HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 119
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 10, 2013 08:16PM

Thanks, FB Thief, Red Barn was one of the better FF concepts...Big Barney's/Barnbusters/Chicken....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Facebook Thief ()
Date: February 10, 2013 09:48PM

Belle View Esso 1967
Attachments:
Belle View Esso-crop.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Anyone remember...... ()
Date: February 10, 2013 10:14PM

Does anyone remember the chain link fences that were put up to block off streets in the neighborhood off Seminary Rd across from the Coke bottling plant. I believe this occurred in Fairfax County (the Alex City / Fairfax Co border is near that area).

This was I think around the mid to late 70's. I have searched the internet many times and I have been unable to find anything about this. I hope someone remembers it because I'm beginning to think I dreamed the whole thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: peck check ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:07AM

Okay this one is Arlington but didn't Bob Peck get torn down a few years back?
Attachments:
chevy503.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:21AM

I think the building that is going up on that corner (Glebe and Wilson) is incorporting some of the showroom into the lobby area.

Parkington -- does anyone have picture of the putt-putt golf course and old garden style apartments behind it that were on Glebe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: peck check ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:36AM

blanche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the building that is going up on that
> corner (Glebe and Wilson) is incorporting some of
> the showroom into the lobby area.
>
> Parkington -- does anyone have picture of the
> putt-putt golf course and old garden style
> apartments behind it that were on Glebe?


Wow! I forgot all about parkington. Found one pic on bing image search.
Attachments:
Parkington+Xmas+sm.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: enufalredi ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:54AM

Bob peck back in the day. BTW the new structure incorporates some design elements of the old structure, but the old buiding was completely demolished.
Attachments:
PECK.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: enufalredi ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:59AM

as you can see....
Attachments:
bp-chevy-1.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: ravensworth farm ()
Date: February 16, 2013 11:18AM

When they started building the Ravensworth farm subdivision in the early 60's my dad thought that it would be insane to buy a house "that far out in the country."
20 grand for a ravensworth house!


Ravensworth Farm Development ,” braddockheritage.org/, accessed February 16, 2013, http://braddockheritage.org
Attachments:
ravensworth farm.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Nancey ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:28PM

My mom used to work at the coke plant in the 60's, probably 1963? To 1969. I remember the fence, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: ChevyDude ()
Date: February 16, 2013 03:16PM

peck check Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay this one is Arlington but didn't Bob Peck get
> torn down a few years back?


Bob Peck Chevy was a great dealership but they were offered $22 million for the land and they sold out... and now Rosenthal Chevy on Columbia Pike is gone ... although that is no great loss: shitty, rip off service department and the whole place was a dump anyway. Pallone gone too, although that was another rip-off joint in its later years.

Any Chevy dealers left inside the beltway? I can't find any and so I take my Tahoe to Joyce Motors in Arlington.... but I'm sure Joyce will end up going high rise any day now ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: DH ()
Date: February 16, 2013 06:14PM

ChevyDude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Any Chevy dealers left inside the beltway? I
> can't find any and so I take my Tahoe to Joyce
> Motors in Arlington.... but I'm sure Joyce will
> end up going high rise any day now ...


Page Chevrolet just opened next to Jerry's Ford on Rt. 236. It is where Dave Pyles Lincoln Mercury use to be

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: lived in arlington ()
Date: February 16, 2013 11:48PM

is this at 29 and George Mason Drive in Arlington? That would be WAVA in the background

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: lived in arlington ()
Date: February 16, 2013 11:51PM

that is in reference to the photo of the Tops Diner posted on page one or two

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Facebook Thief ()
Date: February 17, 2013 09:42AM

Kmart is now Walmart.
Attachments:
Penn Daw 2.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 17, 2013 09:50AM

wasnt it a Hechingers at some point in time. I know there was also a Chuck E Cheese or Showbiz Pizza in there too I think.

what's that restaurant with the orange wrap-around roof on the other side of Rt 1? I think that's a Jerry Subs now, isnt it? Cause I'm pretty sure that brown building next to it is the back of the old Krispy Kreme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Facebook Thief ()
Date: February 17, 2013 10:35AM

@ Gordon KK was the next building. The brown building was a bank, you can see the drive-up window. Jerry's subs is right, then Applebee's. Chuck Cheese is next to Walmart now.
Attachments:
Krispy-Korner.jpg
krispy kreme-crop.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
DAMN - I miss that Krispy Kreme
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 17, 2013 01:00PM

@facebook - you so rock! thanks for ALL yr pics

the Chuck E Cheese is still there?!?!?! I cannot even imagine what it is like inside of that place these days..............

