water. It was the most annoying thing we all had to listen to them every so often and they were super excited. At first it was sort of interesting, but it wasn't very much so again until the end. I had to endure these constant updates every so often as I was tricked into thinking honors and AP/IB courses would get me into the greatest schools...like NOVA and George Mason!

So - Tap water = near poison. Found lots of contaminants, of all sorts and nothing that you want to put in your body. A few metals which are considered toxic.

Filters = The only filters that really worked were the ones that are slow in filtering water.

Boiled water = Didn't work like I thought it would. I figured it would get everything out right? Wrong. Still contaminated.

Most bottle spring = Okay, but results varied.

Bottled Distilled = Clean.

So I mostly drink distilled after this. I still poison out the faucet here and there, but not mainly. People say they'v eben drinking city water all their life blah blah blah but the truth is the dirtier the water, the more stress on your liver. Something to think about!

Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: May 13, 2013 12:31PM

If something tastes bad, it's usually a good indicator to stop drinking or eating it.

Posted by: iron supplement ()
Date: May 13, 2013 12:53PM

Don't know if the water tastes funny, however some truck went through the neighborhood today opening hydrants - causes rust in water? Not sure...

This forum powered by Phorum.