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DAMN - I miss that Krispy Kreme
Posted by: what? ()
Date: February 17, 2013 01:36PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @facebook - you so rock! thanks for ALL yr pics
>
> the Chuck E Cheese is still there?!?!?! I cannot
> even imagine what it is like inside of that place
> these days..............


that reeks of racism......why, cuz so many poor mexicans and africans live in the area? just horrible gordo.....thought you would be above that

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 17, 2013 02:15PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wasnt it a Hechingers at some point in time. I
> know there was also a Chuck E Cheese or Showbiz
> Pizza in there too I think.
>

I thought there was a hardware operation there, but I think it was something like a Builders Square. The firm that acquired Hechingers also acquired Builders Square and may have briefly renamed the story before Hechingers went under.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 17, 2013 02:39PM

Gordon Blvd @ January 27, 2013 12:35PM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess I'll repost this pic here too - the Hot
> Shoppes that Marriott turned into their Key Bridge
> flagship location


Gordo, since you posted the pic of the W&OD crossing Shirley Highway I thought I'd bring this around full circule.

The w&OD originally ran a trolley line between Georgetown and Great Falls which was connected in Bluemont Park in Arlington to the line between Alexandria and Loudoun County that crossed Shirley Highway. The W&OD in the 1920s had a station located at the same spot where the Hot Shoppes is located in this photo. DC trolleys continued to cross Key Bridge even after the W&OD stopped running passenger trains. If you look in the grass area at the end of the bridge you can make out a 2 car trolley train.

Options: ReplyQuote
me? ABOVE SOMETHING!?!!?!? ROFLMAO - you must be new here :)
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 17, 2013 02:41PM

what? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > @facebook - you so rock! thanks for ALL yr
> pics
> >
> > the Chuck E Cheese is still there?!?!?! I
> cannot
> > even imagine what it is like inside of that
> place
> > these days..............
>
>
> that reeks of racism......why, cuz so many poor
> mexicans and africans live in the area? just
> horrible gordo.....thought you would be above that

whelp, to be honest, I was thinking more about the fact that it was run down the last time I was in it, and that was back when this country was still hung up over how to spell "potato(e)" LoLz

aint nobody mentioned race on anything, yo - race aint even on the table in this thread - wtf is yr prob?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: CC ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:20AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wasnt it a Hechingers at some point in time. I
> know there was also a Chuck E Cheese or Showbiz
> Pizza in there too I think.
>
> what's that restaurant with the orange wrap-around
> roof on the other side of Rt 1? I think that's a
> Jerry Subs now, isnt it? Cause I'm pretty sure
> that brown building next to it is the back of the
> old Krispy Kreme

The building with the orange wrap around roof was most likely Church's Chicken. I don't recall if Church's came before Kmart left or what was there prior to Church's but Church's opened sometime around late 70s.....early 80s

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: image search ()
Date: February 18, 2013 07:27AM

Falls Church firehouse circa 1928
Attachments:
Falls+Church+Fire+Station.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:15AM

Paul VI HS football field, Fairfax - 1981. A Vienna team is beating the crap out of an FPYC team.
Attachments:
img080.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:59PM

^^^^^ Thats actually Pat Rodeo Park, which is behind the PVI property.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Canterbury woods ()
Date: February 18, 2013 03:10PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ^^^^^ Thats actually Pat Rodeo Park, which is
> behind the PVI property.


That is true. As I recall when the Fairfax high school (now Paul VI) was sold to George Mason College back in the 70's the Fairfax high athletic field was transfered to the Fairfax city parks and recreation dept. That building was the George mason computer lab back when one computer was the size of a ford pinto. Later on after sitting empty for a year or two it was sold to the Arlington diocese of the catholic church who put some money into it to open PaulVI. The athletic field remained the property of the park dept.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: February 18, 2013 03:14PM

^ Cool, thanks for the corrected detail.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Canterbury woods ()
Date: February 18, 2013 03:38PM

Speaking of the old Fairfax high school I found this picture of what was left of the WEEL radio studios after it burned in the early 60's. This was right next to the school behind the present day Mcdonalds.
Attachments:
weel radio.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: DirtMcGirt ()
Date: February 18, 2013 03:56PM

What't the deal with this dude in Falls Church who owns this huge corner "farm". The intersection is Wilson Blvd and McKinley


View Larger Map

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: DirtMcGirt ()
Date: February 18, 2013 03:59PM

Sorry amateur hour. Street view of the Falls Church farm house http://goo.gl/maps/wFUW7

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Keepie ()
Date: February 18, 2013 06:01PM

I read it was the Lothrop house, as in Woodward and Lothrop. It's a cool historical house that is falling apart. I wonder what their plan is.

Options: ReplyQuote
times change, eh?
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 18, 2013 06:04PM

@Dirt - wow! Never noticed that in my entire life - pretty cool.

There's a place like that in Fairfax City - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fairfax+city&hl=en&ll=38.844926,-77.300191&spn=0.0032,0.004823&client=firefox-a&hnear=Fairfax,+Virginia&gl=us&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=38.844896,-77.300002&panoid=a36jNh63CETVlw8kxyW3ug&cbp=12,23.15,,0,11.81 - right off of Main St. Dude used to have goats but I havent seen them in years.............

anyway, here's an old pic for ya - have fun :)

edit: been told to give a hint: well, since this pic was taken, North and South have changed LoLz. That's all ya get, kids ;)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 06:30PM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
nineteen sixty-five.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: times change, eh?
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 18, 2013 06:20PM

@Canterbury - hey look what I found in the back

LoLz
Attachments:
WWDC.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Z ()
Date: February 18, 2013 07:29PM

Bar J's in Lorton! I stole the pic from fliker- no idea who those people are. When I was going, the parking lot was a lot worse and the pallet was in front of the door in mud puddle.


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: down the line ()
Date: February 18, 2013 07:37PM

ravensworth farm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When they started building the Ravensworth farm
> subdivision in the early 60's my dad thought that
> it would be insane to buy a house "that far out in
> the country."
> 20 grand for a ravensworth house!
>
>
> Ravensworth Farm Development ,”
> braddockheritage.org/, accessed February 16, 2013,
> http://braddockheritage.org


WOW, the prices on the homes!!! fuck me running. It's no wonder why you have a generation of shit heads running around, instant wealth handed down to them.
Great article by the way!
Thanks for posting that!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: GFguy ()
Date: February 18, 2013 07:50PM

Buck and Alice Werner's "Economy Service" country store was a landmark that served the Great Falls community for over 40 years. Selling everything from animal feed and salt blocks to stove blacking, it was a news center and a place to gather sociably from 1944 until it closed in 1985.
Attachments:
bucks_store.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: BarJ ()
Date: February 18, 2013 07:59PM

Where in Lorton was Bar J's?

Was it near Hillbilly Haven?

When did it close?

Sorry for rapid fire.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: keepie ()
Date: February 18, 2013 08:30PM

Bar J was at 9377 Richmond Hwy. and was open from around 1980-1995. It was north of Hillbilly Heaven.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: February 18, 2013 10:31PM

Hint, it's not the Unitarian Church on Hunter Mill Road.
Attachments:
55.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Gail Force ()
Date: February 18, 2013 10:41PM

Gordon Blvd...is the picture of Dunn Loring UMC? It has been filled in somewhat thru the yrs if I am right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: BarJ ()
Date: February 18, 2013 10:47PM

Z Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bar J's in Lorton! I stole the pic from fliker-
> no idea who those people are. When I was going,
> the parking lot was a lot worse and the pallet was
> in front of the door in mud puddle.
>
>

My Dad liked that place but as a kid I threw a fit if he tried to take us there, it was nasty, I remember that the soda was warm and flat, like they scoped it out of a bucket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: times change, eh?
Posted by: 7C3NE ()
Date: February 18, 2013 10:50PM

Mason campus has changed a lot, when I went there it was a rural campus, now it's urban.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Zap ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:06PM

DirtMcGirt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry amateur hour. Street view of the Falls
> Church farm house http://goo.gl/maps/wFUW7


I drive past it daily. Looks OK from the street and the grounds are well kept. Why do you say it is falling apart?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:18PM

@7 - you aint kiddin'
@Gail - nope :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:23PM

Berdhuis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hint, it's not the Unitarian Church on Hunter Mill
> Road.

Nike missile base?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:27PM

@Berd/Bill - the one off of Popes Head? the Forestville one? or maybe the South County one?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 11:27PM by Gordon Blvd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Ole Virginny ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:29PM

Berdhuis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hint, it's not the Unitarian Church on Hunter Mill
> Road.


This photo dipicts the Lorton Nike Missile site on Furnace Road. The Lorton site was a "double" site that actually contained six missles rather than the usual three. There were a total of 13 sites around D.C., three were in Fairfax County. The Lorton site was the only one in Fairfax County that held both Nike-Ajax missiles and later on, Nike-Hercules missiles, which were suspected of containing nuclear warheads.

Each site actually contained two areas--the missile launch area (Furnace Rd.) and the radar site. The Lorton radar site was located off of Silverbrook Rd., basically where the new Lorton middle school was recently built on Laurel Crest Dr. On maps, you can still make out the old road that travels from Silverbrook to the back of the school.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Old Dude ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:19AM

down the line Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ravensworth farm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When they started building the Ravensworth farm
> > subdivision in the early 60's my dad thought
> that
> > it would be insane to buy a house "that far out
> in
> > the country."
> > 20 grand for a ravensworth house!
> >
> >
> > Ravensworth Farm Development ,”
> > braddockheritage.org/, accessed February 16,
> 2013,
> > http://braddockheritage.org
>
>
> WOW, the prices on the homes!!! fuck me running.
> It's no wonder why you have a generation of shit
> heads running around, instant wealth handed down
> to them.
> Great article by the way!
> Thanks for posting that!


An older neighbor was one the original owners in our subdivision which was built in the later 50s early 60s. He said there were two models - the standard house for $17K or you could step up to the upgraded model which gave you a laundry room and finished basement and a few other little perks for $20K. Last appraisal I think was around $650K-ish. Ridiculous for what these houses are. Mostly all in the land value.

That's not as great as it seems though. A lot of that is pure inflation. $20K then = about $175K today. By the time you add in maintenance, improvements, finance/opportunity cost, taxes, and all of the rest over the years on an inflation adjusted basis, selling costs, etc., you've done OK but you're not getting rich.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: holy spirit grad ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:08AM

This is the best thread ever on fairfax underground. Cool pictures, stories and everyone is being civil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 19, 2013 08:16AM

@holy - I know right? Even I'm being good LoLz
@ole - hard to believe there were nukes in Lorton......................then again, it might explain a lot LoLz

@about my pic above - if y'all didnt guess by now, it's GMU's original Quad. Finley, East, Krug and West Buildings - That parking lot is where the current Quad is now. That concrete looking thingee on the right of the pic is where Lecture Hall is.

GMU question. Thompson Hall is named after Lorin A. Thompson, first pres of the school. Does anybody know if this cat is related to the dude from Law and Order who ran for president? Cause.................................well, heck - look
Attachments:
lorin_thompson.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:37AM

Old Dude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> That's not as great as it seems though. A lot of
> that is pure inflation. $20K then = about $175K
> today. By the time you add in maintenance,
> improvements, finance/opportunity cost, taxes, and
> all of the rest over the years on an inflation
> adjusted basis, selling costs, etc., you've done
> OK but you're not getting rich.

Anyone remember what the interest rates were back then? 12-15%? People buying new homes wouldnt be able to afford all those fully loaded town houses and SFH they're buying out in Loudoun county today at those rates.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:16PM

"Does anybody know "
Doubtful, as Dr. Thompson was from Colorado...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Scott ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:21PM

Don't know if their related, but he does look like former Senator Fred Dalton Thompson (from Law & Order)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:43PM

@Scott - they really, really do
@Jess - well I have relatives in California but live here - it's possible....................

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Went There Then ()
Date: February 19, 2013 12:47PM

@gordon - You got it backwards. The Finley (then known as the "North" building) is to the lower right. It and the parking area faced University Drive, off to the lower right. That circle in front of it still exists, or did until very recently. The Lecture hall was built about a yearlater off to the left of the picture facing the 'East" building where the Volkswagon is parked. That diagonal walk was made of driveway gravel, since there was no budget to pave it and most of the students entered from a larger parking lot in that direction.

Todays main Quad would be toward the top of the picture. (probably 1965 or 66)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Srsly? ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:27PM

Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't know if their related, but he does look like
> former Senator Fred Dalton Thompson (from Law &
> Order)

And "Thompson" is such an uncommon name, after all...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Old Dude ()
Date: February 19, 2013 01:38PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old Dude Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > That's not as great as it seems though. A lot
> of
> > that is pure inflation. $20K then = about
> $175K
> > today. By the time you add in maintenance,
> > improvements, finance/opportunity cost, taxes,
> and
> > all of the rest over the years on an inflation
> > adjusted basis, selling costs, etc., you've
> done
> > OK but you're not getting rich.
>
> Anyone remember what the interest rates were back
> then? 12-15%? People buying new homes wouldnt be
> able to afford all those fully loaded town houses
> and SFH they're buying out in Loudoun county today
> at those rates.


They hit 18% effective at one point. I knew some people who actually bought at those rates.

But then you didn't have much choice if you were buying and there was some thought at the time that they could be going even higher.

My first was at 9.5% and that was considered 'good' at the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Gordn Blvd bass-ass backward? Nah, couldnt be! LoLz
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 19, 2013 04:26PM

@Srs - it's really more the fact they look like bros more than the name. I saw the pic and I totally did a doubletake - then I saw the name and I was like NO WAY!

@Went - OMG! Totally THANK YOU for pointing that out! YOu can totally see it now, the parking lot is the old "Front" of the Finley Building - my bad! So yeah, Lecture Hall is to the left in that pic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gordn Blvd bass-ass backward? Nah, couldnt be! LoLz
Posted by: prison view ()
Date: February 19, 2013 09:21PM

Most Fairfax county residents would like to forget the lorton prison that was a part of our community for so long. Like it or not it is part of our history.
Attachments:
lorton.jpg
First Tower.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: eewwww....i had it ()
Date: February 20, 2013 10:30AM

dang it gordo, i had you on this one....beleive it or not i had that pic identified....but not from being a student or super familier with the school but because i made a delivery to that parking lot two years ago during the renovations....the lot is still the same shape and i guess its oddness just stuck in my mind....but i saw this thread after you answered your riddle....keep them guessing longer next time...LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gordn Blvd bass-ass backward? Nah, couldnt be! LoLz
Posted by: WTF???? ()
Date: February 20, 2013 12:07PM

prison view Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most Fairfax county residents would like to forget
> the lorton prison that was a part of our community
> for so long. Like it or not it is part of our
> history.


When Fairfax County gets the money the Lorton Penetiary will be developed into condos, apartments, townhomes, retail shops, restaurants, and an office complex.

Demolition will start this spring!

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/master_plan.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gordn Blvd bass-ass backward? Nah, couldnt be! LoLz
Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 20, 2013 12:22PM

WTF???? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> prison view Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Most Fairfax county residents would like to
> forget
> > the lorton prison that was a part of our
> community
> > for so long. Like it or not it is part of our
> > history.
>
>
> When Fairfax County gets the money the Lorton
> Penetiary will be developed into condos,
> apartments, townhomes, retail shops, restaurants,
> and an office complex.
>
> Demolition will start this spring!
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/master
> _plan.htm


Yes, Fairfax County loves to have more development and what that brings -- TAXES. I'd really prefer having more open space, even if its a prison.

I am far from a bleed heart but feel sorry for the prisoners' families not being able to see them. Plus, whenever there was an escape the prisoners just hight-tailed it back up 95 into the District.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gordn Blvd bass-ass backward? Nah, couldnt be! LoLz
Date: February 20, 2013 01:10PM

WTF???? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> prison view Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Most Fairfax county residents would like to
> forget
> > the lorton prison that was a part of our
> community
> > for so long. Like it or not it is part of our
> > history.
>
>
> When Fairfax County gets the money the Lorton
> Penetiary will be developed into condos,
> apartments, townhomes, retail shops, restaurants,
> and an office complex.
>
> Demolition will start this spring!
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/laurelhill/master
> _plan.htm

I always thought it would be a great place for a golf course. They have one now. I haven't played it, but it looks nice. They could probably add another one or two. Make it a vacation destination.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: peeyou ()
Date: February 20, 2013 07:56PM

On a nice warm day with the wind blowing right, can you smell the dump?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gordn Blvd bass-ass backward? Nah, couldnt be! LoLz
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:20AM

blanche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Yes, Fairfax County loves to have more development
> and what that brings -- TAXES. I'd really prefer
> having more open space, even if its a prison.
>
> I am far from a bleed heart but feel sorry for the
> prisoners' families not being able to see them.
> Plus, whenever there was an escape the prisoners
> just hight-tailed it back up 95 into the District.


Hun, that prison was one of the main reasons DC was such a violent shithole for the 90's. About 70-80% of the crack trade was run thru there. The largest mafia in the district was HQ'd there. There's NO COINCUIDENCE that the drug trade violence stared dropping like a f**king rock once they closed that place. - Yeah, it is pretty open space and I PRAY that they keep a cpl of the towers up, at least one of them. But yeah, it's better to keep Prison population away from the community they terrorized. It was hurting not only us, but their community as well.

p.s. hey County! I'd pay a dollar just to go up in there to see the view - I bet others would too - $omething to think about ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Hobbes100 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:36PM

According to all the plans, the towers will be kept and renovated. If you haven't driven through there, it's fairly interesting if you use your imagination.

I like the history attached to the place. Amazing when you think the prison covered at one point 3500 acres (in Fairfax County!) and was self-sufficient with a dairy, farm, railroad, stables and the original Laurel Hill house. Hell, they even made their own bricks used for the cellblocks. It also was involved with the women's suffrage movement. If interested, check out http://workhousemuseums.org/

Anyone looking forward to living in a renovated penitentiary?

Anyone realize that Chuck Brown was a Lorton Prison guest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: try this for adventure ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:24PM

wanna try something fun? try driving a tractor trailer down the middle of the lorton prison with no less than 500 "gen-pop" completely surrounding your truck asking for a nickle or a quarter or whatever they were trying to tell me through my closed window (100 degrees outside with no a/c but damned if i cared).....my only protection? a prison guard with a baton in a dodge reliant k-car so far out in front of me that he lost complete sight of me after going around multple turns.....white boy pucker factor? 1000 fucking percent !!....went inside the prison twice but i made multiple deliveries to the commissary receiving dock that was outside the prison.....one such delivery was of course.....wait for it.... an entire pallet of vasoline...i shit you not.... good times, good times

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Hobbes100 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:23PM

try this for adventure Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wanna try something fun? try driving a tractor
> trailer down the middle of the lorton prison with
> no less than 500 "gen-pop" completely surrounding
> your truck asking for a nickle or a quarter or
> whatever they were trying to tell me through my
> closed window (100 degrees outside with no a/c but
> damned if i cared).....my only protection? a
> prison guard with a baton in a dodge reliant k-car
> so far out in front of me that he lost complete
> sight of me after going around multple
> turns.....white boy pucker factor? 1000 fucking
> percent !!....went inside the prison twice but i
> made multiple deliveries to the commissary
> receiving dock that was outside the prison.....one
> such delivery was of course.....wait for it.... an
> entire pallet of vasoline...i shit you not....
> good times, good times


You had to use the expression "pucker factor" along with vaseline in the same story?

Ick, but rather funny at the same time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:44PM

The Farm would have been good to keep, Inmates are better off in Ohio.
Attachments:
front.jpg
ashes.jpg
ashpics.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: too old to care ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:24AM

If you look close enough at this card you will see it says Falls Church. Mr Gibsons resturant and cottages were at the intersection of what is now Annandale Rd and 29,211 and 50. Not far from The Falls Church. I lived in the main house in the 40's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: too old to care ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:43AM

Gibsons Resturant and cottages were not in Kamp Washington. They were located at the intersection og 50,29,211 and Annandale Road. I lived in the main house in the 40's. Near The Falls Church on Lee Highway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:51AM

Berdhuis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paul VI HS football field, Fairfax - 1981. A
> Vienna team is beating the crap out of an FPYC
> team.


Awesome FCYFL throwback pic. EXCELLENT!! Things haven't changed much. Vienna would still be whooping Fairfax today...lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: February 22, 2013 12:16PM

Old reston avenue
Attachments:
EP-703309728.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: February 22, 2013 12:19PM

How about that! Even the sign on top of the train depot says "Sunset Hills".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: February 22, 2013 12:30PM

Old Gibson's MC...no street info though...
Attachments:
gibsons.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: February 22, 2013 12:52PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about that! Even the sign on top of the train
> depot says "Sunset Hills".


Sunset Hills going left to Right. Sunset Hills was the railroad. Today the sreet runs parallel. The railroad is now the bike path part of the W&O. The Road in the middle is "Reston Ave".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Way Back Machine ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:00PM

Ahmayzin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hay Zeus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How about that! Even the sign on top of the
> train
> > depot says "Sunset Hills".
>
>
> Sunset Hills going left to Right. Sunset Hills
> was the railroad. Today the sreet runs parallel.
> The railroad is now the bike path part of the W&O.
> The Road in the middle is "Reston Ave".


Yup, just to the right was the old Bowman Distillery. i remember when the 7-11 right there had just opened, there wasn't much else out there back then.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: White Possibly Hispanic ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:09PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: White Possibly Hispanic ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:11PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: White Possibly Hispanic ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:30PM

Who remembers skate world in Alexandria?




Options: ReplyQuote
is this sign even still there?
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:54PM

.
Attachments:
ar118764480887102.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is this sign even still there?
Posted by: Lortonite ()
Date: February 22, 2013 03:56PM

No, damn it. They took it down a year or two ago, but the post is still there so maybe they'll put it back up eventually.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:26PM

There is a building on Route 1 I've wondered about. It is just north of Beacon Mall and I believe A&A Rental is there. From the front it looks like a single story building with three bays, but on the side it clearly has two stories, and it is situate at about a 45 degree angle to Route 1. I'm guessing it dates from the 1940s. Anyone know what it originally was?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: times change, eh?
Posted by: GMU ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:34PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Dirt - wow! Never noticed that in my entire life
> - pretty cool.
>
> There's a place like that in Fairfax City -
> http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fairfax+city&hl=en&l
> l=38.844926,-77.300191&spn=0.0032,0.004823&client=
> firefox-a&hnear=Fairfax,+Virginia&gl=us&t=m&z=18&l
> ayer=c&cbll=38.844896,-77.300002&panoid=a36jNh63CE
> TVlw8kxyW3ug&cbp=12,23.15,,0,11.81 - right off of
> Main St. Dude used to have goats but I havent
> seen them in years.............
>
> anyway, here's an old pic for ya - have fun :)
>
> edit: been told to give a hint: well, since this
> pic was taken, North and South have changed LoLz.
> That's all ya get, kids ;)

The old quad at George Mason University, back then George Mason College.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Facebook Thief ()
Date: February 22, 2013 06:14PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a building on Route 1 I've wondered
> about. It is just north of Beacon Mall and I
> believe A&A Rental is there. From the front it
> looks like a single story building with three
> bays, but on the side it clearly has two stories,
> and it is situate at about a 45 degree angle to
> Route 1. I'm guessing it dates from the 1940s.
> Anyone know what it originally was?

Yes,Penn Daw firehouse #11
Attachments:
Penn Daw Firehouse.jpg
Penn Daw firehouse 1.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Tysons Engineer ()
Date: February 22, 2013 06:22PM

This is the best thread on FFU. Where are you guys finding these photos? Personal archives or public?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Facebook Thief ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:38PM

Rt 1.
Attachments:
Groveton-1970s.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:54PM

Hint: I know some of you have rabotali here....
Attachments:
pp.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Date: February 22, 2013 08:56PM

Facebook Thief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rt 1.

Hey - That's Beacon Mall!(TWO PICTURES ABOVE ^^^^^^) I used to live down South Kings Highway during that era. Anyone have a picture of the Putt Putt Golf in Hybla Valley?

Below is a picture of the landing field that was there before there was a Beacon Mall:





Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 08:56PM by White Possibly Hispanic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Facebook Thief ()
Date: February 22, 2013 09:31PM

White Possibly Hispanic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone have a picture of the
> Putt Putt Golf in Hybla Valley?
>
>
Yes
Attachments:
Putt-Putt-300x204.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Date: February 22, 2013 09:57PM

Facebook Thief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> White Possibly Hispanic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Anyone have a picture of the
> > Putt Putt Golf in Hybla Valley?
> >
> >
> Yes

Many of quarters wasted in that building playing my first arcade games. Many thanks, Facebook Thief!


Berdhuis (): Arlington Hall

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 22, 2013 10:09PM

Facebook Thief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill.N. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There is a building on Route 1 I've wondered
> > about. It is just north of Beacon Mall and I
> > believe A&A Rental is there.
> > Anyone know what it originally was?
>
> Yes,Penn Daw firehouse #11

Thanks. Structure is slightly altered but that's it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Route uno ()
Date: February 23, 2013 06:57AM

For the picture of Beacon Mall, it still shows Groveton Elementary...the building surrounded by the buses...when did that get ripped down? There is a new apartment building there, for the last ten years or so before that, it was a giant pit...by the way, supposedly Donna Dixon went there.

For the Putt Putt picture, where exactly was that? It shows what looks like a 2 story office building behind it...

Thanks, great pictures/memories...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: whyme ()
Date: February 23, 2013 08:21AM

I could not find any pictures, but back in the late 80's they actually built a house in the center court of Fair Oaks Mall, between the information center and the elevator (where Santa sets up shop now). I cannot remember why they did it, but I remember you could buy tickets and tour the place. I know it had electricity, but not sure about running water. It was a 2 story colonial if I remember correctly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: Facebook Thief ()
Date: February 23, 2013 10:16AM

Route uno Wrote:

>
>
> For the Putt Putt picture, where exactly was that?
> It shows what looks like a 2 story office building
> behind it...
>
>
Attachments:
Putt Putt.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 23, 2013 11:31AM

I think there was a Putt-Putt at Beacon Mall (which I think is the initial picture), as well as, one at Hyla Valley Shopping Center where the Home Depot, SFW, etc. are located now which is the most recent photo

Does anyone have a picture of the old Atlantic Reseach Building off 395 and near Edsall Road?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: AtlanticResearchBuilding ()
Date: February 23, 2013 12:26PM

> Does anyone have a picture of the old Atlantic Reseach Building
> off 395 and near Edsall Road?
Attachments:
arb.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: DH ()
Date: February 23, 2013 01:58PM

too old to care Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gibsons Resturant and cottages were not in Kamp
> Washington. They were located at the intersection
> og 50,29,211 and Annandale Road. I lived in the
> main house in the 40's. Near The Falls Church on
> Lee Highway.


You sure that isn't 29/211, Annandale Rd and Hillwood Ave.?
50 and 29/211 don't come together around Annandale Rd.?
I remember some cottages at Hillwood Ave. back in the 60's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old pictures of Fairfax county, love em!
Posted by: henry gibson ()
Date: February 23, 2013 02:11PM

DH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> too old to care Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gibsons Resturant and cottages were not in Kamp
> > Washington. They were located at the
> intersection
> > og 50,29,211 and Annandale Road. I lived in the
> > main house in the 40's. Near The Falls Church
> on
> > Lee Highway.
>
>
> You sure that isn't 29/211, Annandale Rd and
> Hillwood Ave.?
> 50 and 29/211 don't come together around Annandale
> Rd.?
> I remember some cottages at Hillwood Ave. back in
> the 60's.


Ill repost this Gibson cottage postcard from page 2 of this thread. It says at the bottom that its 50 and 211. I wonder if the roads were set up different back then.
Attachments:
gibson cottages.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 119


Your Name: 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********  **     **  ********   ********  **     ** 
 **        **     **  **     **  **        **     ** 
 **        **     **  **     **  **        **     ** 
 ******    **     **  ********   ******    ********* 
 **        **     **  **         **        **     ** 
 **        **     **  **         **        **     ** 
 ********   *******   **         **        **     ** 
This forum powered by Phorum.